World War Z 2

A sequel to World War Z has been in the works ever since the first film became a monster hit, earning over $540 million worldwide. However, in the five years since then, it’s had plenty of delays and has gone back and forth between being a project that David Fincher would return to direct. At one time Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom director J.A. Bayona was even aboard the project, choosing to take on the zombie sequel instead of the dinosaur sequel, but we all know how that worked out.

Now we have word that World War Z 2 is still alive (or undead) and kicking, straight from producers Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner. The two revealed that not only is David Fincher is still attached to direct once again, but Brad Pitt is also back, and production is now slated to begin next summer. Read More »

Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull

In this edition of sequel bits:

  • Don’t expect to see Super Size Me 2 anytime soon (even though one of the film’s subjects would like you to).
  • J.A. Bayona reveals why he dropped out of World War Z 2.
  • Terry Crews says he won’t be in Expendables 4 due to threats from the film’s producer.
  • Natalie Portman is down for a V for Vendetta sequel.
  • Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy announce It Chapter 2 production.
  • A new poster for The First Purge.
  • The Sicario 2 director reveals why he didn’t consult with Sicario director Denis Villeneuve.
  • Jon Kasdan confirms he’s writing Indiana Jones 5.
  • Platinum Dunes insists they want to make more Friday the 13th films.
  • Jumanji 3 will probably begin filming next year.

Read More »

sequel bits the nun

In this edition of sequel bits:

  • Goosebumps 2 adds a new cast member
  • A scary-as-hell first look at The Nun
  • Alien has a new VR experience
  • Bryce Dallas Howard is wearing heels again for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, so brace yourselves for more hot takes
  • World War Z 2 is on hold
  • If you want more Deadpool, IMAX will screen a double-feature

Read More »

Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2

In this edition of Sequel Bits:

  • Game Night writer already has sequel ideas
  • Gugu Mbatha-Raw didn’t know The Cloverfield Paradox was going to drop on Netflix
  • J.J. Abrams explains the Cloverfield Paradox ending
  • The Purge TV series casts its leads
  • Planet of the Apes VR game gets a trailer
  • Wreck-It-Ralph 2 directors discuss their sequel
  • Frozen 2 director dances around the issue of Elsa having a girlfriend
  • Bruce Campbell says another Evil Dead movie is possible
  • Bruce Willis wakes up from a nap to remind us Die Hard 6 is still happening
  • World War Z 2 filming pushed back so Brad Pitt can film Quentin Tarantino‘s new movie

Read More »

Sequel Bits Pitch Perfect

In this edition of Sequel Bits:

  • Pitch Perfect 3 director talks about a potential Pitch Perfect 4
  • Alien: Covenant‘s Ridley Scott compares Alien to Star Wars and Star Trek and gives an update about his planned sequel
  • Neill Blomkamp says he’s “moved on” from his take on Alien 5
  • Power Rangers actor explains how his character will change in a possible sequel
  • And more!

Read More »

David Fincher Directing World War Z 2

Late last summer, we heard that Brad Pitt was hoping to wrangle his Se7en, Fight Club and Curious Case of Benjamin Button director David Fincher to get behind the camera for the gestating sequel to the zombie pandemic thriller World War Z. Since the project didn’t really feel like Fincher’s cup of tea, especially after he publicly discussed his displeasure directing Alien 3 all the way back in 1992, we didn’t think this would ever come to fruition. Then we heard the fillmmaker was actively interested in the project earlier this year, and now David Fincher directing World War Z 2 is very close to becoming a reality. Read More »

fincher

Six months ago it was reported David Fincher (The Social Network) was in talks to direct World War Z 2, following director J.A. Bayona‘s (A Monster Calls) departure from the sequel. Yesterday Paramount finally scrapped the project’s 2017 summer release date. But the good news is Fincher is still considering the World War Z sequel. The meticulous filmmaker reportedly wants to make a film that’s not as costly as Marc Forster’s $200 million popcorn movie, which came out a success story after a troubled production.

Below, learn more about Fincher’s involvement with the World War Z sequel.

Read More »

World War Z

Paramount’s making some changes to its 2017 release calendar. Both the long-gestating World War Z sequel and the even longer-gestating Friday the 13th reboot have been pulled off the schedule entirely. Meanwhile, in happier news, Darren Aronofsky‘s mother!, starring Jennifer Lawrence, is now set to come out this fall. Click through for all the latest details. Read More »

world war z 2

I’ll file this one under “I’ll believe it when I see it,” but here goes nothing: it seems that Brad Pitt and Paramount are currently courting David Fincher to direct the sequel to 2013’s World War Z. Nothing has been confirmed and no dotted lines have been John Hancocked, but the Gone Girl director seems to be current choice to take over the project. There’s a lot of baggage to sort through here and a dozen different reasons while he would say no to this job, but let’s take a moment to imagine a zombie apocalypse film directed by a filmmaker as meticulous and remorseless as Fincher. That would be the exact kick in the rear this burgeoning franchise needs.

Read More »

Cool Posts From Around the Web:

world war z sequel director

Someone needs to write a book about the production of World War Z. It shouldn’t happen now – too many people involved have a vested interest in keeping their mouths shut – but as the years roll on and lips start to loosen, someone needs to track down everyone involved and get the whole story. The infamously troubled production, which endured several calamities before its final 45 minutes were completely scrapped, rewritten, and reshot, sounds like a genuinely fascinating ordeal.

And its sequel isn’t getting off to a smooth start, either. A little more than two years after signing up for the job, director Juan Antonio Bayona has stepped away from the film, which was supposed to shoot this year for a 2017 release. Are we allowed to talk about this series being cursed yet? Because it’s one more major setback away from being totally cursed.

Read More »