After Star Wars Episode 9 hits theaters this winter, we don’t know what’s coming next on the big screen from the galaxy far, far away. Director Rian Johnson has a new Star Wars trilogy he’s working on, and Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have another (supposed) trilogy that will be completely separate from the primary saga and the aforementioned developing trilogy. But now we might have an idea of what Benioff and Weiss will give us, and if this rumor is true, it’s right up their alley. Read More »
Just yesterday, we called your attention to a Star Wars: The Old Republic trailer for the new expansion pack Knights of the Eternal Throne. It’s an awesome cinematic trailer that shows the potential for Star Wars movies that can exist without having direct ties to any of the characters, events and locations that we’re more familiar with from the primary Star Wars saga films. It turns out some other fans agree, but they want to see these stories play out in a different medium.
A new petition from Change.org (where all the most important issues are championed) has a group of Star Wars fans asking that Disney and Lucasfilm turn Star Wars: The Old Republic into a TV series on Netflix. Find out more below. Read More »
One of the chief concerns fans had about the direction of the Star Wars saga over at Disney and Lucasfilm was that the companies might not take advantage of how expansive the galaxy far, far away can be. While it makes sense that Star Wars: The Force Awakens would continue the legacy and story of the main characters from the previous two trilogies, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is still playing things rather safe by focusing on a plot tied directly to the events of the first movie.
We’re happy to cut Disney and Lucasfilm some slack for Rogue One since this spin-off is kind of a grand experiment to see if fans like these separate stories. But after that there’s a Han Solo spin-off, indicating that there’s not an immediate plan to branch out further away from the characters, events, and locations we’ve come to know. Sure, there’s plenty of new stuff in Rogue One, but fans want more.
It appears some of the best original stories are being told in the video game world with the MMORPG game Star Wars: The Old Republic. The game has a new expansion pack coming out this December called Knights of the Eternal Throne, and the cinematic trailer they just released for it is a perfect example of the kind of the original, standalone stories that can exist in the Star Wars universe. Read More »
A lot of Star Wars video game news out of E3 2015 today. Earlier today we wrote about the new digital collectible card game Star Wars: Galaxy Of Heroes, and also posted a Star Wars: Battlefront trailer showing 5 minutes of assault on both gameplay footage. Its not over just yet. Lets take a first look at Star Wars: The Old Republic—Knights of the Fallen Empire, a free expansion pack coming later this month that promises a return to cinematic storytelling. Watch the Star Wars: The Old Republic – Knights of the Fallen Empire trailer embedded after the jump.
Read More »
A major question may have been answered and a major amount of art is featured in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about:
- Mark Hamill offers a cryptic tease of Luke Skywalker’s role in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- There’s a real lack of female characters made as Hasbro Star Wars toys.
- Check out a preview of Marvel’s Star Wars #3.
- Greg Grunberg talks about working on, and the secrecy surrounding Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- See a bunch of exclusive art that will be available at Star Wars Celebration.
- Has Rey’s speeder already made it into the world of Star Wars?
- A large batch of rumors, some new some old, have been posted online.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, May 1st, 2014 by Angie Han
Everyone’s making plans for Star Wars Day on May the 4th. After the jump:
- Future Star Wars games will be canon, says Lucasfilm
- Timothy Zahn weighs in on the EU and official canon
- Chris Miller points out his own contribution to the canon
- See a promo for The Big Bang Theory‘s Star Wars episode
- Browse some Star Wars Day prints from Dark Ink
- Get details on Disney’s Stormtrooper-centric art exhibit
- Watch the first full Star Wars Rebels trailer on May 4
- In the meantime, flip through some Star Wars Rebels pics
- … and read a lengthy interview with Rebels‘ Dave Filoni
Read More »
There was actual Star Wars movie news Tuesday when a Disney shareholders letter revealed Star Wars Rebels would debut with a full length movie. However, that wasn’t the only interesting thing in the document. Below, read about another huge piece of information and more.
- Disney thinks they have 40 years worth of content thanks to Star Wars.
- Watch a trailer for the new free-to-play Star Wars: The Old Republic expansion.
- One location proposal for a George Lucas museum has been rejected.
- Star Wars characters might be coming to Disney Infinity.
- A familiar face holding the number “7” graces the cover of an international movie magazine.
- Star Wars Episode VII starts filming in May.
Read More »
A confirmed filming location for Star Wars Episode VII, a possible actor for the film, two new languages and even a national award. This edition of Star Wars Bits is everywhere. After the jump, read about the following:
- Star Wars Episode VII is confirmed to shoot at Pinewood Studios.
- Lord of the Rings star Dominic Monaghan hinted he might be up for Star Wars Episode VII.
- Gamers can now play as an Ewok in Star Wars: The Old Republic.
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope has been dubbed into Navajo.
- Ray Park would love to reprise the role of Darth Maul.
- George Lucas is going to be given the National Medal of Arts.
- Darth Vader is once again a spokesperson, this time for Pringles.
- A new book has translated Star Wars into Shakespeare; see a trailer.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Love is in the air in this edition of Star Wars Bits. After the jump read a few romantic stories, a few speculative ones, some Star Wars history and a possible massive hint at Episode VII. Here’s what we’ve got:
- Disney announced the dates of their long running Star Wars Weekends in 2013
- Ewan McGregor would “be up for” Star Wars Episode VII if needed.
- A long-lost short film that played in front of The Empire Strike Back, Black Angel, might soon resurface online.
- Wes Anderson thinks he could make a good Han Solo origin movie.
- Star Wars MMO The Old Republic is trying to incorporate same sex romance.
- George Lucas just got engaged to the chairman of DreamWorks animation.
- If you have an idea for a Pringles Star Wars commercial, you could win $75,000.
- Could the lead character of Star Wars Episode VII be female?
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, December 20th, 2012 by Angie Han
Episode VII isn’t coming out for a few years yet, but 2013 promises lots of non-cinematic Star Wars releases, including a new comic book series, a novel by Timothy Zahn, and an expansion to The Old Republic. After the jump:
- George Lucas once had plans for four Star Wars trilogies
- Kathleen Kennedy teases an Episode VII update coming in January
- Ewan McGregor wants to return, maybe as a hologram
- Samuel L. Jackson is also willing to return as a ghost
- Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman talk Star Wars: Legacy
- Timothy Zahn discusses his novel Scoundrels and Episode VII
- Star Wars: The Old Republic is getting an expansion
Read More »