In this edition of Sequel Bits:
- Kung Fu Hustle 2 is currently being developed.
- Some updates on the mysterious Ghostbusters 3.
- There’s still a chance we’ll see a “U.S.S. Callister” follow-up, but it won’t be in Black Mirror season 5.
- Brad Bird and Patton Oswalt make a disgusting joke about the fictional Ratatouille 2.
- Jason Blum wants 10 more Halloween sequels.
- Avatar franchise producer Jon Landau isn’t worried about that long gap between Avatar and Avatar 2.
- James Cameron has plans for Alita sequels, but don’t get your hopes up.
- Just what is going on with that Pirates of the Caribbean reboot?
Read More »
Disney has confirmed the previously-reported Pirates of the Caribbean reboot cast will not feature Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. This was mostly assumed when the reboot first came to light, but now it appears to be official. Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, the writing team behind Deadpool, are tackling the reboot script, which will find new ways to adapt Disney’s popular ride-turned-film-franchise.
Read More »
(Welcome to The Soapbox, the space where we get loud, feisty, political, and opinionated about anything and everything. In this edition: with Pirates of the Caribbean being rebooted, it’s time to note that this series is not all about a single actor or character.)
In the year of our dark lord Cthulhu 2018, the only true zombies are movie franchises. No matter how steep the diminishing box office returns, no matter how loudly we collectively groan when another installment is announced, sequel and reboots and spinoffs just keep lumbering to the local cineplex. One of the latest is Disney’s mega-popular Pirates of the Caribbean saga. It was announced last month that the Mouse House is considering a Pirates reboot and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it ever since…especially since it was revealed that Johnny Depp is most likely not returning for this new adventure.
To which I say: that’s probably for the best.
Read More »
Production on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, the fifth film in the multi-billion dollar franchise, has been done for awhile now. But it appears there may be one more addition to the cast that we hadn’t heard about, someone from one of the previous films in the franchise who will be brought back alongside other returning cast members like Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow and Orlando Bloom as Will Turner.
However, revealing who this returning cast member might be is a bit of a spoiler for those wanting to stay in the dark regarding any surprises, so you’ll have to find out who it is after the jump. Read More »