Jeremy Dyson and Andy Nyman’s remarkably ambiguous Ghost Stories is unconventional, structurally bonkers and bloody-freakin’-brilliant. As an adaptation of their widely-popular West End theater fixture, both men translate stage cues to fainthearted filmmaking in ways that never feel stuffy or overproduced (something like Miss Julie). Tear-away backgrounds that connect wholly different locations are just as astounding cinematic tricks as they’d be in person if only to ensure this daring blend of dread and inquisition be that much more an unsolvable puzzle. How do you get away with crafting a successfully sublime “Whothunkit” about the unknown? I don’t know – ask Ghost Stories. Read More »
Martin Freeman and mysteries seem to go hand-in-hand, but instead of playing a modern-day Sherlock Holmes’ trusty sidekick, the British actor finds himself on the other side of a case.
Freeman plays one of three “ghost stories” being investigated by a skeptical professor (Andy Nyman) in Ghost Stories, a British horror film based on Nyman and Jeremy Dyson’s stage play of the same name. You can watch the new trailer below.
Read More »
There’s so much in this edition of Sequel Bits it’s insane. Let’s get going. After the jump read about the following:
- David Fincher is still figuring out how to make The Girl Who Played With Fire.
- Ron Perlman still has no idea when Hellboy 3 might happen.
- A new image from Paranormal Activity 4 has been released.
- Frank Marshall said “all possibilities are open” if the Bourne franchise continues.
- Andy Nyman has been cast as The Tumor in Kick-Ass 2.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was voted the most disappointing film of all time.
- NBA superstar LeBron James tweeted that he’d love to make Space Jam 2.
- Lake Placid: The Final Chapter, starring Robert Englund, premieres next month.
- Check out photos of Jessica Alba preparing for Sin City: A Dame To Kill For.
Read More »
The big Elijah Wood news in the past couple days was that the actor will appear in The Hobbit to reprise his character Frodo from The Lord of the Rings. (Details on that appearance here.) But he’s also got another role booked: he’ll be Ben Gunn in a Sky TV adaptation of Treasure Island, scripted by Stewart Harcourt and directed by Steve Barron (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Eddie Izzard is playing Long John Silver, which is brilliant.
After the break, Neve Campbell books a role to follow Scream 4, and Michael Fassbender circles a Sean Penn film.
Read More »
When Christopher Smith‘s movie Black Death was announced, I was interested simply for the fact that Smith was making a film set in the dark ages starring Sean Bean. I’d liked Smith’s first film Creep and loved his follow-up, Severance. And now, after recently seeing his excellent third film, Triangle, I’m more interested than ever. Now there’s a trailer for Black Death that shows off just what he’s trying to achieve this time out. Read More »