Abrams WarnerMedia

Last week, it was announced that Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker director J.J. Abrams signed a contract to move his Bad Robot Productions over to WarnerMedia, where he’ll write, produce, and direct films and TV shows for Warner Bros., HBO, and the upcoming streaming service HBO Max. Now some additional information has emerged about the terms of that deal, which explain why Abrams rejected a reported $500 million offer from Apple and chose to take much less money to work with WarnerMedia instead. Read the details below. Read More »

Abrams deal

Update: Variety’s initial report indicated that this deal was worth $500 million, but it turns out Abrams and his team actually took less money – around $250 million – to work with WarnerMedia in order to have the freedom to be able to sell projects to other outlets as well as produce content for WB and HBO Max. Our original article follows.

Late last year, studios began vying to sign a “megadeal” with J.J. Abrams and his Bad Robot Productions which was valued at around $500 million. Disney, Apple, and WarnerMedia were reportedly the top contenders, but since Abrams has been working with Warner Bros. TV for the past thirteen years, WarnerMedia ended up winning out in the end. After months of hammering out the details, that megadeal has now been officially finalized, and you can read about what it’ll mean for the future of Abrams and Bad Robot below. Read More »

Update #3: AMC has joined CBS and NBC in threatening to pull production out of Georgia locations if the state passes the controversial and restrictive abortion law currently being considered. This would be another huge blow to the state’s revenue since The Walking Dead has set up home base since the show’s beginning back in 2010. The series no longer takes place in Georgia, where the story started, but production still takes place there so much that many major cast members have their own houses there. Get the full story over at Forbes.

Update #2: Sony Pictures has also weighed in, saying it will “continue to monitor that process” as it makes a determination about whether or not to film in Georgia in the future. You can read the studio’s statement here.

Update: In a statement to Deadline, WarnerMedia has also said it will consider pulling its productions from the state of Georgia. Read the company’s statement below. Our original article follows.

We operate and produce work in many states and within several countries at any given time and while that doesn’t mean we agree with every position taken by a state or a country and their leaders, we do respect due process. We will watch the situation closely and if the new law holds we will reconsider Georgia as the home to any new productions. As is always the case, we will work closely with our production partners and talent to determine how and where to shoot any given project.

Disney may halt production of its films and TV shows in Georgia if the state enacts its controversial abortion law, Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger said.

A ban on abortion that Georgia’s Republican governor signed into law earlier this month has been cause for much uproar in the film industry, which has flocked to the state for an enticing tax credit offered to film and TV productions. But the abortion ban, which is due to take effect on January 1 if it survives court challenges, has caused several of the 455 productions that shoot in Georgia to pull out of the state. If Disney, which films many of its Marvel Studios productions like Avengers: Endgame and Black Panther in Georgia, were to pull its productions, it would be a major blow to the state’s economy.

Read More »

Love Life

Director Paul Feig (Bridesmaids) has lined up a reunion with his A Simple Favor star Anna Kendrick. The two will team up again for Love Life, a new romantic comedy anthology series for WarnerMedia’s upcoming streaming service. This marks the latest case of rom-coms continuing their comeback in the age of streaming. Learn more about the new show below.
Read More »

Remember when Friends fans were panicking last year because it looks like the staple NBC sitcom would be removed from Netflix? The streaming service spent around $100 million to keep the exclusive licensing rights to stream the show through 2019. However, Netflix likely won’t be the exclusive streaming home to shows like Friends and The Office for much longer. That’s because the media companies behind them are starting their own streaming services, and Netflix might have to share the rights to some of their most popular shows. This could really shake up the streaming scene and end up being something either really bad for Netflix, or really unfortunate for new streaming services. Read More »

WarnerMedia - FilmStruck Replacement

Cinephiles were rather upset that WarnerMedia was shutting down the movie streaming subscription service FilmStruck, many of them prominent filmmakers like Steven Spielberg, Guillermo del Toro, Edgar Wright, Barry Jenkins, Kathleen Kennedy, Christopher Nolan and more. But the media giant reassured movie lovers that they would have a new iteration of FilmStruck coming sometime in 2019, though it might not go by that name.

Now the first details have emerged on the FilmStruck replacement, which WarnerMedia is creating as a way of reaching back out to cordcutters who have turned away from the traditional cable and satellite television services. But will it offer the kind of movies that FilmStruck subscribers loved? Read More »

filmstruck saved

Could it be? There, in the distance…is that…a sliver of good news? In 2018? It is!

After WarnerMedia announced the imminent demise of movie subscription streaming service FilmStruck, a petition from fans and a pair of letters signed by dozens of high-profile filmmakers gained the attention of the powers that be. Now a new report says that a “new iteration” of FilmStruck will be coming to WarnerMedia’s new streaming service. But how long will we have to wait for it? Read More »