Posted on Thursday, September 22nd, 2016 by Angie Han
Those who want a Hamilton movie are just gonna have to wait for it, but in the meantime PBS will try and tide us over with a TV special. As part of the long-running Great Performances series, the network is airing Hamilton’s America, a documentary special that delves into the creation of the Broadway smash hit, the real-life history behind it, and its relevance to current hot-topic issues.
Fans can look forward to interviews with Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom Jr. (Aaron Burr), Christopher Jackson (George Washington), and others involved with the production, plus new footage of performances by the original cast. But you can really tell what a phenomenon this show is by the kinds of talking heads this documentary has attracted: everyone from Nas to Stephen Sondheim to President Barack Obama. Watch the Hamilton documentary trailer below. Read More »
Filmmaker and actress Elaine May was just cast alongside Miley Cyrus for Woody Allen’s forthcoming series set up at Amazon. But May also had some recent work behind the camera get some attention as well with this year’s debut installment of the long-running PBS documentary series American Masters.
The Graduate director Mike Nichols takes the spotlight for this episode of the series that runs through his life and career. For those who may not know, Nichols and May were actually a Grammy-winning improvisational comedy duo in the 1950s and 1960s, so there’s no better person to provide an intimate profile of the iconic filmmaker. Read More »
Posted on Monday, October 26th, 2015 by Angie Han
Many mysteries still surround the Sherlock special, but as of today two big ones have been solved. The one-off episode, which sends the boys to Victorian London, has officially announced a title and a U.K. and U.S. air date. Yes, that’s date, singular, because for the first time ever, Sherlock is premiering on the same day in both countries. Get the Sherlock special date and title details after the jump.
UPDATE: As promised, the Sherlock special is coming to theaters. Get more details below. Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, November 12th, 2013 by Angie Han
Briefly: The Crawleys will survive to fight another day. Downton Abbey has been renewed for a fifth season, as announced by PBS, several weeks before Season 4 even premieres in the U.S. “As American audiences ready themselves for the January 5th premiere of Season 4, our devoted Downton fans will rest easy knowing that a fifth season is on the way,” said Masterpiece executive producer Rebecca Eaton.
In the U.K., the fourth season (sorry, that’s “series” for you Brits) concluded this past weekend. It was the highest-rated TV drama of the year, drawing nearly 12 million viewers on average. There aren’t many upsides to the fact that our friends across the pond get the episodes months before we do, but the fact that we don’t have to worry about whether the show will get renewed is one.
Downton Abbey‘s 2013 Christmas Special will air in the U.K. next month. Season 4 kicks off January 5 in the U.S.
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Thursday, October 31st, 2013 by Angie Han
As British Downton Abbey fans brace themselves for the Season 4 finale in two weeks, American Downton Abbey fans are just now preparing for the Season 4 premiere in January.
PBS has released a new U.S. teaser for the post-Edwardian drama, featuring all the tasteful string music, lush period costumes, scandalous kisses, and shocked glances that you’d expect from a Downton Abbey teaser. The only thing it’s missing are some cutting Dowager Countess quips. Check it out after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013 by Angie Han
Tragedy hit the Crawley family in a big way during the last season of Downton Abbey, but life at the manor goes on — as the Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith) helpfully reminds Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery) in the first trailer from Season 4. Based on the video, this life involves lots of hugging, kissing, and casting of meaningful glances, plus a whole lot of crying.
Additionally, there are some major changes coming to Downton, such as the addition of the show’s first black cast member (Gary Carr) and a trio of handsome suitors for Lady Mary (Tom Cullen, Julian Ovenden, and Brendan Patricks). Watch the new trailer after the jump; some Season 3 spoilers follow.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, July 17th, 2013 by Angie Han
It’s a weirdly good time for ’90s kids, as Uncle Jesse and Carmen Sandiego plot their returns. After the jump:
- Uncle Jesse’s band from Full House will reunite
- The elusive Carmen Sandiego may return to PBS
- American Dad is moving from Fox to TBS
- James Franco will drop by The Mindy Project
- Damon Wayans Jr. is returning to New Girl
- Ray Donovan and True Blood get renewed
- Here’s who’ll direct Game of Thrones next season
- Check out a new trailer for Boardwalk Empire
- Breaking Bad teasers and stills show lots of glares
Read More »
Posted on Friday, May 17th, 2013 by Angie Han
Zombieland dies a second death as Amazon decides to pass on the series. Also after the jump:
- SNL loses Bill Hader, retains Seth Meyers
- Downton Abbey gets parodied by Diddy and The Simpsons; sets a U.S. premiere date
- HIMYM‘s entire ninth season will take place over one weekend
- Is NBC’s Hannibal headed to cable television?
- USA is still flirting with Happy Endings
- HBO picks up Mike Judge‘s new show and a “gay Girls“
- Netflix encourages you to “insert Tobias anywhere”
- CBS has another new trailer for Under the Dome
- The CW shows off its new 2013-2014 series
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 by Angie Han
As August inches to an end, the days of having nothing to watch on TV (well — nothing but Breaking Bad) are about to come to an end. After the jump:
- Game of Thrones casts Daario Naharis and Grey Worm
- Malcolm McDowell will teach History 101 at Greendale
- Michael J. Fox‘s new sitcom lands at NBC for Fall 2013
- New Dexter promo image says he’ll try not to kill Debra
- Elderly matriarchs bicker in new Downton Abbey clips
- Watch another American Horror Story Season 2 teaser
- Jax and Clay chat in the Sons of Anarchy Season 5 trailer
- A picnic day takes a bad turn in the new teaser for Fringe
- Speaking of which, John Noble is back to work on Fringe
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 by Angie Han
Ron Swanson hasn’t always had the best luck with ladies, but maybe a visit from Xena herself — Lucy Lawless! — will turn things around. Also after the jump:
- Michael J. Fox returns to TV with show based on his own life
- Arrested Development gets new characters, including John Slattery
- Archer voicer H. Jon Benjamin will show his face on Suburgatory
- Torchwood‘s John Barrowman lands a recurring role on Arrow
- Happy Endings‘ cast gets disco-fabulous in a Season 3 photo
- See Shirley MacLaine in the new trailer for Downton Abbey
- Everyone’s got guns in the Season 3 trailer for Boardwalk Empire
Read More »