(Welcome to The Quarantine Stream, a new series where the /Film team shares what they’ve been watching while social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.)
The Show: New Girl
Where You Can Stream It: Netflix
The Pitch: Charming weirdo Jess (Zooey Deschanel) moves into a new apartment with three male roommates after a devastating break-up. It turns out that her new roomies (played by Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, and Lamorne Morris) are also charming weirdos. Quirky friendship ensues and it is all very, very funny.
Why It’s Essential Quarantine Viewing: On paper, there is literally nothing special about New Girl, which ran on Fox from 2011 through 2018. In fact, it sounds downright hacky and tired: a quirky girl has three male roommates?! What is this, 1972? But while that concept may be a tough pitch in an age where television comedy has grown increasingly experimental and daring, New Girl has something you cannot fake or manufacture: lead actors with undeniable, unmistakable chemistry that works no matter which combination of characters share the screen in a given scene.
Read More »
Jake Kasdan, once known exclusively as a comedy director, is now playing in the big leagues. With just the right amount of nostalgia and newness, Kasdan turned Jumanji into one of the biggest modern franchises around. While the large scale and effects were initially new to him, he’s now growing comfortable working at that level.
Kasdan made his directorial debut with a sharp ’90s noir with a killer Bill Pullman performance, Zero Effect. It features a Pullman performance deserving of more love in this world. Kasdan followed his directorial debut with Orange County, The TV Set, and Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. During our phone interview with Kasdan, we recently talked about how Walk Hard has changed the biopics forever, how he’s grown as a filmmaker making the Jumanji movies, and the unfortunate state of the world at the moment.
Read More »
Amidst all the renewals and cancellations that television networks have announced over the past week, one show surprisingly remained on the bubble.
New Girl has been one of FOX’s hit comedies ever since it debuted back in 2011. Though the series was initially thought to be a shoo-in to get renewed for a seventh season, the fate of the show recently took a turn for the worse and it came close to cancellation. Thankfully, at the last minute, a deal was struck for a shortened seventh and final season.
Find out details on the New Girl final season below, but beware of spoilers for the end of the sixth season. Read More »
Fans around the world are still reeling from the sudden passing of international music icon Prince. The 57 year old musician was found dead in his Minnesota studio on Thursday, and plenty of tributes and memories have been hitting the web in honor of the incredible musician. Now several networks and a couple movie theater are chains are helping people mourn and celebrate Prince.
Prince’s feature film Purple Rain will be returning to select theaters in the AMC Theatres and Carmike Cinemas chains while NBC, VH1, OWN, AXS TV will be airing special tributes as well. Get all the details on where you can see Purple Rain in theaters and catch other Prince tributes after the jump. Read More »
The new year brought the return of New Girl, arriving just in time for fans who were in dire need of quality time with Jess (Zooey Deschanel), Nick (Jake Johnson), Schmidt (Max Greenfield), Winston (Lamorne Morris) and Cece (Hannah Simone) after Fox opted to have the show premiere in the midseason rather than the fall of 2015. But as we reported before, the show is going to get shaken up for a bit with Megan Fox stepping up as the newest new girl while Deschanel is away from the show for a little bit after having a child.
Now our first look at the This Is 40 and Jennifer’s Body star on the comedy series has emerged online, and it appears that her character Reagan already has a preexisting relationship with Cece. As you’ll see in the quick preview below, that really throws Schmidt for a loop, especially when he hears that they hooked up with each other. Read More »
In the world of television, actors and actresses come and go, resulting in some of your favorite characters getting replaced by someone completely new.
Some of the more prominent examples include Michael J. Fox leaving Spin City and being replaced by Charlie Sheen, or for that matter, Charlie Sheen being replaced by Ashton Kutcher on Two and a Half Men. A more tragic example includes Phil Hartman on NewsRadio being replaced by Jon Lovitz after the former’s untimely death.
And now we can add one more to the list, though this one seems to be more temporary. Megan Fox will be replacing Zooey Deschanel during the the fifth season of Fox’s comedy series New Girl as the titular star of the series goes on maternity leave after having her first child last month. But for fans who may be upset, this Megan Fox New Girl stint is only temporary. Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, July 17th, 2013 by Angie Han
It’s a weirdly good time for ’90s kids, as Uncle Jesse and Carmen Sandiego plot their returns. After the jump:
- Uncle Jesse’s band from Full House will reunite
- The elusive Carmen Sandiego may return to PBS
- American Dad is moving from Fox to TBS
- James Franco will drop by The Mindy Project
- Damon Wayans Jr. is returning to New Girl
- Ray Donovan and True Blood get renewed
- Here’s who’ll direct Game of Thrones next season
- Check out a new trailer for Boardwalk Empire
- Breaking Bad teasers and stills show lots of glares
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 by Angie Han
AMC’s keeping their fingers crossed that The Walking Dead will never, ever end. Also after the jump:
- Ricky Gervais‘ Derek comes to Netflix this fall
- ABC reveals plans to finish 666 Park Ave and Apt. 23
- Will Damon Wayans Jr. return to New Girl?
- Guillermo del Toro’s The Strain adds a Twilight star
- Emma Roberts boards American Horror Story
- Homeland gets some fresh faces
- First pics from Bonnie & Clyde revealed
- See teasers for Newsroom, Boardwalk Empire, and Clear History
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Friday, March 8th, 2013 by Angie Han
It’s been a few days since our last TV Bits (sorry!), so we have a ton of stuff to catch up on. After the jump:
- Alexis Bledel, Kyle McLachlan, Hope Davis, and more get pilots
- Downton Abbey loses one character but gains six more
- Jeffrey Wright will be a series regular on Boardwalk Empire
- A bunch of Fox shows including The Following get early renewals
- The Zero Hour has gets cancelled by ABC after just three episodes
- Will Jimmy Fallon take over for Jay Leno on The Tonight Show?
- The X-Files finally gets a tenth season… as a comic book
- Steven Soderbergh‘s Behind the Candelabra gets EW cover
- Hannibal and Mad Men offer up not very revealing teasers
- See character posters and an extended trailer for Game of Thrones
- Peek behind the scenes of Breaking Bad‘s final season
Read More »
Posted on Friday, February 22nd, 2013 by Angie Han
Like the last couple of TV Bits, this one is also chock full of casting news. Also after the jump:
- Downton Abbey adds a new series regular
- Patton Oswalt will stop by Parks & Recreation
- The Newsroom‘s version of Team Romney expands
- Michael C. Hall might be done with TV after Dexter
- Chris Lilley‘s new show starts shooting in Melbourne
- FX renews The Americans for a second season
- Are Mindy Project and New Girl moving to Thursdays?
- Watch four deleted scenes from Game of Thrones
- … and find out when we’ll get the Season 3 trailer
Read More »