Do you hear that sound? That’s the lamentation of Conan fans across the world after reading this headline. After spending years in development, it sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger’s long-brewing sequel The Legend of Conan is finally dead at Universal. But Arnold, ever the optimist, seems to still be holding on to some tiny sliver of hope.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, August 17th, 2016 by Fred Topel
CBS did not present a Television Critics Association panel for their upcoming series Training Day, based on the 2001 movie, but the cast and creators attended their evening party. Screenwriter Will Beall adapted the movie for television under producers Antoine Fuqua and Jerry Bruckheimer. I actually ran into Beall just as he was about to leave the party, in line at a waffle truck parked for dessert.
Beall said this was the first formal interview he had given on Training Day, which now has veteran Det. Frank Rourke (Bill Paxton) take rookie Kyle Craig (Justin Cornwell) under his wing. The movie had Denzel Washington as a corrupt cop training a rookie played by Ethan Hawke. Beall is also working on the feature film scripts for Aquaman, The Legend of Conan, and Robin Hood, and we discussed them all during our conversation. Training Day could be on CBS this fall or midseason. Note: this interview contains spoilers for the movie Training Day. Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 by Fred Topel
I ran into Will Beall at the end of the CBS/CW/Showtime party for the Television Critics Association. Beall developed Training Day for television and is also writing the screenplay for Aquaman. Even though news recently broke that Black Manta is the film’s villain, Beall could not address it. However, we were able to speak about underwater action versus action out of the oceans.
“I can tell you that not all of the action takes place underwater,” Beall said. “Some of the most fun action in the movie actually takes place on dry land.” Read More »
Posted on Sunday, January 24th, 2016 by Jacob Hall
Welcome back to Sequel Bits, the irregular feature covering all of the sequel news you could possibly desire. In today’s edition:
- London Has Fallen unveils a new poster.
- XXX 3: The Return of Xander Cage casts Jet Li and Tony Jaa.
- No, Michael Bay will not talk about Transformers 5.
- The Legend of Conan and Triplets are still very much alive.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
With Terminator: Genisys hitting theaters next week, Arnold Schwarzenegger is making the publicity rounds promoting the sequel/reboot, and that means he’s getting questions about future projects that we already know are in the works.
One of those projects is Schwarzenegger’s return to his epic character Conan The Barbarian, in a new film called The Legend of Conan. We’ve been hearing about the project since as far back as 2012, but it’s taking awhile to get the project off the ground. But now that Schwarzenegger is done with Terminator (until the presumed sequel), it looks like The Legend of Conan may be next, and the action star gave some new details on the forthcoming film.
Learn more about The Legend of Conan plot details after the jump! Read More »
One of the big promises in Arnold Schwarzenegger‘s revived career as an actor has been the idea that he would reprise the role of Conan the Barbarian. It’s one of the gigs that cemented him as an action star, and the 1982 film co-written (with Oliver Stone) and directed by John Milius is hailed as among the best adaptations of pulp novels ever committed to film.
The new film, which is being dubbed The Legend of Conan, has Fast and Furious scribe Chris Morgan as a writer and producer, and Morgan now proclaims that the new film is intended to be an intense adventure film that carries forward the tone and even some of the other characters from the 1982 movie. Read More »
There’s a new Arnold Schwarzenegger film coming out next week, and next summer the action star will be back in one of his iconic roles for the new Terminator movie. If producers have their way, however, by that time Schwarzenegger will have already played Conan once more. Producers of The Legend of Conan, the long rumored sequel to the iconic ’80s sword and sandal epics, believe filming will begin in Spring 2015. Read the Legend of Conan movie quotes below. Read More »
A significant step has finally been taken in the development of Arnold Schwarzenegger‘s return to the days of high adventure. Universal Pictures has hired Andrea Berloff to write the screenplay for The Legend of Conan, the sword and sandal sequel which will continue the story from the Conan films of the 1980s. Berloff is best known for writing Oliver Stone’s World Trade Center, but she also penned the American remake of Sleepless Night as well as a few other male-centric, in-development projects including the NWA biopic, Straight Outta Compton. She’s a screenwriter on the verge of the big time. Read More »
There are lots of small updates on upcoming and hypothetical sequels, which means it’s time for another edition of Sequel Bits. Read about the following after the jump:
- Arnold Schwarzenegger says The Legend of Conan, Terminator 5 and Triplets are all still being written.
- Kevin Smith has a production schedule in mind for Clerks III.
- Eric Roberts joins the cast of Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence).
- As we wait on the new Bridget Jones movie, the character returns in book form.
- Another director may be on the short list for Bond 24.
- Daniel Radcliffe hypothesizes a Harry Potter sequel.
- Nicolas Winding Refn says don’t expect a sequel to Drive.
- Will Smith suggests he could appear in Independence Day 2, but it’s not looking good.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 by Angie Han
Whether your idea of fun is G-rated college kids or hard-R strippers, there’s something in today’s Sequel Bits for you. After the jump:
- Jessica Alba promises to do more dancing in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- … while Robert Rodrigez comments on Dennis Haysbert replacing Michael Clarke Duncan
- Arnold Schwarzenegger explains why his age won’t be an issue in The Legend of Conan
- Screenwriter Craig Mazin talks about weathering criticism for The Hangover Part II
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation will be digitally remastered for a one-week IMAX 3D release
- See some cute international posters and a new setting for Monsters University
- Vin Diesel and Karl Urban face off once again in the newest Riddick still
Read More »