Posted on Friday, October 25th, 2013 by Angie Han
It’s an extra-chatty edition of Sequel Bits, as everyone has a little something to say about everything. After the jump:
- A $500,000 camera has been stolen from Dumb and Dumber To
- The next Aliens game might be about Ripley’s daughter
- Peter Jackson chats about the score for The Hobbit
- Director thinks National Treasure could shoot in two years
- Dan Aykroyd is going on about Ghostbusters 3 again
- Keanu Reeves chats about Point Break and Speed
Read More »
Posted on Monday, July 22nd, 2013 by Angie Han
It’s been tough to surround hype and rumor with fact when it comes to Ghostbusters 3. Even the stuff straight out of the actors’ and producers’ mouths are suspect; if everything Dan Aykroyd said was true, we’d probably already be arguing about whether a Ghostbusters 4 could kick off a whole new trilogy.
At a TIFF Bell Lightbox screening of the original Ghostbusters last week, director Ivan Reitman addressed some of the rumors that have long plagued the project. Namely, the stuff about Bill Murray. And while, unlike Aykroyd, he doesn’t commit to any firm timeline on the movie, he does promise that “real progress is being made.” Hit the jump to see what he had to say.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 by Angie Han
Rick Moranis isn’t locked in for Ghostbusters 3 yet, but if you’re curious where he thinks his character Louis Tully would’ve ended up, he has some ideas. Also after the jump:
- Peter Jackson discusses the extended cut An Unexpected Journey
- … and you can check out new behind-the-scenes pic from Desolation of Smaug
- Jack Horner says the most recent Jurassic Park 4 plot “didn’t pass muster”
- Lorenzo di Bonaventura has been in touch with actors about Red 3
- Aussie electronic duo Empire of the Sun will score Dumb and Dumber To
- Benjamin Bratt talks about replacing Al Pacino in Despicable Me 2
- Doug Jones is still holding out hope for a third Hellboy
- Val Kilmer‘s Heat sequel idea involves being married to Natalie Portman
- See a poster for Warwick Davis‘ (fake) proposed Willow sequel
Read More »
In the Eighties and Nineties, few actors were as popular or marketable as Rick Moranis. The SCTV comedian had an incredible run of Hollywood comedies from Ghostbusters to Little Shop of Horrors, Spaceballs, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and Little Giants. He hasn’t appeared in a film since 1996, however, and the general belief is that he’s retired. Not the case. In fact, Moranis has been quite active, doing occasional voice work, performing as a musician, and raising two kids as a single father. His latest album, My Mother’s Brisket, was just released.
In a new interview about that album, Moranis revealed he was very close to making Spaceballs III at one point (yes, you read that right) and that he was contacted about a Ghostbusters sequel several years ago. Read his quotes below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Monday, May 20th, 2013 by Angie Han
We’ll say this much for Dan Aykroyd: The guy does not give up easily. Despite years and years and years of setbacks on Ghostbusters 3, the former Dr. Stantz is still as determined as ever.
Indeed, he’s currently hopeful that production on the film could get under way by next year — and he’s more than happy to share the details on what we’ll see if and when it ever gets made. Apparently, the new plot involves particle physics and four new Ghostbusters. Hit the jump to get the dirt.
Read More »
Is it just me or has Dan Aykroyd turned into the boy who cried Ghostbusters 3? The more he talks about it, the less likely we are to believe anything he says. The writer and actor, who recently called out Sony for their lack of ectoplasmic enthusiasm, is one again doing the press rounds. Once again, he told an outlet he expects the film to go into pre-production in the fall, and that filming should start in 2014. Read his quotes below. Read More »
Dan Aykroyd is as sick and tired as you are when it comes to Ghostbusters 3. For years he’s been not only answering questions about the proposed film, but actually developing it for free in hopes one day it would get made. That’s all he wants, to get a movie made, and he’s had to constantly change his concept with new writers coming aboard and his co-star, Bill Murray, refusing to play ball.
Then, several months ago, it seemed like the film was ready to go. Things quickly cooled off and that seemed to be the final straw. Aykroyd has had it. He’s now publicly given Sony an ultimatum about making the film.
In an interview with Esquire, the co-creator, co-star and de-facto mouthpiece for the successful franchise not only calls for Sony to make the film now, or forever hold their peace, he talks about the scripts Office writers Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg did, the one by Etan Cohen, Bill Murray’s non-interest and potential ideas for sequels. Why would he talk about sequels to a movie that hasn’t been made yet? Because he all but guarantees a nine-figure hit if Sony makes the movie. The guy is on a marshmallow man fueled rampage and I love it. Read his quotes below.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, October 18th, 2012 by Angie Han
Could Ghostbusters 3 really, finally, at long last, be getting into gear? The long-awaited horror prequel was put in “suspended animation” earlier this year, but since this project never stays dead for long, it soon picked up a new writer to pen a fresh script. Now it looks like director Ivan Reitman, star Dan Aykroyd, and the studio are preparing to shoot next summer. More after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 by Angie Han
The long-gestating Ghostbusters 3 got yet another new lease on life over this summer, when Sony hired Etan Cohen to give the script another rewrite. As of July, it looked like Cohen would be sticking with the same premise we’ve been hearing about for years now: “original castmembers Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson
and Bill Murray passing the torch to a new generation of ghostbusters.” We assumed that’d mean the old Ghostbusters would be on hand to teach the tricks of the trade to a new group of colleagues. But could the torch-passing be a reference to a remake instead?
In a recent interview, original director Ivan Reitman talked about getting Ghostbusters “remade.” In addition, the director expressed his worries about Triplets, the impending Twins sequel. Read his comments after the jump.
Read More »
Briefly: Here’s good news about Ghostbusters 3, at last: we can all stop thinking about it, because Dan Ayrkoyd has said that Bill Murray definitely won’t be a part of the sequel. The actor told Metro “No, I can tell you [Murray] won’t be involved,” when asked about the return of the original Peter Venkman. Otherwise, everything else is as it was with respect to the ghost-bustin’ sequel.
Ayroyd says “we’ve got a brilliant new writer on it and we’ll be passing the torch on to a new generation. We’re working on it to make it just right to satisfy our fans. I’m confident we’ll be in production in the next year… We’ve tried a few concepts which weren’t right but now we’ve got a good structure and will make it happen.”
Murray was the holdout for a long time in the film’s last couple years of development, when producers and Aykroyd were working with a now-scrapped script by Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg (The Office, Year One). Even without that script, however, Murray is the one who seems to be remaining sensible about the chances of the film turning out well. Good luck to the rest of the believers.