Posted on Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 by Angie Han
Tom Cruise may not be dangling from any skyscrapers or strapping himself to any moving airplanes this year, but we’ll still get to see him back in action later this fall. He’ll return as former military police officer and current professional badass Jack Reacher in Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, based on Lee Child‘s bestselling series of novels. Ed Zwick directs this time, taking over from Chris McQuarrie who helmed 2012’s Jack Reacher. The first Jack Reacher 2 images have just hit the web, and you can get a look below. Read More »
We’re back in Las Vegas at CinemaCon, the annual gathering of movie theater exhibitors. As you probably know by now, theater owners from around the nation gather to, among other things, watch presentations from all of the major movie studios previewing their film slates for the upcoming year and beyond. The opening night presentation was Paramount Pictures, which came to Vegas to promote Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Ben-Hur, the first teaser trailer for the Ring franchise film Rings, the first footage from Tom Cruise’s sequel Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Robert Zemeckis’ spy thriller Allied, xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, and a very early look at Baywatch starring The Rock and Zac Efron.
But the two biggest surprises involved Prisoners/Sicario/Blade Runner 2 filmmaker Denis Villeneuve adaptation of Story Of Your Life and the shocking lack of any Star Trek Beyond preview despite having Simon Pegg and JJ Abrams in town and on stage for an award celebration. The new Villeneuve film seems like a smart science fiction film, think Contact meets Close Encounters of a Third Kind. Hit the jump to watch a video blog reaction talking about all the clips shown at the presentation.
Read More »
As Jacob noted the other day, this is the time of year we get to rest comfortably in our bubbles of excitement. We rarely feel any disappointment this early in the year with what’s hitting theaters (unless you were one of the few really pumped about The Forest), so we’ve yet to reach the point of skepticism about our most anticipated films of the year.
After the jump, help me countdown my most anticipated movies of 2016.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 by Angie Han
We’ve got a couple of casting updates, a seemingly cancelled project, and much more. After the jump:
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back adds Robert Catrini.
- Social Network‘s Abhi Sinha joins Conjuring 2.
- Warner Bros. pulls Project XX from its schedule.
- Peyton Reed imagines a Bring It On sequel.
- Simon Pegg talks about writing Star Trek Beyond.
- Bruce Willis responds to that Die Hard 6 fan pitch.
- No, Daniel Radcliffe won’t be back for Cursed Child.
- The original Aliens comic is getting a fancy deluxe edition.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, October 20th, 2015 by Jacob Hall
In today’s edition of Sequel Bits, we take a look at:
- Jurassic World‘s really crazy Blu-ray and DVD promotion.
- How Iron Sky 2 is defying typical distribution.
- A Korean superstar joins Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.
- Paul Verhoeven teases a Showgirls 2.
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back rounds out its cast.
And more, after the jump.
Read More »
You probably don’t know Skydance Productions yet, but you probably should. The company is making a major play to become the next Legendary Pictures or Marvel Entertainment, and they already are making the next installments of a number of major franchises on both the big and small screens. Their portfoilo of brands include Terminator, Star Trek, Mission Impossible, World War Z, Jack Reacher, Top Gun, GI Joe and much more.
When I was in Berlin Germany this past week to cover the Terminator Genisys premiere, I had the amazing opportunity to sit down with Skydance Productions CEO David Ellison and Chief Creative Officer Dana Goldberg to talk about their company and what they are planning for the future. This extensive roundtable interview was conducted over the course of an hour alongside three of my colleagues. Over the course of the interview we talked about a number of topics, including:
- How Skydance Productions came about
- Why they decided to plan a trilogy of new Terminator films before the release of Terminator Genisys
- How will the planned new Terminator tv series connect with the new films, will it be cable or network show?
- Terminator Genisys: Did they ever consider brining back Edward Furlong as John Connor? How did they recreate young Arnold Schwarzenegger? CG vs. Practicle effects in the new film
- What kind of television series are they developing?
- What will the Three Days of the Condor tv series be about?
- Steve Jobs was Ellison’s personal mentor since childhood, find out how Jobs and Pixar influenced the creation of Skydance.
- Star Trek 3: Is the movie going to be titled Star Trek Beyond? When does shooting start and where are they filming? What is director Justin Lin and screenwriter Simon Pegg bringing to the sequel?
- Will they be producing a new Star Trek tv series? What is preventing a new show from happening?
- Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation: The film test screened even higher than Ghost Protocol. How do get insurance for Tom Cruise‘s crazy stunts? How did changing the release date impact getting that movie to the screen? Did Star Wars: Rogue One cause any title drama? Was any of the movie filmed in IMAX?
- Top Gun 2: David Ellison’s history flying aerobatics, What is the sequel about? Will Tom Cruise be in the new film? How will modern technology and 3D change the dogfights?
- Rebecca Ferguson will be a breakout star in MI5 and Skydance is already considering her for another one of their films
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back: What will the sequel be about?
- How did James Cameron see Terminator Genisys? Was he paid for his endorsement in any way?
- And some brief words on World War Z 2.
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, May 19th, 2015 by Angie Han
The Jack Reacher sequel is about to take a big step forward. Ed Zwick (The Last Samurai) is reportedly in talks to direct the follow-up to the Tom Cruise thriller. In addition, Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz will take a pass at the script. More on the Ed Zwick Jack Reacher sequel news after the jump. Read More »
There will almost certainly be a Jack Reacher sequel — the questions are “when,” and “by whom”? Notice that we don’t have to ask which of the many Lee Child novels the film will be based on, because Tom Cruise, Skydance Productions, and Paramount are now developing the most recent book, Never Go Back, as the sequel. (It’ll probably be titled Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, in the parlance of our times.)
Those who read all of Child’s novels will know that Never Go Back isn’t quite a standalone story; it is motivated by a phone call Jack Reacher had with the current commanding officer of his old military unit, and he’s spent a couple books trying to get to a base in Virginia to follow up on the call.
There’s something a lot more important in this book, however: a smart, super-precocious teen girl. She could easily end up taking a bigger role in the film than she does in the book, and in so doing make the movie attractive to audiences that didn’t even glance in Jack Reacher‘s direction. Read More »