It’s safe to say that I am unreasonably excited about the upcoming Twin Peaks blu-ray box set. Rumors of new Twin Peaks material have always seemed both unrealistic and unappealing — the show’s ship has sailed, and we’ve all got to accept that. But the reveal of deleted scenes shot between 1989 and 1992 is something else altogether. That’s a holy grail, a set of artifacts from when the story was really alive.
The blu-ray set has a bunch of deleted material — almost a feature-length set of scenes and outtakes from the feature film Fire Walk With Me, and also some scenes cut from the TV series. We’ve seen a glimpse of some of that stuff via the first trailer for the box set. Below, we have the first full deleted scene to share. It’s a short bit from the TV series, specifically from the pilot, showing a thing we’ve never seen before: the moment when Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) meets Donna Hayward (Lara Flynn Boyle) for the first time.
My main takeaway after watching that clip is holy crap the transfer! Check out that footage compared to the image below. What you see below is pulled from an HD stream on Netflix, but even the current best DVD source doesn’t look much different. The show used red filters which have led to some really dodgy transfers over the years, and what you see below is the best of them. The clip above suggests that this new set retain flashes of the signature red, without being dominated and over-saturated by it. I’m more curious than ever to see the full release.
Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery hits on July 29.
Here are the specs.
- A retrospective documentary on the making of “Fire Walk With Me,” including cast and crew interviews
- Newly-discovered deleted scenes and outtakes from the TV series
- Over 130 behind-the-scenes images from Lynch’s personal collection
- 10 “vignettes of iconic Twin Peaks themes” entitled “Atmospherics,” feature a montage of sounds and imagery “to further immerse fans in the mysterious world of Twin Peaks.”
- The previously-released four-part documentary “Secrets From Another Place: Creating Twin Peaks”
- Extended version of “A Slice of Lynch,” featuring the complete and uncut conversation between Lynch and cast members Kyle MacLachlan and Madchen Amick previously included on the Gold Box DVD collection.
- New featurette in which Lynch interviews the members of the Palmer family, Leland, Sarah, and Laura, in character “about their current existence in this life and the next,” followed by in addition to a brand-new featurette in which Lynch interviews all three members of the Palmer family (Leland, Sarah and daughter Laura) in character “about their current existence in this life and the next,” followed by a conversation with actors Ray Wise, Grace Zabriskie and Sheryl Lee.
Cool Posts From Around the Web: