Having been out of the daily movie news loop for a while, I somehow ended up forgetting that Crank director’s Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor were heading up the Ghost Rider sequel, Spirit of Vengeance. But after viewing their panel and footage of the film from Comic-Con today, I’m happy to report that the duo have successfuly brought their special brand of crazy energy to the film — so much so that I can’t wait to see the finished product.
Seemingly everything has been improved over the first Ghost Rider. Cage’s flaming skull now looks menacing, and not laughable; the action looks insane, with plenty of crazy Neveldine/Taylor camera angles; and the duo are also taking full advantage of nightmarish aspects of the character, something that they said led them to take on the project in the first place. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Here’s the other half of the day’s comic book-related news roundup. Marvel gets the spotlight here as we’ve got a handful of minor updates on the Ghost Rider sequel; Stan Lee mentions his upcoming film cameos; there’s a small list of possible locations for The Avengers; and Bryan Singer answers fan questions about X-Men: First Class. It’s all after the jump. Read More »
Nicolas Cage is doing press for his delayed film The Season of the Witch a month before it opens on January 7, presumably to avoid the holiday season crush. Inevitably, during a couple interviews he’s talked about the sequel to Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, which is currently in production with Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank, Crank 2, Gamer) directing. Read More »
Earlier this week Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance co-director Brian Taylor caused a bit of confusion when he said via Twitter that “The dual role of blaze/zarathos will be a nic cage classic.” Cue minor consternation and/or excitement. Suddenly Nicolas Cage is playing two roles? Where did this come from? That isn’t quite what is happening — Nicolas Cage won’t really be playing both the hero and the villain in the film, as some have surmised. But he is going to be more fully playing the demonic spirit of vengeance that gives the film its subtitle. Read More »
These are tough economic times we’re living, and movie studios are changing their ways in hopes of adapting. Or at least, Sony is.
As you likely already know, there’s a Ghost Rider sequel in the works—carrying the tentative title Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance—and Crank directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor are helming it. Now it’s been given the official greenlight, but there’s a snag: it’s projected budget of $135 million has been cut down to a significantly lower $75 million. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Briefly: Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank) will soon be shooting the sequel to Ghost Rider. The film stars Nicolas Cage, reprising the role of Johnny Blaze, while Ciaran Hinds, Idris Elba and Johnny Whitworth are all set to play parts.
The cast may now be getting a bit of competition for Cage’s brand of crazy. Today on the official Highlander Facebook page some Ghost Rider news came out after Christopher Lambert spoke to the page’s curator: “Lambert says thank you very much for all the kind comments! He says he is in talks now to do Ghost Rider 2 with Nicholas Cage.” No info on the role he might play right now, but this would be one of the higher-profile American pictures the actor has been in over the past few years. (Most of his work since Southland Tales has been in Europe; he was in the good Claire Denis film White Material last year, for example.)
Ghost Rider 2 will release on February 17, 2012. [via ComingSoon]
With only a small amount of time left before the rights to Ghost Rider revert back to Marvel, Sony is quickly moving forward with Ghost Rider 2. Nicolas Cage is back as Johnny Blaze, who transforms into a cycle-riding spirit of vengeance, and Ciaran Hinds recently signed on as the picture’s villain. Now a couple more names are likely to be added, as Idris Elba and Johnny Whitworth are negotiating roles. Read More »
Last month it was reported that Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, the mad men behind the two Crank films, were negotiating to make a Ghost Rider sequel, tentatively titled Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance. At the time we weren’t sure that Nicolas Cage would return, and it wasn’t a definite that Neveldine/Taylor were chips in. We now know the answer to both questions. Read More »
The last time we heard about Ghost Rider 2, now being called Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance, there was a possibility that it would be moving forward without Nicolas Cage, because Sony needs to make the sequel soon or lose the rights altogether. (It could be Ghost Rider Shrugged!) Now there’s a report that Cage will likely star in the film. And there is a director nearly set. Or make that directors: Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, the men behind the two Crank films, are negotiating to make the sequel. Read More »