Posted on Thursday, August 7th, 2014 by Russ Fischer
Guardians of the Galaxy is the biggest thing going right now, as James Gunn, his cast and crew, and the team at Marvel turned the film into a space adventure brimming with personality. Guardians has a huge audience appeal in part because it leaves some mysteries open to speculation, and therefore for exploration in a sequel. There are a few big, obvious character points that can be explored in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and quite a few small bits that have been hinted in the past couple weeks. Below, we’ve assembled everything we know about Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
Note that full spoilers for Guardians of the Galaxy should be expected below, along with some speculation on the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and potential comics spoilers.
Marvel first announced the release date of the sequel at Comic Con, staking out July 28, 2017 for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. (Probably not the film’s final title.) At a October 27th 2014 Marvel Event, they announced the film would come out a few months sooner on May 5th 2017.
Even knowing the interest in Guardians, this seemed like a bold move, green-lighting and dating the sequel before the first film had even opened. Now we know Marvel was smart to do so. In fact, Gunn starting thinking about the second film very early on, telling The Huffington Post,
I had given thought to ‘Guardians 2’ before I even set pen to paper on ‘Guardians 1.’ This for me is the hopefully the springboard for what could be not only ‘Guardians 2’ but a whole plethora of new Marvel characters who are in outer space and all sorts of interesting things can happen with those people and creatures. I would love to be involved with those characters down the line.
Capping off the film’s big opening weekend, Gunn said he was working on the sequel:
I’ve spent this weekend hard at work on the sequel. I couldn’t help myself! The results are nice but it’s really the creative process I love and that keeps me going. I’m on fire with this thing! The Guardians have so many hardships and heartaches and triumphs ahead of them, and I can’t wait to share them with all of you.
So what are those hardships and heartaches? Clearly there will be new explorations of many of the core characters in the first film. Based on statements made by Gunn and the like, however, big things we can expect to see explored are:
- One more Guardian from the comics
- More of Drax’s story
- Peter Quill’s father.
- Nebula, and her relationship to Thanos and the rest of the Universe.
- Yondu, and his relationship to the Quill family.
- More Infinity Gems.
We know that stuff from the film, but also from what writer/director James Gunn said just before Guardians opened:
I know a lot of where I want to go. I have a lot of ideas for stories and characters that are going to appear, and there are documents written up, that some people have, about Peter Quill’s father and his relationship, a lot of stuff about Yondu and a lot of stuff about Drax that nobody knows.
So let’s break down some of the big points, with some speculation thrown in where appropriate.
A New Guardian
One thing James Gunn said recently that flew a bit under the radar was that we can likely expect another Guardian from one of the comics series to show up in the film sequel. In a Twitter Q&A moderated by E! Online, Gunn said,
.@eonline @afeeqdannoDNA I love so many – can't give it away but there should be at least one more Guardian from the comics.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) August 1, 2014
Who could that be? There’s a huge list of possibilities. Going on pure speculation, I’d say the four most likely are:
- Captain Marvel, the Kree warrior who shares consciousness with an Earthling, and eventually becomes cosmically aware.
- Adam Warlock, a being originally engineered by human scientists who is given an Infinity Gem by another human scientist-turned-cosmic explorer. Teased in the Thor 2 credits tag, and a big player in the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. Perhaps the most likely inclusion.
- Nova, a super-powered member of the Nova Corps. (Concept art was created for the character when he was possibly going to show up in Guardians. While that appearance didn’t happen, he could still show up in the sequel.)
- Moondragon, a powerful telepath and martial artist, raised and trained by Thanos’ father. She’s also (spoiler!) the daughter Drax believes to be dead. (Seen mentally battling Thanos in the image above.)