Posted on Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 by Peter Sciretta
A couple weeks ago a short list was leaked, containing the actors that Joe Johnston was considering for Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, in The First Avenger: Captain America. The list included John Krasinski (The Office), Scott Porter (Speed Racer, Friday Night Lights, Caprica), Mike Vogel (She’s Out of My League, Cloverfield) Michael Cassidy (Smallville) and Patrick Flueger (Brothers, The 4400), Chace Crawford (Gossip Girl) and Garret Hedlund (Tron Legacy), most of which had agreed to do a screen test for Marvel.
Last week Smallville/The O.C./Privileged star Michael Cassidy confirmed that he is out of the running for the role. Today has been full of outrageous Captain America casting rumors and speculation which includes the Jonas Brothers and Dane Cook. More information after the jump.
First up, comedian/actor/annoying Dane Cook confirmed on his official twitter account that he has auditioned for the role of Captain America. For those who can’t read the screen capture image above, here is the text:
- Im minus 7% body fat now, bones replaced w/lightweight scandium alloy! Had 2 get shredded 4 Captain America audition & standup tour.
- @Marvel_Freshman r u really auditioning 4 Captain America? Dc: I did already. They might b goin young. I say go RDJr route-gimme the part!
Okay, so Cook claims he auditioned for the role, I find it unlikely that Marvel would go in that direction.
But even less unlikely… A hollywood gossip site (read: likely unreliable) called Hollywire is reporting that two of the Jonas Brothers (recent “winners” of the Razzie Award for Worst Actors of 2009), Joe Jonas and Kevin Jonas, “have already read lines for the upcoming film and are in contention for both Captain America and other characters in the film.”
The report goes on to claim that Kevin Jonas had the better audition and speculated that the audition might be a result of Disney’s acquisition of Marvel. The latter claim is just ridiculous, and this whole report seems highly unlikely. Johnson has said that Steve Rogers is traveling with the USO because the government doesn’t want their expensive engineered super soldier to get killed. Could it be possible that the Jonas brothers are part of this USO sequence?
Director Joe Johnson previously stated that casting needed to be complete by March 1st 2010 (a date that has now passed) as filming is set to begin at the end of June in the UK.
And I know this is not really news, but not completely unrelated — Check out this Captain America Cake (found on Great White Snark):
- When the shortlist was released on February 24th, it was revealed that Marvel wanted each actor on a 30-day hold during the testing (so that the Ryan Reynolds scenario where he took a role as Green Lantern just as Fox was preparing to commit on an approach to Deadpool won’t be repeated. Fox later moved forward with Reynolds and Deadpool regardless).
- DHD claims the offer for this role will be low — around $300k for this first film. Bundled into the contract will be the requirement to sign for a nine-film option that will include additional Captain America and Avengers films, and other possible sequels and spin-offs.
- The film will be shot in 2D High Definition, with a visual style Johnston describes as “a bit different,” trying to interpret the visual style of the more recent comics “into a film in a way that I think hasn’t been tried before” [Collider]
- The villain has been confirmed to be RED SKULL. [AICN]
- A possible synopsis leaked for the film:
Born during the Great Depression, Steve Rogers grew up a frail youth in a poor family. Horrified by the newsreel footage of the Nazis in Europe, Rogers was inspired to enlist in the army. However, because of his frailty and sickness, he was rejected. Overhearing the boy’s earnest plea, General Chester Phillips offered Rogers the opportunity to take part in a special experiment… Operation: Rebirth. After weeks of tests, Rogers was at last administered the Super-Solider Serum and bombarded by “vita-rays.” Steve Rogers emerged from the treatment with a body as perfect as a body can be and still be human. Rogers was then put through an intensive physical and tactical training program. Three months later, he was given his first assignment as Captain America. Armed with his indestructible shield and battle savvy, Captain America has continued his war against evil both as a sentinel of liberty and as leader of the Avengers.