Posted on Wednesday, June 30th, 2010 by Russ Fischer
It’s been a tumultuous week for Scream 4, which recently began shooting. A few images and behind the scenes videos hit the internet — not earthshaking stuff, but probably not a good thing for a film that has tried very hard to remain mysterious. And Lake Bell and Lauren Graham both dropped out. (Though Graham’s departure isn’t confirmed.)
Now there are three new names in the cast: Adam Brody, Marley Shelton and Erik Knudsen. One is a replacement for Lake Bell, and the other two are playing newly revealed roles.
THR has the casting info, and says that Marley Shelton (Planet Terror) is taking the role Lake Bell had been negotiating.
Meanwhile, Erik Knudsen (Jericho, Youth in Revolt, Scott Pilgrim vs the World) will play this film’s version of Jamie Kennedy’s character from the first couple films: he’s the kid who knows horror movies and cliches inside and out, and will be comic relief. I don’t know Knudsen’s abilities well enough to judge how this will play.
Adam Brody, meanwhile, will be “a cop recently graduated from college who was raised on the “CSI” TV series.” So it’s safe to guess we’ll be getting some more specific police procedural riffing in the movie, too. I liked Brody a lot in Jennifer’s Body and think he could be a great addition to Scream.
Previously for Scream 4:
The first part of a new trilogy written by screenwriter Kevin Williamson and directed by Wes Craven. Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox and David Arquette have all previously committed to reprise their respective roles in the fourth film.
The movie will be set ten years later in Woodsboro, and is described as “an ensemble” which will introduce several new characters. The new film will take place a decade later, a decade without the ghostface killer. But that doesn’t mean that movie-within-the-movie-series Stab has come to an end. Williamson has said that Scream 4 will reference manga comics, Asian ghost girl movies, PG-13 horror movies, vampire films, M. Night Shyamalan movies and even torture porn. Scream 4 will begin shooting in Michigan in June 2010, aiming for a April 15th 2011 release.
Here is information on the new characters in the new movie Beware of possible minor spoilers. You could assume things about the characters that list “NAME CAMEOS PREFERRED” judging from the previous films in the series.
- Emma Roberts will play Jill Kessler, “one of the film’s primary heroines,” a cousin to Neve Campbell’s character in the series. Described as “pretty in an ingenue way. Smart, strong. A little goofy, but she makes it sexy. Full of contradictions, but instantly likeable. Not a mean bone in her body. They’re not close, but Jill is Sidney’s cousin.”
- Hayden Panettiere will play Jill’s best friend, Kirby Reed — a nerdy film geek. Described as “Cute and quirky, was a tomboy until a year ago, now she’s alternative, cool and sexy. Jill’s best friend. She’s a pop culture and horror aficionado;”
- Rory Culkin will play Charlie Walker, a potential love interest for Jill. Here is the character description: “Messy cute. Friends with Jill, Trevor, Kirby, and Olivia. A little cocky, he likens himself to ‘Randy’ from Scream 1 without the nerd part. No such luck, he’s definitely a nerd. May or may not have a crush on Jill. He’d never admit it if he does;”
- Nico Tortorella will play Trevor Sheldon, described as: “Handsome high school jock, but quiet and intense, as though a secret hangs over his head.”
- Anthony Anderson has played a cop on Law and Order and The Shield, so I’m guessing he plays one of the two detective roles:
- DETECTIVE HOSS (MALE 30s-40s; any ethnicity) New school cop. College graduate raised on the CSI TV series. NAME CAMEOS PREFERRED;
- DETECTIVE PERKINS (MALE 30s-40s; any ethnicity) Old school cop. Cocky, bigoted, and snarky. NAME CAMEOS PREFERRED;
- 20-year-old California model turned actress Marielle Jaffe likely plays one of the new teens:
- OLIVIA MORRIS (17-18; any ethnicity) Sexy and hot. A fun girl who knows how to be bitchy without being a bitch. She finds a way to make every situation about her, but somehow does it in a charming way. Part of the Jill, Kirby, Charlie, Trevor friend group;
- BETTE (20s; any ethnicity) Sidney’s personal assistant. Type A who gets the job done. Secretly yearns for Sidney’s fame and fortune;
- REBECCA (17-18; any ethnicity) Cute, vain, over-achieving student at Woodsboro High School. Editor in Chief of the high school newspaper. She’s a future Gale Weathers.