Posted on Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 by Germain Lussier
The biggest Star Trek news of the past week was, of course, the fact that the official title to J.J. Abrams‘ sequel is Star Trek Into Darkness, a move that was met with an equal amount of confusion and excitement. And while no one has officially come out to comment on the title yet [UPDATE - One star now has.] earlier this week two of the stars did their best to build up fan’s hopes even more.
Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock in the May 17 release, says he left the set feeling “fulfilled,” calling the film “bigger and bolder.” Karl Urban, who plays Bones, says it’s more “character driven” and “action packed” than the previous film from Abrams. Watch them both talk about the film after the jump.
I’d be hard pressed not to believe either actor, but I think Quinto’s statement is the most telling and accurate in terms of the current Star Trek buzz. The movie has finished shooting. Everything is now in the hands of J.J. Abrams, his editors, effects teams, composer and more. We can keep asking these actors about the movie but until audiences see some kind of trailer, the actors likely feel as in the dark as we do.
Hopefully in the coming days, with Urban promoting Dredd 3D and Quinto promoting American Horror Story: Asylum, we’ll hear some reactions to the new title and maybe get some kind of idea what it refers to.
UPDATE: Simon Pegg tweeted about the title.
How do you get past the curse of the ":"? You get rid of it altogether. Trek ain't a noun, it's a verb. STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS MAY 2013
— Pegg News (@simonpegg) September 11, 2012