Walt Disney Pictures released a teaser trailer for The Muppets attached to Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. The trailer wasn’t released online until after opening weekend, because I’m told Disney execs believe the trailer plays better in large audiences on the big screen. And yes, watching it online, you miss the gasps and response that comes from the big reveal that it is a new Muppet movie. The trailer was even uploaded to YouTube under the faux title “Green With Envy” to help preserve the surprise. We could have posted it under that title, but none of you would’ve watched it.
Its hard to judge the movie based on this teaser trailer alone, as the opening is edited together to feel like a generic romantic comedy. We see some wacky antics, fourth-wall breaking jokes, dancing and are left with the promise of a fun reunion from the puppet friends of our childhood. Watch the trailer for yourself embedded after the jump. Please leave your thoughts in the comments below.
Fake movie poster:
WALT DISNEY PICTURES
Genre: Family Comedy
U.S. Release Date: November 23, 2011
Cast: Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Animal, Jason Segel, Amy Adams, Chris Cooper and Walter
Director: James Bobin
Producers: David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman
Executive Producers: Jason Segel, Nicholas Stoller, Martin G. Baker
Writers: Jason Segel, Nicholas Stoller
On vacation in Los Angeles, Walter, the world’s biggest Muppet fan, and his friends Gary (Jason Segel) and Mary (Amy Adams) from Smalltown, USA, discover the nefarious plan of oilman Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) to raze the Muppet Theater and drill for the oil recently discovered beneath the Muppets’ former stomping grounds. To stage The Greatest Muppet Telethon Ever and raise the $10 million needed to save the theater, Walter, Mary and Gary help Kermit reunite the Muppets, who have all gone their separate ways: Fozzie now performs with a Reno casino tribute band called the Moopets, Miss Piggy is a plus-size fashion editor at Vogue Paris, Animal is in a Santa Barbara clinic for anger management, and Gonzo is a high-powered plumbing magnate. With secret, signature, celebrity cameos, “The Muppets” hits the big screen Nov. 23, 2011.
· Funnyman Jason Segel (TV’s “How I Met Your Mother,” “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”) stars in, co-writes and executive produces “The Muppets.”
· “The Muppets” is directed by James Bobin, who was a director/writer/EP for HBO’s “Flight of the Conchords.”
· Kermit received a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2002. His song “The Rainbow Connection” was nominated for an Academy Award®.
· Bret McKenzie, who starred in, wrote for and served as composer for HBO’s “Flight of the Conchords,” is the music supervisor for “The Muppets,” as well as the writer/producer on some of the songs, which include big Muppet-style opening and closing numbers.
· It’s been 11 years since the Muppets’ last big-screen feature film.
When Walter, the world’s biggest Muppet fan, and friends Gary (Jason Segel) and Mary (Amy Adams) discover the nefarious plan of oilman Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) to raze the Muppet Theater, they help Kermit reunite the Muppets to stage The Greatest Muppet Telethon Ever and raise the $10 million needed to save the theater.Cool Posts From Around the Web: