Production is underway on the new Muppet movie, The Muppets, and information regarding the many cameos in the film have been flooding onto the internet. We have a couple new names to add to the ever-growing list. In the fairness of the spoiler-conscious, we’ve put the names after the jump (although I’m sure many of these cameos will be teased in the eventual marketing and trailers). Continue on to find out which of your favorite comedy stars will be appearing in the new film.
The Hollywood Reporter have added the following names to the list: Alan Arkin, Billy Crystal, and Jean-Claude Van Damme, scheduling permitting. Arkin is plays a tour guide (likely at Muppet Studios — see our previous set photos). No idea which characters Crystal or JCVD are playing, or if they are playing themselves.
Other previously rumored cameos include:
- Sean Penn
- Eric Stonestreet, John Krasinski and Ed Helms as Lady Gaga‘s entourage
- Jack Black will play himself as a kidnap victim (and is featured in a bunch of scenes)
- Zach Galifianakis plays a Hobo named Joe.
- French Stewart is set to play a watch salesman named Gabe Lou.
- Barbara Eden
- Donald Glover
- Danny Trejo is rumored to play a prisoner.
- Kristen Schaal plays the moderator of an anger management group
- Jane Lynch claims she is not in the movie.
The main cast includes Jason Segel in the lead role Gary, a human named Gary, whose best friend is a Walter, a new iPhone-wielding Muppet named Walter rumored to be voiced by Paul Rudd. The die-hard Muppet fans go on a journey with Gary’s girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams) to defeat the evil Tex Richman (Chris Cooper), a man who doesn’t find the Muppets funny and thinks he can smell oil beneath their studio. Rashida Jones also has a big role.
Here is what we know about the movie thus far:
- James Bobin is directing from a script by Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller.
- The film will be in the tone of the classic Muppet films like The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and Muppets Take Manhattan.
- Jason Segel will play the lead role, a human named Gary, whose best friend is a Walter, a new iPhone-wielding Muppet named Walter rumored to be voiced by Paul Rudd. The character has been described as “a sweet, slightly naive twenty-something Everypuppet who, in the movie, is the best friend and roommate of Segel’s character, Gary. Both Gary and Walter are die-hard Muppet fans.” Walter has never met other puppets and idealizes Kermit and the Muppets because they’re the only beings he’s seen that are like him. Together they go on a journey with Gary’s girlfriend Mary to defeat the evil Tex Richman, a man who doesn’t find the Muppets funny and thinks he can smell oil beneath their studio.
- Chris Cooper is playing the villain.
- The cast also includes Amy Adams and Rashida Jones in the other key human roles.
- There are plenty of celebrity cameos written into the script (including Sean Penn) and Segel apparently got verbal commitments from most of the stars during the writing process. Other cameos rumored to include Eric Stonestreet, John Krasinski, Ed Helms, Lady Gaga, Jack Black, Donald Glover, Jane Lynch, Danny Trejo, Zach Galifianakis as Hobo Jo & Paul Rudd as Walter the Muppet.
- We know that Jane Lynch will be a prison guard and Danny Trejo will play a prisoner.
- Check out our exclusive set photos here.
- The Muppets will hit theaters on Christmas 2011