‘The Force Awakens’ Audio Commentary: JJ Abrams Explains Kylo Ren’s Intentions in Han Solo Confrontation
Posted on Tuesday, October 18th, 2016 by Jack Giroux
If you’re a fan of J.J. Abrams, then maybe you’ve checked out some of the filmmaker’s audio commentaries. Abrams’ commentaries are about as breezy and as enjoyable as his films, but for whatever reason, he didn’t record one for the previous Star Wars: The Force Awakens home video release. The upcoming Collector’s Edition will, on the other hand, feature a commentary from the director.
Below, hear a SPOILER-heavy excerpt from The Force Awakens audio commentary.
To promote the Collector’s Edition, Disney didn’t release any old clip from the film; they released the clip. That’s right, the death of Han, a scene that makes you hold your breath out of tension, no matter how many times you’ve seen it. Han calling his son’s name (“Ben!”) alone sends a shiver down your spine. There’s also the evocative lighting reflecting Kylo Ren’s (Adam Driver) internal conflict, and who could forget the final look Han gives him? It’s a great death scene that also helps give emotional weight to Rey’s (Daisy Ridley) lightsaber battle with Ren. For many reasons, it’s one of Abrams’ finest sequences as a filmmaker.
Abrams’ commentary is one of the many new bonus features on the Collector’s Edition coming out next month. Here’s a list of what else is included on the 3D Blu-ray release:
- Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
- Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” alive through the matching of sound to action.
- Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
- Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn’t make the film’s final cut.
- Dressing the Galaxy – Costume Designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
- The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
- Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from the April release of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” include the complete story behind the making of the film, an unforgettable cast table read, insights from legendary composer John Williams and deleted scenes, as well as features that dig deeper into the creation of new characters such as BB-8, the design of the climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, the film’s remarkable digital artistry and the Star Wars: Force for Change global aid initiative.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Collector’s Edition hits stores on November 15th.Cool Posts From Around the Web: