Posted on Thursday, April 5th, 2012 by Angie Han
There’s a ton of TV news coming down the pipeline, so let’s get right to it. After the jump:
- The Newsroom and True Blood get premiere dates
- Fox will celebrate its 25th birthday with its biggest stars
- Elisha Cuthbert says she’s “on standby” for the 24 movie
- Is Saturday Night Live losing three of its cast members?
- The CW’s Supernatural finds a new co-showrunner
- A This American Life segment turns into an HBO drama
- Funny or Die’s Drunk History heads to Comedy Central
- Is this really the script of Breaking Bad‘s season premiere?
- Jimmy Smits turns to the dark side on FX’s Sons of Anarchy
Read More »
Aaron Sorkin returns to television with The Newsroom, and this first trailer makes the show out to be so very Aaron Sorkin. For fans of The West Wing and Sports Night, that’s probably all you need to hear.
For those who aren’t predisposed to love Sorkin’s work, here’s the attraction in The Newsroom: Jeff Daniels, playing a big-time, buttoned-up news anchor who finally lets his real personality fly, and then has to deal with the career fallout that results. There are a few potential red flags in this trailer: Sorkin’s near-trademark treatment of women; the possibility that the main figure is a political mouthpiece in search of a character; and a reliance once more on Sorkin’s classic “one man fighting the good fight” approach.
But good lord, Jeff Daniels just looks great. He’s an actor that is often dismissed, I think, and the brief couple minutes of this trailer may be enough to change that for many people. Read More »
Posted on Monday, December 19th, 2011 by Angie Han
It’s a sad day for Whovians as news breaks that Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill will be leaving Doctor Who in the next series, with a “heartbreaking end” planned for the couple. Thankfully, we’ve got some other bits that should help cheer everyone up, including a longer preview for 30 Rock and a peek at HBO’s new comedy Veep. After the jump:
- Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill — a.k.a. Amy and Rory — will depart Doctor Who
- Showtime develops a drama based on David Michôd’s Animal Kingdom
- NBC offers up a hilarious 5-minute preview of the Season 6 of 30 Rock
- HBO plans Leonardo DiCaprio-produced criminal/medical thriller Beat the Reaper
- Jane Fonda signs on for a recurring role on Aaron Sorkin’s HBO series Newsroom
- HBO unveils a trailer for the Julia Louis-Dreyfus Vice President comedy Veep
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 by Angie Han
Whether you’re a new parent or a singleton, whether you’re into video games, drugs, cable news, there’s a little something for everyone in this rather random edition of TV Bits. After the jump:
- Breaking Bad showrunner Vince Gilligan admits has no idea how his AMC series will end
- SyFy taps Legion helmer Scott Stewart to direct video game-related series Defiance
- Aaron Sorkin’s HBO drama, formerly known as More As This Story Develops, may have a new title
- ABC’s Up All Night and Fox’s New Girl land guest stars from 30 Rock and True Blood, respectively
Read More »