Even if you take away his two Muppet movies, writer/director James Bobin is a guy you want to talk to. He helped shape Sacha Baron Cohen’s legendary Da Ali G Show and the HBO show Flight of the Conchords, and is helming the next Disney Alice in Wonderland film, Alice Through the Looking Glass. He also helped bring The Muppets back to the big screen in the 2012 hit and co-wrote and directed this week’s hilarious sequel, Muppets Most Wanted. This James Bobin fellow has it going pretty well.
We were lucky enough to speak to Bobin and discussed a myriad of topics. In addition to an Alice tease, we discussed the self-referential nature of Muppets Most Wanted, having to change elements of the story when songs have already been finished, the canon of the Muppets, the rules for shooting and working with the Muppets, action sequences, dance and much more. If you’re a fan of the Muppets, or filmmaking in general, I think there’s a lot to learn here. Read our full interview below. Read More »
Disney just changed a bunch of release dates and titles, offering a glimpse at what the company that owns Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm has in store in the coming years. No Star Wars Episode VII news yet, but here are the highlights:
- The Muppets …Again has changed its title to Muppets Most Wanted. It still opens March 21, 2014.
- Two untitled Marvel movies will be released May 6, 2016 and May 5, 2017.
- Brad Bird’s Tomorrowland arrives a week earlier on December 12, 2014.
- Rob Marshall’s musical Into The Woods is now scheduled for December 25, 2014.
- A sequel to Planes, called Planes: Fire and Rescue, will be released on July 18, 2014.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day starring Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner opens October 10, 2014.
- Lasse Hallestrom’s The Hundred-Foot Journey comes out August 8, 2014.
There’s more below. Read More »
The Muppets brought Jim Henson’s family-friendly crew of clever puppet characters to new audiences in 2011, and Disney is now in production on a sequel, The Muppets… Again! We know that the film features a road trip that takes the Muppets to London, and that actors Tina Fey, Ty Burrell, and Ricky Gervais play major roles.
We also know that Jason Segel and Amy Adams, the human stars of the 2011 film, won’t appear in this movie.
So what’s the story with the photo above, which is a crop of a picture taken last night during the shoot for the sequel? The picture evidently shows stand-ins for Adams and Segel, and other photos from last night’s shoot strongly suggest that Disney has recreated the end of The Muppets. While we don’t have any info about whether Adams or Segel might actually return for a cameo here, we do understand that the sequel starts just moments after the end of The Muppets. Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, May 1st, 2013 by Angie Han
Watch out, Texas: Michael Bay‘s Autobots and Decepticons are coming to destroy your towns. Also after the jump:
- Woman in Black: Angels of Death adds two young Brit stars
- Sorry romcom fans, Bridget Jones 3 isn’t coming anytime soon
- Transformers 4 continues casting; Bay talks character redesigns
- Ray Liotta chats about the Sin City and The Muppets sequels
- Paul Verhoeven had fun watching the Total Recall remake fail
- Cozy up to the cutest cast member from The Hangover Part III
- Disney parks reveal big summer plans for Monsters University
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Monday, March 25th, 2013 by Angie Han
Who wants to see the first trailer from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug? Well, too bad, because it’s not coming for another few months. Also after the jump:
- Anchorman: The Legend Continues goes ice skating
- The sequel to Gareth Edwards‘ Monsters starts filming
- The Muppets… Again! adds two fine English actors
- See a new image from Edgar Wright‘s The World’s End
- And familiar-looking one for The Hangover Part III
- Scary Movie 5 has a relatively inoffensive TV spot
Read More »
Some casting, some directing, some controversy and a couple Star Trek details are in this edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump, read about the following.
- Olivia Wilde talks of possibly returning for a Tron: Legacy sequel.
- Greg Kinnear and Josh Lawson join Anchorman: The Legend Continues.
- Paul W.S. Anderson is definitely directing Resident Evil 6.
- Warner Bros. is suing the J.R.R. Tolkien estate over a breach in contract with The Hobbit.
- Bad Robot’s Action Movie FX App will get a Star Trek Into Darkness upgrade.
- New Zealand is the latest country to get Star Trek Into Darkness a week early.
- Peter Serafinowicz joins The Muppets…Again and Tina Fey discusses her character.
Read More »
Posted on Friday, March 8th, 2013 by Angie Han
LeVar Burton has some issues with J.J. Abrams‘ attitude toward the Star Trek franchise, and no, it doesn’t have anything to do with that Star Wars gig. Also after the jump:
- Producer Joe Roth talks a bit about Alice in Wonderland 2
- Transformers 4 will be darker and grittier, says Mark Wahlberg
- Benedict Cumberbatch‘s John Harrison is a “warrior” like Nero
- Steve Carell thinks it’s better that Anchorman 2 took so long
- Sofia Vergara literally has a killer bod in the Machete Kills poster
- Kermit gets a doppelganger or two in The Muppets… Again
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation unveils new character-centric featurettes
Read More »
I’m surely not the only person who is over the moon knowing a new Muppets movie is currently in production. The Muppets…Again! reunites director James Bobin with all your favorite Muppets, along with new stars Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey, Ty Burrell and Ray Liotta. It’s scheduled for release March 21, 2014.
The latest update is two-fold. First up, a video has surfaced showing Gervais on set, conversing with everyone’s favorite prawn Pepe. Next, Bobin has hired Louise Gold, the first female puppeteer on the original Muppet Show, to revive her character Annie Sue, a bitter rival of Miss Piggy. Check out the video and read more below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Monday, February 11th, 2013 by Angie Han
The Muppets… Again! will feature Kermit and company gallivanting across Europe after a case of mistaken identity, but apparently the gang will find some time to squeeze in a bit of romance. We’ve just learned that the film will feature Miss Piggy’s wedding — and that in typical fashion, it’ll be a grand affair at one of Europe’s iconic landmarks. Hit the jump to keep reading.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 by Angie Han
Ah, yes, the Fast and the Furious franchise: Where a man can fly from one fancy speeding car to another in the middle of the highway while a tank wreaks havoc in the background. See that photo and more after the jump. Also:
- Jocelin Donahue is young Barbara Hershey in Insidious 2
- Helen Mirren teases some of her big action scenes for Red 2
- Yes, Rafe Spall will appear in Edgar Wright‘s The World’s End
- Benedict Cumberbatch‘s Trek character is a very modern terrorist
- Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Transformers 4
- A Good Day to Die Hard unveils a Valentine’s Day-themed spot
- The gang’s all here in a fresh batch of stills from Fast & Furious 6
- See some colorful high-res images from The Muppets… Again
Read More »