Now he’s just messing with fans. People are waiting to hear something — anything — substantial about Star Wars Episode VII, but the December 2015 release date may be all we get for a while. That doesn’t mean that J.J. Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, Kathleen Kennedy and many others aren’t hard at work on the film. They’re just not telling anyone about it.
But they are willing to show us that they’re working on it. The Bad Robot Twitter account posted a photo of Abrams and others in a workshop — we don’t know if it’s a Lucasfilm office, or Bad Robot’s own (update: it’s Bad Robot) — posing with one of the most iconic Star Wars characters. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Monday, November 11th, 2013 by Angie Han
Star Wars Episode VII may have a release date now, but it still needs some stars and maybe some additional shooting locations. After the jump:
- Silicon Valley wants George Lucas to have his museum
- Don’t look for the 20th Century Fox fanfare in Episode VII
- California is annoyed that Episode VII is shooting in London
- … while the New Mexico rumors spring up once again
- Neil Gaiman asks J.J. Abrams about casting British actors
- … as aspiring Jedi around the globe line up for auditions
Read More »
Briefly: Three numbers made Thursday a big day in the world of Star Wars: 12/18/15. That’s the day J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars Episode VII will finally hit theaters in what’s sure to be one of the most hyped openings of all-time. In a new interview, Disney CEO Bob Iger spoke about choosing that date and also confirmed there are lots of Star Wars-centric plans not only for Disneyland and Walt Disney World, but international theme parks too. Watch a video of him discussing it all, below. Read More »
It’s official. Star Wars Episode VII will be released December 18, 2015, in 3D. Read the full press release below. Read More »
The Star Wars world was shook last last month when it was announced screenwriter Michael Arndt was leaving Star Wars Episode VII. He was replaced by the film’s director J.J. Abrams and producer Lawrence Kasdan, who himself wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark. To many, the move was the first acknowledgement there were major behind the scenes issues with the highly anticipated sequel. Yet, despite rumors of disagreements between Arndt and Abrams, no one officially commented.
Abrams is now out doing press for his show Almost Human and blamed the aggressive timeframe for the film as the reason for the change. Read his quotes below. Read More »
If true, the latest Star Wars Episode VII rumor blows the lid off everything we expected the sequels to be. Though co-writer and producer Lawrence Kasdan has long said the new films won’t follow any stories from the Extended Universe, almost everyone assumed the main characters — all believed to be young adults — would somehow be related to the Skywalker and Solo families. They’d have to be, considering Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, who finished the series dating Han Solo, were the last two Jedi in the universe. Any future Jedi would surely be directly related.
That might not be the case. An open Disney casting call is happening this month in the United Kingdom and multiple websites, including the BBC, are reporting it is 100% for Star Wars. The casting sheet lists two roles, one of which is an orphaned female and the other is fatherless male. If those are main characters, they are not likely related to the Skywalkers or Solos. Read More »
For months there has been a stream of conversation about whether or not Star Wars Episode VII will arrive in early summer 2015 as originally planned. Rumors that it would slip to December ’15 were bolstered by some of the news around the announced change of screenwriters from Michael Arndt to J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. But other anecdotal evidence says that Disney chief Bob Iger sees Star Wars as locked in to 2015 — there are a lot of financial plans riding on that release date.
Precisely when the film will hit in 2015 remains the subject of speculation however, with Lucasfilm saying only that the film is going to shoot next year for an “expected 2015 release.”
Now tweets from a Dutch Disney exec seem to position the film as a late 2015 release. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Update: There’s now video of Ejiofor answering a question about Star Wars. See it below.
Imagine being a journalist, landing an interview with J.J. Abrams about his new book (which means you can’t really talk about Star Wars Episode VII too much), then haphazardly running into a potential Oscar winner in Abrams’ office. Exclusive scoop!
That’s what happened to UK newspaper reporter Rhys Blakely, who writes for The Times. He walked into the Bad Robot office to speak with Abrams about S and found Chiwetel Ejiofor waiting there. Does that mean Ejiofor, considered a potential Oscar-contender for 12 Years A Slave, is in Star Wars Episode VII? Not necessarily, but it’s certainly possible. Read More »