Thanks to the Omaze charity efforts of the Star Trek: To Boldly Go campaign, we’ve gotten some glimpses behind the scenes of the forthcoming sequel Star Trek Beyond, including some new aliens, the new Starfleet uniforms, and the cast showing off their best dance moves on the bridge of the Enterprise.
And with one week left to donate, thereby earning the chance to win a walk-on role in the move from director Justin Lin, a new charity video has just surfaced with a Star Trek Beyond charity video that also acts as a Leonard Nimoy tribute, complete with the cast giving Spock’s customary farewell. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
When JJ Abrams rebooted the Star Trek franchise in 2009, he left the door open to include cameos from other series characters through his alternate timeline construct. So will Patrick Stewart ever reprise his tole as Captain Picard either in a future movie or television series? If you ask the English actor, the answer would be no.
Read More »
This morning I came across a well-edited video essay titled Star Wars – The Force of Abrams by Dan Fox (aka Hello Film Guy). The video is essentially an examination of filmmaker JJ Abrams‘ visual storytelling skills, theorizing how his methods might affect Star Wars: The Force Awakens. How will the JJ Abrams visual style affect the next installment of the Star Wars series? Find out after the jump.
Note: The video essay focuses only on visual style and doesn’t delve into the reoccurring plot devices or story beats of Abrams work. So you can feel free to watch this if you’re trying to avoid spoilers or speculation about the plot of The Force Awakens. That said, the video does use clips from the two released trailers.
Read More »
JJ Abrams teamed with Omaze for Force For a Change, a charity fundraiser which gave one lucky Star Wars fan a trip to the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And now Abrams’ production company Bad Robot is again teaming with Omaze to give one lucky Star Trek fan a walk-on role in Star Trek Beyond, as well as a trip to the set for a number of other winners. To promote the charity fundraiser, the cast of Star Trek Beyond recorded a video on the Enterprise set of the new film. Watch the video embedded after the jump.
Read More »
While today’s cell phones have surpassed the capabilities of the communicators from the original Star Trek series, some fans undoubtedly still want to use the iconic flip device for their everyday communication on the phone.
Thankfully, The Wand Company has come through with a new bluetooth handset that is an extremely accurate replica of the Star Trek communicator that will link to your cell phone, has wireless charging and just looks amazing. Whether this is for cosplaying or just showing off your nerd pride, this is a pretty cool little gadget.
See the Star Trek communicator bluetooth handset after the jump! Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
You probably don’t know Skydance Productions yet, but you probably should. The company is making a major play to become the next Legendary Pictures or Marvel Entertainment, and they already are making the next installments of a number of major franchises on both the big and small screens. Their portfoilo of brands include Terminator, Star Trek, Mission Impossible, World War Z, Jack Reacher, Top Gun, GI Joe and much more.
When I was in Berlin Germany this past week to cover the Terminator Genisys premiere, I had the amazing opportunity to sit down with Skydance Productions CEO David Ellison and Chief Creative Officer Dana Goldberg to talk about their company and what they are planning for the future. This extensive roundtable interview was conducted over the course of an hour alongside three of my colleagues. Over the course of the interview we talked about a number of topics, including:
- How Skydance Productions came about
- Why they decided to plan a trilogy of new Terminator films before the release of Terminator Genisys
- How will the planned new Terminator tv series connect with the new films, will it be cable or network show?
- Terminator Genisys: Did they ever consider brining back Edward Furlong as John Connor? How did they recreate young Arnold Schwarzenegger? CG vs. Practicle effects in the new film
- What kind of television series are they developing?
- What will the Three Days of the Condor tv series be about?
- Steve Jobs was Ellison’s personal mentor since childhood, find out how Jobs and Pixar influenced the creation of Skydance.
- Star Trek 3: Is the movie going to be titled Star Trek Beyond? When does shooting start and where are they filming? What is director Justin Lin and screenwriter Simon Pegg bringing to the sequel?
- Will they be producing a new Star Trek tv series? What is preventing a new show from happening?
- Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation: The film test screened even higher than Ghost Protocol. How do get insurance for Tom Cruise‘s crazy stunts? How did changing the release date impact getting that movie to the screen? Did Star Wars: Rogue One cause any title drama? Was any of the movie filmed in IMAX?
- Top Gun 2: David Ellison’s history flying aerobatics, What is the sequel about? Will Tom Cruise be in the new film? How will modern technology and 3D change the dogfights?
- Rebecca Ferguson will be a breakout star in MI5 and Skydance is already considering her for another one of their films
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back: What will the sequel be about?
- How did James Cameron see Terminator Genisys? Was he paid for his endorsement in any way?
- And some brief words on World War Z 2.
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
In what would likely be a dream come true for any Trekkie out there, Paramount Pictures has made the unprecedented move to invite Star Trek fan Michael Gummelt to pitch a new TV series that could allow him to boldly go where no fan as gone before.
Gummelt isn’t an entertainment industry professional or anything like that, which makes this all the more incredible. But he has a thoroughly thought-out pitch for a new TV series called Star Trek Uncharted, formerly known as Star Trek Beyond, which would bring Star Trek into the 21st century, complete with an all-new crew, new technology, and a new Enterprise.
Find out more about Star Trek Uncharted after the jump! Read More »
If the idea of a Wes Anderson-designed Italian cafe just isn’t your thing, maybe you’ll be more interested in working in an office building created to look like the Enterprise from Star Trek. Or if you don’t feel like boldly working where no man has worked before, how about getting some drinks on board the RV meth lab from Breaking Bad?
Both are now possibilities in far parts of the globe thanks to the ingenious ideas of a few die-hard fans of both the classic sci-fi franchise and the contemporary crime thriller series. Get details on the Star Trek Enterprise office and Breaking Bad RV bar after the jump. Read More »
Over the weekend, a new rumor cropped up about Star Trek returning to television. We’ve heard similar talk before, with details ranging from a couple possible new series, to a new animated Trek.
This time, the report is partially based in the old Star Trek: Federation pitch made a decade ago, which was then in development as a possible CBS series, with Robert Burnett, Bryan Singer, and Christopher McQuarrie as producers and a script from Geoffrey Thorne. The new report isn’t so much that Federation is back in action (it’s not) but that some of that team could again be cooking up a show at CBS. The new Star Trek TV rumor is below. Read More »