The battle between Disney and Universal is at the forefront of this edition of Theme Park Bits. Below, read about the following:
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier is coming to Disneyland.
- A new hint has surfaced at the closing of Captain EO.
- Last week marked the 27th anniversary of Star Tours.
- The CEO of Comcast, which owns Universal, says they’re really pushing theme parks.
- Photos from the Diagon Alley expansion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter as well as multiple upgrades at Universal Hollywood.
- A new hotel is opening at Universal Studios Orlando.
- Maleficent gets a new float in a Walt Disney World parade.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 by Angie Han
As part of the promotions for the recently revamped Star Tours, Disney has unveiled an amusing new spot featuring the great and fearsome Darth Vader and a couple of his Stormtroopers taking a tour of Disneyland. In it, the Dark Lord arrives at the park with the intention of checking out the new Star Tours. When he sees that it’s not open yet, he takes his Stormtroopers around the rest of the park. It’s kind of an obvious joke — scary Darth Vader acting goofy is a concept that’s been done in countless parody videos — but it’s still pretty charming. Watch the commercial after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 by Angie Han
With just one month to go before the unveiling of the new Star Tours ride at Disneyland and Disney World, Disney has put out a new press release that reveals a few more tidbits about the revamped attraction. For those who have no idea what a Star Tours is, it’s a popular ride that takes guests on a tour through the Star Wars universe, via a simulation. Or it was, until Disney shut it down last year to work on this new version.
We were already aware that the new attraction, officially called Star Tours: The Adventure Continues would feature 3D effects, variable storylines, some new characters and classic locations, and that C-3PO would be the one flying the ship.
Now Disney has offered up new details on what C-3PO (voiced by Anthony Daniels), R2-D2, droid pilot Ace, and spokesbot Aly San San (voiced by Allison Janney) will be doing during the ride — including an explanation as to how C-3PO ends up in the pilot’s seat. Read on after the jump.
Read More »
In case you hadn’t noticed, we’re a little Star Tours obsessed here on /Film. As Star Wars fans, the original ride was usually the highlight of an already awesome trip to Disney and now, the fact that they’re updating it with state of the art 3D effects and 54 variable stories featuring a ton of classic locations and characters, is almost too cool for words. In tracking the progress of the ride, officially called Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, opening May 20 at Walt Disney World in Florida and June 3 at Disneyland in California, one of the questions has always been, how does that variable story scenario work?
Anthony Daniels – C-3PO himself – has now dropped a bunch of details both on his role in the ride, some hints of what to expect and explained the variable nature of the whole thing. Think “slot machine.” Read what he had to say below. Read More »
The first departure date for Star Tours: The Adventures Continue is rapidly approaching at both Disneyland in Anaheim, California and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. But where will the adventures take us? We already know that the totally revamped 3D thrill ride will take its riders on upwards of 50 different adventures each time they get on and now we’ve got the full list of planets and destinations that riders will be traveling to. Check them out after the break. Read More »
The updated version of Star Tours, Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, opens on May 20 at Walt Disney World in Florida and June 3 at Disneyland in California. It’s a total and utter revamp of the previously dated ride, from the exterior structure where you wait on line to 54 different full-on, immersive 3D Star Wars adventures featuring characters both new and old. A few new photos have popped on line giving us an idea of what to expect this summer and we’ve got them below, plus links to all the previous stories we’ve ran on the ride. Read More »
Attempting to keep up with all the film events in Los Angeles is an exercise in futility. There’s simply too much going on all at once, all over town. But every once in a while a few pieces of news hit at once and that’s why we created /Film LA. Here’s what we’ve got.
- The original 1982 Tron is screening March 5 at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica with writer/director Steven Lisberger and more in attendance. As an added bonus, it’ll be in 70mm.
- My favorite and probably the best theater chain in all of Los Angeles, Arclight Cinemas, just released their first iPhone application.
- Disney has finally set the official opening date for the Disneyland opening of the brand new Star Tours: The Adventures Continue: June 3. Also opening that day is an all-new Little Mermaid ride.
- In case you missed it, Quentin Tarantino is taking over his New Beverly Cinema in March including a premiere run of Kill Bill: The Whole Blood Affair.
Read details about all of this and more after the jump. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
What is Page 2? Page 2 is a compilation of stories and news tidbits, which for whatever reason, didn’t make the front page of /Film. After the jump we’ve included 36 different items, fun images, videos, casting tidbits, articles of interest and more. It’s like a mystery grab bag of movie web related goodness. If you have any interesting items that we might’ve missed that you think should go in /Film’s Page 2 – email us!
Read More »