That sound you hear is Rogue One: A Star Wars Story slowly stepping up to the plate as “the Star Wars movie everyone watches intently and over-analyzes for the next 11 months.” In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits:
- A few nuggets of Rogue One story info.
- Simon Pegg writes about his Star Wars journey.
- A possible return date for Star Wars Rebels.
- The last thing you want to see in a Target toy aisle…
- A fresh look at some stunning Ralph McQuarrie artwork.
- Will Star Wars become a December franchise?
- A new way to control your Sphero BB-8.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
JJ Abrams is one of those filmmakers who loves to hide easter eggs in his films and television shows. And we love to go on the easter egg hunt and find them. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is packed with inside jokes, cameos, fun references to past films, as well as some things that pay homage to the inspiration and fandom of the series.
How many Game of Thrones cameos did you spot? Is it possible the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark might be hidden in this movie somewhere? Find out this and over 50 other Star Wars: The Force Awakens easter eggs, after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, December 17th, 2015 by Angie Han
Reactions to the first Star Trek Beyond trailer were… mixed, to say the least. Some fans loved the big, flashy action beats and Beastie Boys soundtrack, while others fretted that it didn’t really feel like Star Trek. But Simon Pegg, who co-wrote and co-stars in the movie, gets it. “There’s a lot more to the film,” he promised, while advising fans to “be patient.” See the Simon Pegg Star Trek Beyond trailer response after the jump. Read More »
The first teaser trailer for Star Trek Beyond hit the internet yesterday, exciting a lot of people but also pissing off some long-time Trekkies. The complaint is that the movie presented didn’t feel like a Star Trek movie, but instead a modern in-your-face blockbuster. But if you ask director Justin Lin, he’ll quickly remind you it’s just a minute and a half of the movie.
After the jump I present to you excerpts from my hourlong roundtable conversation with Justin Lin, in which he responds to fan criticisms, talks about his personal relationship to Star Trek, the origins of the film’s title, the music choice, the inspiration of the original TV series, what he gave up to direct Trek, his idea for the film, whether it will continue plot lines from Into Darkness, the screenwriting credits, working on a Trek movie with a producer who is directing Star Wars, whether he plans to return to do another Trek movie, and much more.
Read More »
Posted on Monday, December 14th, 2015 by Angie Han
While we eagerly await our return to the galaxy far, far away later this week, Paramount wants to make sure we don’t forget about the other big star-related adventure coming up in our near future. The studio has dropped the first trailer for Star Trek Beyond, the third installment in the rebooted sci-fi franchise and the first one not directed by J.J. Abrams. (He only produced, while Justin Lin took over in the director’s chair.) Watch the Star Trek Beyond trailer after the jump. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
UPDATE: McQuarrie has confirmed on Twitter he’ll return for Mission: Impossible 6.
Original story from 11/19/2015 follows.
Despite concerns about the film’s ending rumored to need some extensive work, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation turned out to be quite the excellent blockbuster to finish out the summer, and it appears Paramount Pictures and Skydance are anxious to keep director Christopher McQuarrie around to keep the franchise going with Mission: Impossible 6. Find out more after the jump!
Variety has word that McQuarrie has been hired to write Mission: Impossible 6, but it’s not clear if he will be back to direct as well. As of now McQuarrie is still in talks with the studio about the project, but they’re getting close to wrapping up negotiations because the hope is for the sequel to be in production by next August. Read More »
Back during the production of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, rumors swirled that J.J. Abrams had brought his Star Trek franchise star (and now sequel co-writer) Simon Pegg into the galaxy far, far away for some kind of cameo in the movie. That rumor was confirmed when Pegg popped up in the Comic-Con sizzle reel from this past summer, wearing a big fat suit, apparently playing some kind of alien.
Now you can finally see what he looks like thanks to a new The Force Awakens featurette from the Disney Channel that focuses on Rey (Daisy Ridley). However, if you’re one of those fans who doesn’t want to see anymore footage, you may want to steer clear, because there are some new snippets of footage, both from the movie and behind the scenes. You’ve been warned! Read More »
Posted on Monday, November 23rd, 2015 by Angie Han
After the jump:
- Pentatonix does Star Wars at the American Music Awards.
- Who’s Simon Pegg playing in The Force Awakens?
- Han and Leia get new Force Awakens banners, too.
- Captain Phasma looks super badass in a new image.
- See a life-size TIE fighter made of Christmas lights.
- Pick up a collectible Star Wars drink topper at Regal.
- Check out Joshua Budich‘s cool Star Wars portraits.
- … and Daz Tibbles‘ vintage-style comic book covers.
- Why it’s okay if Force Awakens doesn’t screen for critics.
- What Force Awakens details were revealed in a kids’ book?
- Google asks users to choose between Light and Dark.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 by Angie Han
We’ve got a couple of casting updates, a seemingly cancelled project, and much more. After the jump:
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back adds Robert Catrini.
- Social Network‘s Abhi Sinha joins Conjuring 2.
- Warner Bros. pulls Project XX from its schedule.
- Peyton Reed imagines a Bring It On sequel.
- Simon Pegg talks about writing Star Trek Beyond.
- Bruce Willis responds to that Die Hard 6 fan pitch.
- No, Daniel Radcliffe won’t be back for Cursed Child.
- The original Aliens comic is getting a fancy deluxe edition.
Read More »