Yesterday a rumor circulated around the internet that British actor Rupert Evans might have been hired to play Superman in the new Justice League of America movie. It seemed very suspicious to us, and we even questioned the rumor based on the actor’s physical height, being a key reason to why he could not play the Man of Steel. Thankfully IESB has been able to confirm this rumor as bunk. Not only that, his UK management revealed that Evans didn’t even try out for the role. So there you have it. I’m sure we might hear who has cast as Superman in the next month.
Posted on Wednesday, October 24th, 2007 by Peter Sciretta
Who will play Superman in the new Justice League of America Movie? Our friends at Dark Horizons are now reporting a rumor that Rupert Evans might have nabbed the role in a London SoHo casting session three weeks ago.
The 30-year-old British actor is best known as rookie agent John Myers in Guillermo Del Toro’s Hellboy, although he has appeared in a few television movies and appeared in a couple tv guest spots. Evans graduated from the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art, and also has a background in theatre. His publicity materials list him as 5’10”, which is almost a half-foot shorter than the character’s traditional height. Brandon Routh is 6’3” and Christopher Reeve was 6’4”. He seems like a bad choice from where I’m sitting.
Hellboy writer/director Guillermo del Toro has revealed the full cast line-up for Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. Let’s take a look:
- Ron Perlman and Selma Blair return to star.
- John Hurt (V For Vendetta, Alien) returns for a cameo.
- Rupert Evans (who played John Myers in the original) will not be returning.
- The script includes a brief cameo/epilogue for Karl Ruprecht Kroenen (played in the original by Ladislav Beran), but it has not yet been approved by Universal.
- John Alexander (body) and Thomas Kretschmann (voice) will play Johann Kraus, a disembodied ectoplasmic spirit with psychic abilities who maintains a tangible form via a containment suit.
- Doug Jones (Hellboy, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer) will play 4 characters.
- Brian Steele (Hellboy, Doom) will play 4 characters.
- Anna Walton (The Mutant Chronicles) will play Princess Nuala.
- Luke Goss (Blade II) plays Prince Nuada.
- Roy Dotrice (Swimming With Sharks, Amadeus) plays King Balor
The movie starts filming this Friday (June 8th) in Budapest. Hellboy 2: The Golden Army hits theaters on August 1st 2008.