Years ago, no one knew who ran a TV show. These days, showrunners are celebrities. The men and women who helm your favorite TV shows are just like film directors, but for movies that are 10 times as long, if not much longer. Running a show is an almost unfathomable task and a new book explores what that actually entails.
It’s called Showrunners: The Art of Running a TV Show by Tara Bennett and it features the words and wisdom of famous showrunners like Joss Whedon, Damon Lindelof, Ronald D. Moore, Terence Winter, Shawn Ryan and many more. It hit shelves today and below we have an exclusive excerpt thanks to Titan Books. Featuring quotes from Whedon, Moore and more, this section of the Showrunners book answers the question “What makes a good showrunner?” Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Battlestar Galactica revamp mastermind Ron Moore has one show, Helix, on the air now, and another premiering later this year. The upcoming one is Outlander, which adapts Diana Gabaldon‘s series of novels about World War II nurse Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe) who finds herself bounced back in time to 18th century Scotland. It’s a bit like Brigadoon, but with a more modern air of romance and violence. A new Outlander trailer has hit, and you can get a taste of the Starz show below. Read More »
Posted on Monday, January 13th, 2014 by Angie Han
Syfy’s Helix has been getting all the attention lately, mostly because it just premiered a few days back, but it’s not the only treat Battlestar Galactica showrunner Ronald D. Moore has in store for us this year.
This summer will see the premiere of Starz’s Outlander, based on Diana Gabaldon‘s series of novels about a World War II nurse (Caitriona Balfe) who’s whisked back in time to 18th century Scotland. The first trailer has finally arrived, and you can check it out after the jump.
Read More »
Helix, the new show from Ron Moore (Battlestar Galactica) has been previewed in a series of atmospheric and ominous teasers. But it’s the main print ad (above), also seen around LA on giant billboards, that has really caught my attention. (Nothing like staring at an exploding head while you’re stuck in traffic.) Now, with just under a week to go before the show premieres, SyFy has put the first fifteen minutes online, so you can preview the beginning of the show’s disastrous situation in the Arctic. Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, November 5th, 2013 by Angie Han
Battlestar Galactica showrunner Ronald D. Moore is returning to Syfy this winter with another tale of people isolated in inhospitable surroundings, as the threat of the end of all humanity looms over them. The specifics, however, are very different this time around.
Helix follows a group of CDC scientists who journey to the Arctic to look into reports of a disease outbreak at a research facility, and then quickly discover that the problem is much more horrifying than they’d feared. Check out the first real trailer after the jump.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 by Angie Han
The Walking Dead ended its third season a couple weeks back, but horror fans looking for their next fix will find that other TV makers are very eager to deliver. Exec producer Eli Roth promises a sexy, gory good time when Hemlock Grove debuts on Netflix next month, while Battlestar Galactica creator Ronald D. Moore is re-teaming with Syfy for the outbreak thriller Helix. Check out new trailers for both after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 by Angie Han
Steel yourself for the very end of Fringe with a new trailer and poster. Also after the jump:
- The Killing is officially returning to AMC for a third season
- Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B get pulled from Sundays
- Who noticed that the Twin Towers were missing on The Carrie Diaries?
- Battlestar Galactica‘s Ron Moore is returning to Syfy with Helix
- iTunes will offer Downton Abbey a little early; Maggie Smith will return
- We Bought a Zoo‘s Colin Ford joins Stephen King‘s Under the Dome
- Hannibal casts Aliens star Lance Henriksen in a guest spot
- See the premiere of the Childrens Hospital spinoff Newsreaders
- Nick Offerman fantasizes about the presidency on Axe Cop
- A new video goes behind the scenes of Game of Thrones Season 3
Read More »
Posted on Monday, September 24th, 2012 by Angie Han
Ah, fall — not only are new shows debuting and old shows returning, shows that don’t even exist yet are getting picked up left and right. After the jump:
- HBO renews Treme for a fourth and final season
- Ron Moore is adapting A Knight’s Tale for ABC
- Fox updates Hamlet for modern-day Washington, DC
- Homeland casts F. Murray Abraham as a CIA agent
- James Caan will be a mob boss on Starz’ Magic City
- Ricky Gervais‘ comedy Derek is headed to Netflix
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, July 19th, 2012 by Angie Han
This past Sunday marked the start of Breaking Bad‘s fifth season, so it probably won’t come as a surprise that two of today’s Bits have to do with trivia surrounding the AMC drug drama. But there’s plenty of other goodies in here for non-BB watchers as well. After the jump:
- BSG‘s Ronald D. Moore will adapt the fantasy series Outlander for television
- Roberto Orci offers a minor update on a possible Star Trek series… or two
- Street Fighter heads to the small screen with Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist
- Bryan Fuller‘s brilliant-but-cancelled Pushing Daisies eyes a Broadway run
- Dexter hires a Heroes alum to swing by Miami and snoop around for a few eps
- AMC’s Hell on Wheels and HBO’s Treme drop trailers for their upcoming seasons
Read More »