Over the summer, a live streaming press conference introduced everyone to the cast of Independence Day 2, officially titled Independence Day: Resurgence (or IDR for those who were a fan of the ID4 shorthand for the original 1996 blockbuster). In that little event, we also learned some key details about the setting for the sequel, but with regards to the plot, we’re still largely in the dark.
But hopefully we’ll learn a little more about IDR this winter as director Roland Emmerich recently revealed in an interview that the Independence Day 2 trailer release will be right around Christmas. But that’s not all the director had to say about the sequel. Read More »
Last year, the Best Picture nominated drama Selma chronicled a pivotal turn in the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s, when the black citizens of the United States were struggling for basic rights and equality. This year we’ll see the start of the modern Gay Rights Movement in the drama Stonewall, and the first trailer has just arrived.
Independence Day and 2012 director Roland Emmerich takes a break from big sci-fi action to tell this true story of a community of young gays, lesbians and drag queens who begin a riot at the Stonewall Inn in New York City in an effort to begin a more active fight for their own rights and acceptance.
Watch the Stonewall trailer after the jump! Read More »
The Independence Day sequel is shooting now in Albuquerque, and Fox invited journalists to set this week to reveal some of the first information about the film. As part of the studio’s set visit turned press day, writer/director Roland Emmerich took park in a live-streamed press conference with cast members Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch, Vivica A. Fox, Brent Spiner, Angelababy, Maika Monroe, Sela Ward, Jessie Usher and Liam Hemsworth.
The film’s proper title was been revealed to be Independence Day: Resurgence. Along with that info there was a lot of other talk about characters both returning and new. You can watch a nicely-edited highlight reel of that livestream below, along with the full archived stream, and a brief title animation treatment.
Read More »
There have been a ton of casting announcements over the last month for Roland Emmerich‘s upcoming Independence Day sequel, some of which we have missed reporting on. With the news today that William Fichtner is joining the ensemble which is currently filming, I thought now is a good time to do a round up of the Independence Day sequel cast, giving you all of the details on who is involved, returning, not returning, and what roles they may have in the upcoming sequel.
Read More »
This edition of sequel bits has some casting, some photos and some interesting trivia from sequels that never will be. Below, read the latest edition of Sequel Bits.
- Joey King and Brent Spiner return for Independence Day 2.
- The kids are scared in a new photo from Jurassic World.
- Brian O’Halloran returns for Mallrats 2.
- See a crazy photo of Kristen Wiig in Zoolander 2.
- Johnny Galecki joins the cast of Rings, plus more details.
- Why isn’t Ja Rule in the Fast and Furious sequels?
- The time has passed for a Dwayne Johnson Hobbs Fast and Furious spin off.
- A new Hitman: Agent 47 poster is out.
- The star of Tomorrowland ponders the possibility of a sequel.
- Watch Broken Lizard start training for Super Troopers 2.
- More discussion about a Dragon Tattoo sequel.
- Adam Sandler killed a Freddy Krueger prequel.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, March 26th, 2015 by Angie Han
Some new pics, some casting, and some very interesting quotes in this edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- Ethan Suplee is also back for Mallrats 2
- Alvin and the Chipmunks 4 books Bella Thorne
- Sam Jones says he’s already set for Ted 3
- Sharknado 3 will be “the worst,” says the Hoff
- See Zoolander and Hansel model for Valentino
- Vin Diesel predicts Best Picture for Furious 7
- There will be a gay couple in Independence Day 2
- James Wan is getting to work on The Conjuring 2
- Simon Pegg is “terrified” to write Star Trek 3
Read More »
Jessie Usher, who plays the lead role in the Starz series Survivor’s Remorse, is now set to play one of the primary characters in the Independence Day sequel, which Roland Emmerich will direct for release almost exactly 20 years after the drop of the original film. Usher will play Dylan Dubrow, who in the original movie was the young stepson of Will Smith’s character, and as such he’s probably either the Independence Day sequel star, or one of them.
UPDATE: In addition, director Roland Emmerich confirmed two names who were previously mentioned for the film: Liam Hemsworth and Jeff Goldblum. Read More »
Briefly: Roland Emmerich is rebooting the film Stargate, and his version of the story has a new set of writers. And, no, that’s not a typo — Roland Emmerich did direct the original 1994 film starring Kurt Russell and he is also going to direct this new reboot. Emmerich’s partner Dean Devlin, who co-wrote the original film, is producing this time out.
THR reports the hire. Nicolas Wright and James A. Woods are the Stargate reboot writers, and if those names sound familiar you might have heard them connected to another Emmerich news thread, concerning the upcoming Independence Day sequel. Woods and Wright have also been working on that sequel, after they came to Emmerich’s attention with an action thriller spec.
This new Stargate film is meant as the first chapter of a new trilogy. There’s no publicly available release date, cast or plotline at this point. The original press release said the upcoming film(s) will be “a new feature film trilogy that reimagines the 1994 film Stargate.”
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 by Angie Han
Liam Hemsworth can currently be seen fighting a totalitarian state in the Hunger Games series, but once it’s over he could move on to more otherworldly enemies. The Aussie actor has reportedly received an offer for the Independence Day sequel, titled ID Forever. More on the Liam Hemsworth Independence Day casting after the jump. Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 by Angie Han
We present to you the very last Sequel Bits of 2014. After the jump:
- Woman in Black 2 unveils a motion comic prequel
- See a leaked image of the Jurassic World Lego set
- Bryan Mills has a big problem in this Taken 3 clip
- Katherine McNamara joins The Maze Runner 2
- Could Randy Quaid return for Independence Day 2?
- Jamie Oliver is still sad he wasn’t in The Hobbit
- Watch the latest Punk’s Dead: SLC Punk! 2 trailer
- Tom Hardy glowers in a new look at Mad Max: Fury Road
Read More »