There was a point when Christian Slater‘s presence in a film was fairly commanding, but his image has been diluted to the point where the best thing we can expect out of a Christian Slater movie is passable entertainment. But this trailer for Stranded, a low-budget horror-thriller set on a space station with Slater as the commanding officer, looks more promising than most. It’s a mashup of recognizable tropes and ideas — a little Solaris, a lot of Alien, a bit of Dead Space, and likely quite a few other things — but the trailer raises hackles and has more than a couple creepy moments.
Roger Christian — yes, the same Roger Christian credited with directing Battlefield Earth — is in the director’s chair, and Brendan Fehr, Amy Matysio, and Michael Therriault also appear. The real star, however, could well be the sense of foreboding, and whatever effects have been brought to bear in order to bring the film to life. Read More »
Disney shutting down Lucasarts is certainly the biggest Star Wars news of the day, but there’s plenty more where that came from. After the jump read about the following:
- J.J. Abrams talks about the comparisons between his 2009 Star Trek and Star Wars.
- Read Eli Roth‘s scathing review of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, written in 1999.
- Lego recalls a potentially offensive Star Wars set.
- Oscar-winning Star Wars Art director Roger Christian doesn’t plan to return for Star Wars Episode VII.
- Peter Jackson dropped in a little Star Wars April Fools joke into his recent video.
- So too did Star Trek alum George Takai.
Read More »
Love is in the air in this edition of Star Wars Bits. After the jump read a few romantic stories, a few speculative ones, some Star Wars history and a possible massive hint at Episode VII. Here’s what we’ve got:
- Disney announced the dates of their long running Star Wars Weekends in 2013
- Ewan McGregor would “be up for” Star Wars Episode VII if needed.
- A long-lost short film that played in front of The Empire Strike Back, Black Angel, might soon resurface online.
- Wes Anderson thinks he could make a good Han Solo origin movie.
- Star Wars MMO The Old Republic is trying to incorporate same sex romance.
- George Lucas just got engaged to the chairman of DreamWorks animation.
- If you have an idea for a Pringles Star Wars commercial, you could win $75,000.
- Could the lead character of Star Wars Episode VII be female?
Read More »
Shadowlocked has confirmed with Star Wars and Alien art-director Roger Christian that Ridley Scott’s upcoming Alien prequel will be shot in 3D.
Read More »