Directors J.J. Abrams (Star Trek), Rian Johnson (Looper), Phil Lord and Chris Miller (22 Jump Street), Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World), and Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) are all white dudes. All very talented white dudes, mind you, but they’re white dudes. This has caused a slight uproar amongst Star Wars fans, but Lucasfilm promises there will be a female Star Wars director. Read more after the jump.
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Star Wars Bits: See Rian Johnson’s Script, Force Awakens Trailer, Benicio del Toro, Paul Shipper and More
Posted on Tuesday, October 6th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits, we take a look at the following:
- Star Wars 8 director Rian Johnson tweets out a photo of his screenplay.
- The new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer is supposedly edited and making the corporate rounds.
- When is the final Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer getting released? October? November?
- New details on what to expect in the Star Wars Battlefront beta.
- See the comic cover art for Darth Vader #15, the grand finale of Marvel’s upcoming crossover event “Vader Down”.
- Benicio del Toro explains what he likes about his Star Wars Episode VIII director Rian Johnson.
- See Paul Shipper’s amazing Star Wars: The Force Awakens character prints.
- And the header photo is Daniel Hoogkamp‘s BB-8 pumpkin.
All this and more. Hit the jump to hyperspace to get started.
Posted on Monday, October 5th, 2015 by Jacob Hall
This year’s MondoCon in Austin, Texas was two days of gorgeous goodness, showcasing mind-blowing pop culture art from all over the world and giving fans a chance to rub elbows with the artists themselves. It’s not the kind of place you go hoping to hear exciting news about new movies, but here we are. During a panel dedicated to his work, comic book, poster and movie concept artist Jock revealed that he’s currently hard at work on two science fiction movies. One of them is small and will be on your radar eventually. The other is already your most anticipated movie of 2017.
Hit the jump for details on the Jock Star Wars Episode 8 announcement!
Star Wars Bits: Chewbacca #1, Rey’s Accent, Battlefront Beta, Skellig Michael Shoot, Mark Hamill’s Facial Hair
Posted on Friday, September 18th, 2015 by Angie Han
Before you go off to spend your weekend chilling like Chewbacca here, we’ve got everything you need to know about what’s new in the world of Star Wars. After the jump:
- Check out an awesome fanmade Holochess table with augmented reality
- Take a peek inside Chewbacca‘s upcoming solo comic series
- The Slave Leia costume and other Star Wars lots are up for auction
- See the Force Awakens pins on sale at Disney parks
- This Battlefront deluxe edition comes with a Han Solo mini-fridge
- The Star Wars Battlefront beta will be open to everyone
- Watch a preview of Star Wars Rebels Season 2
- What accent will Daisy Ridley have in The Force Awakens?
- General Hux actor Domhnall Gleeson defends the First Order
- Rian Johnson thanks the good people of County Kerry, Ireland
- Rest assured no Skellig Michael wildlife was harmed in the shoot
- Mark Hamill has been spotted pulling pints in Ireland
- Episode VIII might be shooting in Greenham Common now
Posted on Wednesday, September 9th, 2015 by Russ Fischer
Writer/director Rian Johnson is getting to work on the new Star Wars film, with the Star Wars Episode VIII shoot set to begin this month in Ireland. We know this because a report out of the country initially indicated that The Force Awakens reshoots were being undertaken.
In fact, however, the new work is the beginning of production on Episode VIII. Now, whether this is a bit of second-unit shooting before the real production begins, or the official start of production, remains to be seen.
Note that some potentially minor spoilers for The Force Awakens follow.
Posted on Thursday, September 3rd, 2015 by Ethan Anderton
Not too long ago, Benicio del Toro confirmed rumors that he was taking a role in the next chapter of the new Star Wars trilogy. In addition, reports have indicated that he will have some kind of villain role, though Disney and Lucasfilm haven’t confirmed anything.
However, del Toro seems to have been given permission to talk about the film as he has just seemingly confirmed the villain part of the equation while also revealing when Star Wars Episode 8 shooting actually begins. Read More »
Posted on Saturday, August 15th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
The Lucasfilm portion of the D23 Expo 2015 opened with confirmation that Colin Trevorrow will direct Star Wars: Episode IX. The official into from Lucasfilm is below. Read More »
Posted on Friday, August 14th, 2015 by Russ Fischer
Now that we know not only the major cast members for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but also their character names and some of the ways they fit into the story, it’s time to actually see that film, right? Well, yes, but because LucasFilm is already moving forward with not only the first Star Wars Anthology film, but the next proper episode in the series, we also have Episode VIII news to contend with.
The first new bit of information about that movie is that Benicio del Toro has been offered the Star Wars Episode VIII villain role. Whether he’ll take it or not remains to be seen, and precisely how he fits into the story’s overall span remains unknown.
Update: Benicio del Toro has confirmed talks for Star Wars: Episode VIII to Entertainment Tonight, saying “I think that it might happen. It looks like it’s gonna happen, so I’m very excited.” Original story follows.
Posted on Wednesday, June 17th, 2015 by Peter Sciretta
When you sign on to work on a Star Wars film, you sign a huge NDA which prevents you from talking about the movie in almost any way possible (for example, see us try to get screenwriter Gary Whitta to talk about Star Wars: Rogue One here). But Star Wars: Episode VIII writer/director Rian Johnson has bet a tiny bit more forthcoming in interviews and on social media (he recently revealed the film format for his upcoming installment on twitter).
Yesterday the Looper/Brick writer/director took to twitter to relay the story of a dream he had which was to inspire a sequence in the upcoming still untitled Star Wars: Episode 8. Of course its nothing serious, but as Rian says, it is “a true story.” Read about the Rian Johnson Star Wars dream after the jump.