This is a really good edition of Star Wars Bits. Rumors, spoilers, video clips, video games, this has it all. Below, read about the following:
- Could the Standalone be about Boba Fett‘s family?
- Episode VIII director Rian Johnson trolls Star Wars nation.
- Disney CEO Bob Iger talks Star Wars The Force Awakens trailer and broadband channel.
- Grand Moff Tarkin is coming to Star Wars Rebels this week. Watch a clip.
- Nicolas Cage enjoyed Hayden Christensen‘s work in the Star Wars prequels.
- Star Wars is coming to Madame Tussauds in London and there’s a video.
- See some awesome clothing made for the Episode VII special effects team.
- Download a ton of old school Star Wars video games via Humble Bundle.
- Multiple major spoilers about the identity, stories and fates of characters in The Force Awakens are discussed.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens December 18 of this year. The first Star Wars standalone film opens December 16, 2016. After that, we have a good idea of what the next few years have in store for Star Wars but nothing is 100% set in stone. For example, though every single outlet in the world has confirmed Rian Johnson is directing Star Wars Episode VIII, along with the filmmaker himself, the company has yet to acknowledge it. And though we’ve heard there will be a Star Wars movie every single year, only the two dates above are confirmed.
However, the long-term future of Star Wars was recently mentioned by Disney CEO Bob Iger. In a Disney shareholders report, he talked about seeing footage from The Force Awakens, confirmed the release years for the next two films in “this” trilogy, and failed to mention the second standalone film. There’s more, too. Read the extremely loaded Star Wars sequel trilogy quote below. Read More »
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is without a doubt one of the most interesting and distinct voices in modern Hollywood. Yes, he’s a great actor and has done some truly awesome films. He has also worked with many wonderful filmmakers, is sought after by even more and also happens to be one himself. He’s already directed one feature, Don Jon, is on the short-list for every big hero role out there, and is the founder of a crowd-sourced media company called HIT RECORD where people can contribute to not only a TV show, but short films and more, all online.
Levitt did a Reddit AMA to promote the first season of HITRECORD ON TV coming to DVD. During the event, he touched on a bunch of interesting topics. He discussed wanting to appear in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, how good he thinks Rian Johnson’s Star Wars Episodes VIII and IX are going to be, the latest on his DC/Vertigo adaptation, Sandman, if he thinks he’ll be in another Batman movie, what makes Christopher Nolan a good director, a possible 3rd Rock from the Sun reunion and more.
Below, read some of the highlights of the Reddit Joseph Gordon-Levitt AMA. Read More »
Jordan Vogt-Roberts is one of the most exciting new filmmakers. We loved his Amblin-esque indie coming of age film The Kings Of Summer, which was a breakout film at Sundance a couple years back. Jordan is currently developing a big screen adaptation of the video game Metal Gear Solid as well as Legendary Pictures’ King Kong prequel/sequel/reboot Skull Island.
Like many of the rest of us, Jordan spent this holiday weekend thinking about Star Wars and geeking out over the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer. He took to Twitter to share a story about his love of Star Wars. I try to explain to people why the year or two experience leading up to The Phantom Menace was still worth it despite the film not living up to expectations. Jordan shares the magic and power of the fan community, explaining it much better than I could. Read the Jordan Vogt-Roberts Star Wars story in full after the jump.
Read More »
Cool events for The Force Awakens, Episode VIII news and much more in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following.
- Oscar-winning production designer Rick Heinrichs has been tapped for Rian Johnson‘s Star Wars Episode VIII.
- Actress Jessica Henwick may appear in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Read about two awesome Force Awakens trailer events in Los Angeles and Austin.
- Star Wars Rebels will marathon on Disney and Disney XD in December.
- See a tease of what’s to come on Star Wars Rebels.
- A full novelization of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is in the works.
- Revenge of the Sith 3D may still be released after The Force Awakens.
- Is it possible there’s more than one trailer for The Force Awakens?
- Check out the pencils for Alex Ross‘s Star Wars Marvel cover.
- What is the biggest challenge for Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
- How does a new character in The Force Awakens move?
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Update from Editor Peter Sciretta: The first part of the podcast was published yesterday, which is what we originally reported on. The second part of the conversation is now online, and I have updated the bottom of this story with additional information including Episode VIII shooting schedule, the process of writing the script and shooting location. The original post from September 18th 2014 follows, followed by an BOLDED marked update with the additional information.
Rian Johnson talked a bit about the creative freedom he has been given working on Star Wars Episode VIII (and IX?) while talking to fellow filmmaker Terry Gilliam on the TalkHouse podcast. Find out what Johnson said about writing the next installment of the Star Wars franchise, what it’s like to be working in someone else’s world, the obligation to bring Yoda and puppets back to the series, and an idea to have Gilliam have a cameo which might reveal a possible character in the upcoming eighth film. All this and more can be read and heard in the Rian Johnson Terry Gilliam Star Wars discussion, after the jump.
Read More »
Twitter can be a magical place. A place where connections are made in front of your eyes. Usually in Hollywood, when a producer wants to hire a director, that person has to go through an agent, who then assesses the opportunity, then contacts the manager who discusses it with the director and a decision is made.
Or, on Twitter, you just ask and they say yes.
Friday evening, Ain’t It Cool News‘ Eric Vespe tweeted that he hopes Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg try to cast Kurt Russell as the Saint of Killers in their AMC adaptation of the popular comic book, Preacher. Director Duncan Jones, who has been a little out of the loop over the past year making some tiny video game movie, asked Vespe about the project. Then Rogen himself jumped in and asked if Jones would direct. Will this actually happen? Who knows. But it’s a great Twitter conversation to read and even Rian Johnson got int he mix. Check it out below. Read More »
Star Wars Episode VII is currently filming, the first Star Wars spinoff comes after that, and then Rian Johnson is making Star Wars Episode VIII. Tentatively, that suggests the film would be released in 2017, and the director is already being courted for roles in the film. Case in point comes from the Hulk himself, Mark Ruffalo.
The actor worked with Johnson on 2008’s The Brothers Bloom and recently emailed the director congratulating him on the job and letting him know he’d love to be in the movie. Johnson then took to Twitter to respond. Read everything Mark Ruffalo Star Wars below.
UPDATE: Now some other stars are asking Johnson to be in the film. See their tweets below. Read More »
Today in Star Wars Bits, we take a look at:
- Lucasfilm Story Group’s Pablo Hidalgo clarifies his Comic Con “no flashbacks” comment.
- Were all the recent Episode 7 rumors fake and actually passed off from the Dark Horse comic book series Star Wars: Legacy?
- Star Wars spin-off director Gareth Edwards accepts the Ice Bucket Challenge in the LucasFilm Yoda fountain.
- Harrison Ford more active after leg injury
- Read the rumored plot synopsis for Christie Golden‘s upcoming Star Wars novel featuring Asajj Ventress and Quinlan Vos
- The special features included in the Star Wars Rebels: Spark Of Rebellion DVD/Blu-ray
- The trailer and release of the Star Wars: Commander iOS game.
- Also: The above three posters were fan created, by AndrewSS7.
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »