Update from Editor Peter Sciretta: The first part of the podcast was published yesterday, which is what we originally reported on. The second part of the conversation is now online, and I have updated the bottom of this story with additional information including Episode VIII shooting schedule, the process of writing the script and shooting location. The original post from September 18th 2014 follows, followed by an BOLDED marked update with the additional information.
Rian Johnson talked a bit about the creative freedom he has been given working on Star Wars Episode VIII (and IX?) while talking to fellow filmmaker Terry Gilliam on the TalkHouse podcast. Find out what Johnson said about writing the next installment of the Star Wars franchise, what it’s like to be working in someone else’s world, the obligation to bring Yoda and puppets back to the series, and an idea to have Gilliam have a cameo which might reveal a possible character in the upcoming eighth film. All this and more can be read and heard in the Rian Johnson Terry Gilliam Star Wars discussion, after the jump.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Twitter can be a magical place. A place where connections are made in front of your eyes. Usually in Hollywood, when a producer wants to hire a director, that person has to go through an agent, who then assesses the opportunity, then contacts the manager who discusses it with the director and a decision is made.
Or, on Twitter, you just ask and they say yes.
Friday evening, Ain’t It Cool News‘ Eric Vespe tweeted that he hopes Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg try to cast Kurt Russell as the Saint of Killers in their AMC adaptation of the popular comic book, Preacher. Director Duncan Jones, who has been a little out of the loop over the past year making some tiny video game movie, asked Vespe about the project. Then Rogen himself jumped in and asked if Jones would direct. Will this actually happen? Who knows. But it’s a great Twitter conversation to read and even Rian Johnson got int he mix. Check it out below. Read More »
Star Wars Episode VII is currently filming, the first Star Wars spinoff comes after that, and then Rian Johnson is making Star Wars Episode VIII. Tentatively, that suggests the film would be released in 2017, and the director is already being courted for roles in the film. Case in point comes from the Hulk himself, Mark Ruffalo.
The actor worked with Johnson on 2008′s The Brothers Bloom and recently emailed the director congratulating him on the job and letting him know he’d love to be in the movie. Johnson then took to Twitter to respond. Read everything Mark Ruffalo Star Wars below.
UPDATE: Now some other stars are asking Johnson to be in the film. See their tweets below. Read More »
Today in Star Wars Bits, we take a look at:
- Lucasfilm Story Group’s Pablo Hidalgo clarifies his Comic Con “no flashbacks” comment.
- Were all the recent Episode 7 rumors fake and actually passed off from the Dark Horse comic book series Star Wars: Legacy?
- Star Wars spin-off director Gareth Edwards accepts the Ice Bucket Challenge in the LucasFilm Yoda fountain.
- Harrison Ford more active after leg injury
- Read the rumored plot synopsis for Christie Golden‘s upcoming Star Wars novel featuring Asajj Ventress and Quinlan Vos
- The special features included in the Star Wars Rebels: Spark Of Rebellion DVD/Blu-ray
- The trailer and release of the Star Wars: Commander iOS game.
- Also: The above three posters were fan created, by AndrewSS7.
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Today has been full of talk about Star Wars Episode VII, but for a moment let’s look even further into the future, towards Star Wars Episode VIII. We assume the movie will be released in 2017, and Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, Breaking Bad) is already set to write and direct. Johnson has been super-quiet so far about the job, and we wouldn’t expect anything else. But he appeared on a Grantland podcast to talk about a wide variety of topics. Naturally, Star Wars came up. After the break, find the podcast and get some of Rian Johnson’s comments about Star Wars Episode VIII. Read More »
Some very interesting Star Wars Rebels news combines with some fun, and potentially revealing Star Wars Episode VII news. In this edition of Star Wars Bits, read about the following:
- Looper and Brick star Joseph Gordon-Levitt geeks out over Rian Johnson directing Star Wars Episode VIII.
- Screenwriter Gary Whitta posts a familiar phrase.
- Toys R Us posted an interesting behind the scenes Star Wars Rebels video.
- The Star Wars Fan Film Awards are back.
- Domnhall Gleeson reveals the one thing Star Wars Episode VII stars are allowed to say about the filming.
- An artist reveals what a Star Wars Episode VII Stormtrooper might look like
- WWE wrestler Sheamus was on the same island as Star Wars Episode VII.
- Darth Vader is likely in Star Wars Rebels.
- An apparently Star Wars braintrust meeting is taking place in London soon.
Read More »
Thursday, news broke that actress Daisy Ridley had signed with a new agency. This in itself isn’t that exciting. While 99% of the world doesn’t know who the actress is (she only has like 7,000 followers on Twitter), next year that’ll change. She’s one of the leads in J.J. Abrams‘ Star Wars Episode VII. Rumors and speculation have run rampant over which character the actress is playing but, buried in the agency story, was a bit of a hint. Her signing with the new agency is because she’s expected to return for Rian Johnson‘s Star Wars Episode VIII and Star Wars Episode IX. Read more about Daisy Ridley Star Wars below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Imagine being Rian Johnson. While we all sit out here and gossip about what’s happening in Star Wars Episode VII, he’s sitting at Lucasfilm with the full knowledge of that film, working on how the story will unfold after this first new chapter. For real, that’s got to be in the top five coolest jobs in the world right now. So it’s pretty special when the writer/director of Star Wars Episode VIII and potential writer of Star Wars Episode IX steps out of his Lucasfilm shell for a little interview.
Johnson Skyped into the live 500th episode of the Filmspotting podcast to talk a bit about his new movies. Among his statements was this: “I’m really excited about all the things I can’t tell you.” He also joked about how he got the job, what it means to him and his respect of the prequels. Read all about Rian Johnson and Star Wars 8 below. Read More »