Barry Sonnenfeld isn’t bothered by all the negative press around his latest film, Men in Black 3. According to reports, Sonnenfeld’s return to directing after about five years was a runaway train of rising costs, script problems and on-set drama. None of that matters to the director because the movie speaks for itself. Men in Black 3 is finally out May 25 (read our review here) and Sonnenfeld is confident audiences will eat up his crowd-pleasing summer blockbuster featuring the on-screen return of Will Smith, back after a four-year hiatus, and both Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin in the same role.
/Film has the pleasure of speaking with Sonnenfeld about his latest MIB film and, after the jump, you can watch the full video. We discuss the New York Mets, some of the more surprising visuals in the film, Will Smith’s input on the set and story, the controversy over script changes, the fact its not a Big Willie Weekend release with Big Willie song….and vagina. Yes, that’s right. Check it out below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Sequels in all stages of production – from hypothetical, to development, greenlit, filming and finished – are all featured in today’s Sequel Bits. After the jump read about the following:
- A prequel to the video game Tekken might be on the way from the director of Ong Bak. Or not according to the creator.
- Not only would Andrew Stanton be open to making Finding Nemo 2, he feels Pixar will continue to make sequels after Monsters University and beyond.
- Watch an awesome 15 minute interview with Rick Baker, in his studio, talking Men in Black 3 monsters.
- Men in Black 3 didn’t have a lot of deleted scenes.
- Check out a teaser poster for Red 2
- Iron Man 3 starts shooting today and just got their budget increased.
- Mad Max: Fury Road with Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron starts shooting June 2.
Read More »
When Barry Sonnenfeld‘s Men in Black 3 was in production, much was made of behind the scenes problems. Reports circulated that it began filming without a full script, production stopped for months on end and scenes were written on the day. No matter to what degree those reports were true or false, the final product definitely feels like a film searching for its identity in those same ways. It wobbles out of the start gate, almost drops out of the race, then finds its footing and finishes strong.
Leaps and bounds better than Men in Black II and featuring many of the traits that mad the 1997 original a hit, Men in Black III is better than you’re expecting but not as good as you’d hoped. Read More »
Posted on Monday, May 21st, 2012 by Angie Han
Three sequels, two threequels, and a TV show spinoff feature in today’s Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- Mandy Moore talks about Tangled 2 and Tron: Uprising
- A German screening of Men in Black 3 breaks a world record
- Fan Bingbing and Yang Mi join Andy Lau in Iron Man 3
- Robert Rodriguez drops hints on Machete Kills and Sin City 2
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, May 17th, 2012 by Angie Han
After years away from sci-fi, director Ridley Scott is returning to the genre in a big way this summer with Prometheus, and he aims to stick around for a while. Scott already has hopes of working on Prometheus 2 sooner rather than later, and is currently in the middle of developing some kind of sequel to Blade Runner. Also after the jump:
- Check out some gorgeous Prometheus concept art
- Iron Man 3 filming at the Cape Fear Club in North Carolina
- Will Catching Fire leave North Carolina for Georgia?
- Still more specifics on Grown Ups 2 filming in Marblehead, MA
- Watch some behind-the-scenes footage from Piranha 3DD
- See how award-winning artist Rick Baker makes an MIB3 alien
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 by Angie Han
Bloodthirsty fish, show-offy zebras, superpowered brothers, and overgrown manchildren run wild in today’s Sequel Bits. After the jump:
- Josh Trank still not sure on Chronicle 2
- Similarly, Joss Whedon undecided on Avengers 2
- More Grown Ups 2 shooting news in New England
- MIB3‘s viral campaign concludes with a final video
- Chris Rock rocks out in a new Madagascar 3 clip
- The Hoff features prominently in clips from Piranha 3DD
- Chris Hemsworth spills about Thor and Loki’s relationship
Read More »
When it comes to news about sequels, you really can’t get more varied than the news you’re about to read in this column. We’ve got documentary sequel news, news on a sequel to a sequel that isn’t even out yet, news on a sequel that will likely never happen, news on a sequel to a movie that shouldn’t have a sequel and more. After the jump read about:
- Writers have been tapped to write The Smurfs 3 well over a year before The Smurfs 2 hits theaters.
- Will Smith would be interested in doing Hancock 2, but there’s no active development.
- Get your first look at the crew of Star Trek 2 as Lego characters.
- The latest installment in Michael Apted‘s Up series, 56 Up, premieres May 14.
- A new Men in Black 3 featurette focuses on the time-twisting story.
- The plot synopsis for Doctor Sleep, Stephen King‘s sequel to The Shining, is now online.
- Warner Bros. is reportedly developing a sequel to Contagion.
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 by Angie Han
Lots to see in today’s Sequel Bits, including a DVD featurette, a blooper reel, a TV spot, posters, and a (not at all revealing) set photo. After the jump:
- Another new TV spot debuts for Men in Black 3
- Gary Busey goes nuts in Piranha 3DD outtakes
- Watch a featurette from the Underworld: Awakening DVD
- Simon Pegg and Zachary Quinto tweet wrapping Star Trek 2
- Check out the Korean G.I. Joe: Retaliation posters
- Donnie Yen is set to return for Ip Man 3D
- Who wants to be an extra on Atlas Shrugged Part 2?
Read More »