Okay, so today ends the abundance of Star Wars: The Force Awakens news breaks as the Entertainment Weekly cover story has been released. After the jump you can find a round-up of all the new information we haven’t previously covered, including the final Force Awakens running time, the answer to if Starkiller base is another Death Star, Lawrence Kasdan talkimg about “starting from scratch” when he came on to rework Michael Arndt’s script, details on Kylo Ren and General Hux’s relationship and motivations, Daisy Ridley’s funny Harrison Ford story and much more. We also have a 47 second preview that aired on Disney XD in the UK which features a bunch of new footage.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 by Jacob Hall
Once upon a time, Lawrence Kasdan wrote (and occasionally directed) many of your favorite movies. You’ll find his name on Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Body Heat, The Big Chill, and Silverado. For a stretch, he had a magic touch – whatever he touched turned into something great. Even the film that derailed his career for a decade, an adaptation of Stephen King’s Dreamcatcher, is the kind of mesmerizing, stunningly awful bad-movie-masterpiece that could have only been made by a genuinely talented person.
When Star Wars: The Force Awakens was still in development a few years ago, director J.J. Abrams brought Kasdan into the fold to co-write the screenplay with him and it just felt right. After all, if you’re going to capture that original trilogy vibe you might as well work with someone who helped craft that vibe in the first place. Kasdan immediately followed up that assignment with a Han Solo anthology film. However, the legendary screenwriter has now revealed that he’ll be retiring from the Star Wars business after that next project.
For all the Star Wars writer news worth dissecting and speculating over, hit the jump.
Read More »
Even though J.J. Abrams has been a fan of Star Wars for a long time, he’s never been more engulfed in the galaxy far, far away than he has for the past two or three years. Given the Herculean task of delivering a new film in the iconic sci-fi saga that will launch a new era of Star Wars for fans both old and new, Abrams has had a lot on his plate, and a new extensive interview with the director gives us a glimpse into his mindset both as a filmmaker and as a fan.
Below, we round up some of the more fascinating quotes from Abrams, featuring his perspective on Star Wars: The Force Awakens marketing, giving secrets to Episode VIII director Rian Johnson, working with the legendary John Williams and much more. Read More »
Han Solo is coming back to movie screens, and it won’t just be through the return of Harrison Ford to the role in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Lucasfilm is also developing a Star Wars Anthology movie focused on a younger Han Solo. And, given that the Star Wars prequels featured a very young, perhaps too-young Anakin Skywalker, we’ve wondered what the story will be for the Han Solo film, and how old he’ll be.
While we still don’t know the story for the film that Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The LEGO Movie, 21 Jump Street) will direct for a 2018 release, we do know that Han will likely be in his late teens or early ’20s in that film. Kathleen Kennedy of Lucasfilm has a lot to say about the spin-off, even at this early stage, and we’ve got her comments, along with talk from co-writer Lawrence Kasdan, below. Read More »
What happened when Harrison Ford injured himself on the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Find out why director JJ Abrams says that broken leg was in some weird way the “greatest gift to the movie”.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Entertainment Weekly is on a roll with Star Wars coverage from their upcoming Kylo Ren cover issue featuring Star Wars: The Force Awakens. One of the many things their coverage has touched upon is the meaning behind the names of the characters in Episode 7. How did Finn, Rey, Poe Dameron and Kylo Ren get their names? What was director JJ Abrams’ inspiration? Is there a greater meaning to the names? Find out after the jump.
Read More »
Even though we’re still 127 days from seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens, this movie is the beginning of a plethora of projects all set in a galaxy far, far away. That means there has been a lot of planning behind the scenes with regards to the story arcs of the new characters and returning heroes in Episode VII, and thanks to all the Star Wars details emerging today, we have a better idea of how the future is being planned for the new trilogy.
Director J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy recently spoke about mapping out the new trilogy and emulating the themes of the original movies. There’s also chatter about just how much creative freedom director and writer Rian Johnson has on Star Wars Episode 8, despite having a basic idea of where the characters in the Star Wars universe are headed. Read More »
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits:
- Have the current Disneyland Star Wars Land plans been rejected by the Disney board?
- Disney head Bob Iger tries to temper huge box office expectations for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Exclusive extras to come with Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Disney Infinity bundles at select retailers.
- Simon Kinberg describes how the brain trust plots the new Star Wars films
- TOYS “R” US will host a Midnight “Force Friday” Celebration
- The header image is a Star Wars: The Force Awakens Apoca Star Destroyer on Jakku created by KevFett2011 with 12,000 lego bricks
- Possible Spoilers: A new rumor claims an iconic Star Wars character might be getting a Force Awakens action figure — even if this is true, does it mean anything for the film?
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next the power of Star Wars Bits. This week’s news from a galaxy far, far away includes the following:
- Details on The Battle of Jakku and more post-Return of the Jedi info
- Harrison Ford gives advice to new co-stars, uses lightsaber as a cane
- New info on Han Solo and Chewie in The Force Awakens
- BB-8 on the cover of Make magazine
- Comic-Con interviews with J.J. Abrams and cast
- George Lucas to be honored at D23
- Science Channel ILM documentary special teaser clip
- Kevin Smith got screwed by Star Wars at Comic-Con
- Production designer talks mandate for authenticity in Episode VII
- Amy Schumer‘s saucy Star Wars photoshoot for GQ
- New details on Star Wars Battlefront gameplay
- Gary Whitta on Star Wars and the Comic-Con experience
Read More »