When the director of the first two Star Trek films went to another Star-oriented franchise, the world waited to hear who would direct the third new Star Trek film. Dozens of names were floated for Star Trek 3 and then Roberto Orci, a co-producer and writer on the first two films in the series, stepped into the seat. This was a controversial decision. Orci had never directed a film; fans were worried. Fast-forward a few months and Orci is out. He’s still involved as a producer, but he won’t be directing. The search is on once again on for another director.
As Paramount and Bad Robot frantically try and find someone to hit a planned Summer 2016 release date, we figured we’d help. We came up with 15 names who should, could, and actually might direct Star Trek 3. That means anyone who has an obvious film in the pike is out. Anyone who had passed is out and huge Hail Marys like Spielberg, Nolan or Scorsese are out. What’s left is a half wish-list, half possible list of 15 names. Read our Star Trek 3 director ideas below. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 by Angie Han
After four installments in less than 10 years, Justin Lin finally handed over the reins of the Fast and Furious franchise to James Wan for next year’s Furious 7. But he may already be coming back for more.
A new report indicates Lin and Universal could re-team for Fast and Furious 8 (or whatever it winds up being called) and an additional installment which will then close out the franchise. Hit the jump for more on the possible Justin Lin Fast and Furious 8 return.
Read More »
Yesterday Colin Farrell confirmed reports that he would be co-starring in the second season of True Detective. Today we learn a ton of new True Detective Season 2 details. Hit the jump!
Read More »
Most thrillers keep the suspense on-screen, but the Bourne franchise now has edge-of-your-seat action behind-the-scenes too. News that Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass would return to Universal to make the fourth Jason Bourne film has been the biggest surprise of the week so far. But that’s just the beginning.
Greengrass didn’t have the most pleasant split from the franchise after The Bourne Ultimatum, despite it being the most successful film of the franchise. Damon said he’d only play Bourne again if Greengrass returned, and that didn’t seem like a very likely option. Now they may both be back for Bourne 5, putting the planned 2016 sequel to Jeremy Renner‘s The Bourne Legacy in question.
But hold up — things aren’t quite so set on either front just yet, suggests producer Frank Marshall. There’s no deal for Greengrass yet, and in the meantime development on the Renner sequel is still moving forward. “We’re on two tracks,” he says. Read More »
The first season of True Detective was unusual, as it was directed entirely by one person, Cary Fukunaga. We know the second season of the show will be different — a new cast, a new story, and a set of directors rather than one person to oversee the whole season. Now the first of those directors is named, as Justin Lin is in talks to be the first True Detective season 2 director. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Jet Li made his debut in the 1982 movie Shaolin Temple (billed in the trailer as a “grand production of billion dollars”!), and the film was a landmark in martial arts cinema. A collaboration between US and Chinese companies is backing a remake, and there’s an eye-roll waiting at the end of that news. But Justin Lin, best known for the Fast & Furious series, was announced as director earlier this year. That’s interesting. And now Andrew Dominik (The Assassination of Jesse James, Killing Them Softly) will script the movie. More on the Andrew Dominik Shoalin Temple report follows.
Read More »
Posted on Friday, June 20th, 2014 by Angie Han
UPDATE: Producer Frank Marshall has issued a straightforward denial that Matt Damon will be back for Bourne 5. More info below after the original story text.
Universal didn’t offer an official explanation when it announced this week that Bourne 5 had been pushed back a year to 2016. But the rumor mill, as usual, is happy to fill in the blanks.
The latest (unconfirmed) word is that Bourne 5 was delayed to accommodate a busy star. No, not Jeremy Renner. Matt Damon. Hit the jump for more on Damon’s possible return.
Read More »
Briefly: The once jam-packed summer of 2015 continues to thin out. In a slow parade, one film after another has bowed out of next year’s summer season. Now another can be added the list. The fifth Bourne film, which is still untitled, has moved from August 14, 2015, to July 15, 2016.
Jeremy Renner is back as Aaron Cross and Justin Lin is directing. Beyond that, we know very little. What we do know is Lin will now have a lot more time to make the movie, which will open against Ice Age 5. Universal will distribute.
We’ve figured for years that Warner Bros. would get around to remaking Lethal Weapon sooner or later. There has been no reported movement on the project, but with the title standing as one of the studio’s more recognizable and salable catalog titles, it has to happen. Now there are rumors of movement, and producers are at least not straying from the idea of an Australian in the lead role. Word is that Chris Hemsworth is being sought to star in the reboot, with Justin Lin as the possible director.
Update: At least half of this rumor is already debunked, as Justin Lin says he’s not doing the movie. More below.
Read More »