Its been a while since we’ve done a proper Theme Park Bits round-up, so we have a lot to share with you. Here are some of the stories we’ll be talking about today:
- A tease of the Na’vi Animatronics from Avatar Land
- See photos of Avatar Land‘s construction
- New Footage and concept art from Star Wars Land
- Watch a preview of Soarin Around The World and learn when you’ll be able to ride it
- Finding Dory characters will be added to EPCOT attraction
- Watch sneak preview of Animal Kingdom‘s new Tree of Life and Rivers of Light night-time shows
- A first look at Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi, which will include Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman rides
- A look at Universal Studios Japan’s walking dinosaurs from Jurassic Park
- Universal Orlando raises annual price passes
All this and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Monday, April 18th, 2016 by Angie Han
Much in the way that a hubristic entrepreneur might revive a long-extinct species, Colin Trevorrow resurrected the dormant Jurassic Park franchise last year with Jurassic World. But while bringing dinos back to life has only ever gone poorly for the humans within the Jurassic Park universe, the relaunch worked out spectacularly in ours. Universal had a massive hit on its hands, and former indie director Trevorrow gained so much momentum that he steered himself right into a Star Wars movie.
Which, in turn, left the director slot wide open for the inevitable Jurassic World sequel. Now we finally know who’ll fill it. Juan Antonio Bayona has been set to helm Jurassic World 2, which will once again star Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard. Read More »
It’s no secret that we love great artwork inspired by film and television, and today we have a smorgasbord of fantastic new prints from three different artists for three different beloved movies from the sci-fi and fantasy genres, all of which happen to be adaptations of beloved books as well.
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Jurassic Park all get gorgeous art tributes from Dan Mumford, Gerhard and Kilian Eng respectively. You can see all the prints below, including details on how to get your hands on (most of) them, and how much lighter they’ll make your wallet. Read More »
Even though some fans of Jurassic Park were disappointed to see that there were less practical dinosaur effects used for last summer’s Jurassic World, that doesn’t mean the visual effects don’t deserve some praise. And if you need convincing that some fantastic work was done in post-production on the movie, a visual effects breakdown shows just how much work went into bringing the operational theme park to life. Check out the Jurassic World visual effects breakdown below. Read More »
This year Jurassic World made a huge splash at the box office, proving the dinosaurs and nostalgia make a pretty lethal combination, even if the movie in question could have benefited from a little more innovation and a little less tribute. And even though the film’s opening weekend box office records were just broken by Star Wars: The Force Awakens, there’s still a sequel on the way in 2018, and we’ll see if audiences are still in the mood for more blockbuster dinosaur action.
In the meantime, let’s take a look back at the modern classic that started it all with a video essay that dives into the perfectly crafted T-Rex attack from Jurassic Park. Read More »
With recent news of a Jurassic World trilogy in the works to follow the success of the sequel/reboot this past summer, the popularity of the Jurassic Park franchise might be bigger than it’s ever been. There’s plenty of dinosaur action in our future from Universal Pictures.
Now two fans have taken their love of the franchise to an extreme level with a massive LEGO creation that takes all four of the Jurassic Park movies spanning 22 years and combines them into one giant set, not unlike the LEGO Jurassic World video game that was released this year in conjunction with the movie. Check it out! Read More »
It’s been a couple days since Jurassic World hit Blu-Ray and DVD, and that’s all it took for one fan to compile all of the visual references the sequel/reboot makes to the original Jurassic Park.
Some of these we covered in our list of Jurassic World Easter eggs over the summer, but there’s a lot more visual evidence now that a hard copy of the movie can be used to show them. Check out all the Jurassic Park references in Jurassic World after the jump! Read More »
In the latest edition of Theme Park Bits, we take a look at the following:
- Universal Studios Japan announces new Jurassic Park ride
- Find out when Star Wars Season of the Force will take place in Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando
- See a preview of Pixar’s Good Dinosaur in Disneyland and Walt Disney World
- More information about the Frozen stage production coming to Disney California Adventure
- Get a first look at the Motiongate theme park coming to Dubai in 2016
- Universal Orlando follows Disney’s lead and raises Annual Pass and parking prices
- Comcast is buying 51% stake in Universal Studios Japan
All this and more, hit the jump to get started.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Its been a while since we’re covered the short ends in the world of theme parks, so lets get to it. Here is what you can expect to see in today’s theme park bits:
- Beijing To build largest Universal Studios theme park
- See the first poster for Universal Studios Hollywood’s The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Watch a video and see photos to see how far along The Wizarding World of Harry Potter construction is.
- An Indiana Jones themed bar will open next week in Walt Disney World.
- Ariel photos of Avatar Land’s construction in Orlando.
- Star Wars themed shop “Watto’s Grotto” Opens At Hollywood Studios
- Walt’s Restaurant has been confirmed for Downtown Disney in Orlando
- See a video from rehearsals of Tangled: The Musical.
- Disneyland replaces their popcorn.
All that and more. Hit the jump to board the ride. (watch your step)
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, August 20th, 2015 by Angie Han
Amid a tsunami of tie-ins that included sequels, video games, toys, games, etc., the one thing the Jurassic Park franchise never got was an cartoon. But it wasn’t for lack of trying. Artist William Stout has revealed there were once plans for a Jurassic Park animated series, described as a “mature” primetime show with a “graphic novel look.”
Alas, Steven Spielberg never signed off, so we never got to see the show. But now thanks to Stout’s concept art, we can dream about what might’ve been. See the Jurassic Park animated series artwork after the jump.
Read More »