In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits, we take a look at the following stories:
- Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says a woman will direct a Star Wars movie and Elizabeth Banks says she is ready for that job.
- Alan Tudyk talks about his time on set filming Star Wars: Rogue One.
- How Star Wars played a role in Brie Larson‘s drama Room.
- Find out how to buy the Luke Skywalker’s lost hand limited edition action figure.
- Watch the Star Wars Rebels Season 2 press conference from NYCC.
- The George Lucas Museum secures city parks approval in Chicago.
- Watch Darth Vader take out a snow speeder with his lightsaber in Star Wars Battlefront.
- Read the plot synopsizes for four upcoming Star Wars: Journey to the Force Awakens short stories by Landry Quinn.
All that and more, in today’s edition of Star Wars Bits. Hit the jump to hyperspace.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
One of the best things about a new Star Wars movie coming this winter is that we’re also getting an entirely new feature length score from legendary composer John Williams. However, for fans who were hoping to hear the music he wrote far in advance of the movie’s release, we have some potentially bad news.
A press release from Walt Disney Records went out today announcing that the Star Wars: The Force Awakens score won’t be available for purchase until the movie is in theaters this holiday season. Read More »
It’s hard to imagine what Star Wars would be like without the incredible music of composer John Williams. The themes created by the master of movie music are just as iconic as the movie itself, and more recognizable than 95% of the scores we hear for movies. But how does Williams prepare to write music for films?
Some vintage footage from 1980 shows Williams sitting down with producer George Lucas, director Irvin Kershner and producer Gary Kurtz to watch a cut of The Empire Strikes Back without music in order to figure out what he wants to do with the score for these scenes. In the clip, you actually get to see footage from the Star Wars sequel with a temporary soundtrack, and it’s absolutely fascinating. Read More »
Posted on Friday, August 14th, 2015 by Angie Han
Had enough Star Wars yet this week? Surely not. After the jump:
- Check out another new image from Star Wars: Battlefront
- … and get details on the game’s just-announced “Supremacy” mode
- The Battlefront tie-in novel Twilight Company gets an official synopsis
- Ooh and aah over the pretty colors of the Star Wars CoverGirl makeup collection
- … and find out which other brands are partnering with Lucasfilm for The Force Awakens
- Go inside ILM‘s VR and augmented reality think tank, xLab (Rogue One‘s Gareth Edwards is a fan)
- An anonymous insider reports from a John Williams recording session
- Force Awakens returns to Skellig Michael for more shooting this fall
- Are the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3.75″ toys hinting at something?
- See a preview of Kanan: The Last Padawan #5 and Star Wars #8
- Shattered Empire #1 gets pushed back a week (boo), and reveals a variant cover (yay!)
Read More »
Mondo previously released John Williams‘ Jurassic Park soundtrack on a beautiful limited edition vinyl release featuring art by JC Richards and Dan McCarthy. Now Mondo have revealed their sequel, a vinyl pressing of Michael Giacchino‘s Jurassic World score featuring original cover artwork by Stan & Vince. See and learn about the the limited edition Mondo Jurassic World vinyl release after the jump.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Many forms of media are present in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Vinyl, video games, television, movies, comic books and so much more. Below, read about the following:
- John Williams‘ score for Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace is now on vinyl.
- Photos of Princess Leia in Star Wars: The Force Awakens leak.
- See the Boba Fett Disney Infinity 3.0 figure and a new E3 trailer.
- Visceral Games continues to tease a new Star Wars game.
- Watch a new clip from Star Wars Rebels season 2.
- See a variant cover for the comic Star Wars: Shattered Empire #1.
- Watch a conversation with Frank Oz from Disney’s Star Wars Weekends.
- Gawker Media offers to buy the script for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Mark Hamill‘s role in Star Wars: The Force Awakens is questioned.
- What Force Awakens ship could also appear in Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One?
- How does Finn fit in between the Resistance and First Order?
Read More »
Jurassic World, a third sequel to the 22-year old modern classic Jurassic Park, opened in theaters this past weekend. We’ve had plenty of coverage on the blockbuster sequel, including reviews from both Peter Sciretta (who loved the movie) and Germain Lussier (who was fairly disparaging), and a new interview with director Colin Trevorrow.
Fans now seeing Jurassic World are undoubtedly noticing all the direct references to Jurassic Park, as well as easter eggs placed for discovery by longtime fans. Most of these are pretty obvious, while others may only be noticed by those who have seen the original film countless times. So we’ve listed all the Jurassic World easter eggs and references that can be spotted in the film.
Check out our list of Jurassic World easter eggs after the jump, but beware of major spoilers for the movie! Read More »
UPDATE – Entertainment Weekly has posted two more tracks from Michael Giacchino’s, John Williams-influenced, score to Jurassic World. Listen to them after the jump.
With Avengers and Tomorrowland now in theaters, most fans look to Colin Trevorrow for the summer’s next big blockbuster. That would be Jurassic World, opening June 12, starring Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard, among others.
One of the many, many things that made the Steven Spielberg original such a unmitigated classic was the iconic, amazing score by John Williams. Williams was unavailable this time around (working on a small little space movie) and the task of bringing music back to the park fell to the capable baton of Michael Giacchino. The Oscar-winning composer said he’d be using some of Williams’ themes along with his own new work and you can now hear a bit of what that sounds like. Two tracks from Giacchino’s Jurassic World score are online. Listen to them below. Read More »
The bits are flying all over the place in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following:
- John Knoll talks physics of the Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One teaser trailer.
- Read the first official interviews given by John Boyega and Daisy Ridley for The Force Awakens.
- Watch some more reaction videos to the latest Force Awakens trailer.
- See a visual breakdown of every musical moment in the Star Wars series.
- Kathleen Kennedy talks about secrecy surrounding The Force Awakens.
- Check out a supercut of every single character in the Star Wars saga.
- Mark Hamill released some personal photos from the set of Return of the Jedi.
- Did J.J. Abrams film some of The Force Awakens in the world’s third largest cave?
- Find out some answers to burning questions regarding Star Wars Battlefront.
- A spoiler filled scene from Star Wars: The Force Awakens is described.
Read More »