Legendary poster artist Drew Struzan has been involved with the Star Wars movies since the beginning of the saga. We included some of Struzan’s Star Wars one-sheets in our post about his exclusive D23 Expo 2015 poster for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and we’ve even done a breakdown over-analyzing the components and composition of the new one-sheet.
Now Struzan has done an interview about his latest poster, and explained how it came about while praising Force Awakens saying “it is far and away probably going to be THE BEST Star Wars you’ve ever seen.” Read more Drew Struzan Force Awakens opinions, after the jump.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits we will take a look at:
- A sneak preview of the possible opening crawl for Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- JJ Abrams remembers the first time he saw Star Wars.
- Disneyland is casting for performers for Star Wars Launch Bay opening in October or November 2015
- New Star Wars credit cards that will give cardholders exclusive access to Star Wars meet-and-greets in Disney theme parks.
- See two new Star Wars comic book variant covers.
- Japan All Nippon Airways reveals a new plane which will be themed like BB-8 from The Force Awakens.
- The Star Wars: Uprising mobile game will have promotions at PAX Prime.
- Set photos from Star Wars: Rogue One at Cardington, which could be another recreation of an Original Trilogy location.
- Disney Interactive’s announcements from D23 Expo, including Force Awakens Disney Infinity figures and a look at the Battle of Jakku DLC level in Star Wars Battlefront which serves as a Force Awakens prequel.
- Another possible Star Wars Land location for the Disneyland version.
- And the header image is one of the illustrations created by Isaiah Stephens for Zimbio featuring Disney princesses and Star Wars mixed together
All that and more in today’s Star Wars Bits. Hit the jump to get to it.
Read More »
At D23 Expo 2015 over the weekend, JJ Abrams and his cast dropped an exclusive Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster created by legendary poster artist Drew Struzan. In the insane atmosphere of the convention, we really didn’t have time to take it all in. So now that the Disney fan convention is over, I wanted to point out some things I noticed about the poster. There isn’t any mind-blowing observations, only speculative questions. Hit the jump to take a closer look at the Drew Struzan Force Awakens poster and see what we can find.
Read More »
There was a ton of Star Wars news coming out of D23 Expo 2015, and if you missed any of that from the Star Wars Anthology films getting new branding, to the Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster by artist Drew Struzen, to the first photo and cast from Star Wars: Rogue One, to the director of Star Wars Episode 9, to Star Wars Lands announced for Disney theme parks, head over to our D23 2015 news roundup. But there is a lot of Star Wars tidbits we missed over the last few days, so lets dive in. Here is what to expect in today’s Star Wars Bits:
- Tom Baker, the fourth Doctor Who, has been cast in a Star Wars project, but which one?
- George Lucas blames a Walt Disney creation for Jar Jar Binks.
- According to JJ Abrams, who is the Ralph McQuarrie of Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
- Which monumental Star Wars set has been recreated for Star Wars: Rogue One? (actually, not much of a spoiler)
- Ralph McQuarrie‘s Influence on Star Wars Land
- Why Star Wars: Battlefront won’t have a single player campaign mode.
- Is Drew Struzan‘s Force Awakens D23 Expo poster the film’s official poster? Will there be another?
All that and more in today’s edition of Star Wars Bits. Hit the jump now.
Read More »
What happened when Harrison Ford injured himself on the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Find out why director JJ Abrams says that broken leg was in some weird way the “greatest gift to the movie”.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
This morning I came across a well-edited video essay titled Star Wars – The Force of Abrams by Dan Fox (aka Hello Film Guy). The video is essentially an examination of filmmaker JJ Abrams‘ visual storytelling skills, theorizing how his methods might affect Star Wars: The Force Awakens. How will the JJ Abrams visual style affect the next installment of the Star Wars series? Find out after the jump.
Note: The video essay focuses only on visual style and doesn’t delve into the reoccurring plot devices or story beats of Abrams work. So you can feel free to watch this if you’re trying to avoid spoilers or speculation about the plot of The Force Awakens. That said, the video does use clips from the two released trailers.
Read More »
May the Fourth is always a special time for Star Wars fans, but the holiday was made even more exciting this year by a deluge of new information and photos from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Vanity Fair kicked off the fun Sunday evening with their new Star Wars: The Force Awakens cover, and then kept the party going with stills, behind-the-scenes photos, character reveals, and more. After the jump, let’s review the top 9 things we learned about Star Wars: The Force Awakens this Star Wars Day. Read More »
This is the first Star Wars Day in ten years where we actually have a new Star Wars movie to look forward to. (Or more than that, if you want to argue that Revenge of the Sith wasn’t something to look forward to. Zing!) So far, the holiday hasn’t disappointed. We’ve seen a gorgeous new Vanity Fair cover and a behind-the-scenes video, and now we have a bunch of exciting Star Wars The Force Awakens images to share as well.
The new batch of photos features Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron, and Lupita Nyong’o in mo-cap gear as Maz Kanata, along with the assorted creatures that populate the Star Wars galaxy. Click through to check ’em out, and to find out what else we’ve learned about the new Star Wars movie.
Read More »
The most impressive thing at The Force Awakens panel at Star Wars Celebration today was clearly the film’s new teaser trailer. (Watch it here; see a photo breakdown here.) But the next best thing was a demo I don’t think anyone saw coming. The first Force Awakens teaser featured a shot of the rolling droid BB-8, which most everyone assumed to be a CG creation. Surprise! The BB-8 effects are actually practical, as we learned today when the droid rolled onto the Celebration stage. (Mark Hamill had said as much in December, but even then there was the assumption that some of the droid was CG.)
Making things better, that appearance on stage gave us a chance hear a lot more from the droid, and get a sense of the character’s personality. That’s something that both teasers have only hinted at. Check out the BB-8 effects below. Read More »