Briefly: Test screening reports sent in by a few readers say that Paramount is rolling out a trailer for the new Jack Ryan film to test audiences, and that it bears the title Jack Ryan: Shadow One.
The film, directed by Kenneth Branagh, who also plays the villain, is set for release this Christmas. Chris Pine stars and Kevin Costner also appears in a story that goes back to the roots of the Jack Ryan character, who first hit movie screens in The Hunt for Red October. Three actors have played the character in four previous films, but according to one report,
Pine takes the character to its beginning, where the injured Marine is recruited by CIA vet Kevin Costner to work as a high-level analyst. The two are pitted against a Russian oligarch (played by Branagh) who is pulling the strings of the financial market and delving into international terrorism with potential global catastrophic results.
Watch for the trailer soon.
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Thursday, March 28th, 2013 by Angie Han
That third Atlas Shrugged you didn’t ask for is on the way. Also after the jump:
- Who wants to be an extra in Captain America?
- Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks up Red 2 and Jack Ryan
- Here’s what Al Pacino will look like in Despicable Me 2
- Check out another new Star Trek Into Darkness image
- Kick-Ass 2 reveals some kick-ass character posters
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation gets an action-packed featurette
Read More »
Paramount is banking on the potential of a square-jawed action hero to save Christmas once again, but this time it won’t be Tom Cruise in the suit. The last two Christmasese have seen the studio release Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol to great effect, and Jack Reacher to lesser effect. And on Christmas Day 2013, Paramount will put Jack Ryan in theaters, and in so doing revive the Tom Clancy character that has been dormant since The Sum of All Fears in 2002.
Chris Pine is the latest actor to play Ryan, this time under the direction of Kenneth Branagh, who also plays the villain. And Kevin Costner is on hand to provide a little support. Two new images of the good guys have been released. That’s the new shot of Pine, above, and the two-shot with Costner is below. Read More »
On October 25th 2012 I found myself sitting in The White Horse pub watching a monitor showing Chris Pine run through the misty rain into a financial building. While the sequence in Jack Ryan is supposed to take place in the brand-new financial center in Moscow, Russia (a clue to the film’s antagonist) it was being filmed in Liverpool, England.
Producers have been trying to restart the franchise, based on the character novelist Tom Clancy created in books like The Hunt For Red October and Patriot Games, for nine years. Taking a cue from the recent James Bond films, Jack Ryan is an origin story — a pre-boot set in the now. 9/11 has taken place, and is a huge motivator for our hero. The following is the beginning of what I learned about the film from co-star Kevin Costner and director Kenneth Branagh, fresh from Thor.
Read More »
Posted on Friday, November 16th, 2012 by Angie Han
As you head into the weekend, we’ve got a few last sequel-related tidbits to chew on. After the jump:
- Warner Bros. limited The Hobbit‘s 48 fps rollout to “do it right”
- The Hobbit‘s Dori pledges himself to England’s Prince Charles
- Will Breaking Dawn Parts I and II be re-released as one movie?
- Paramount is pushing for Transformers 4 to be set in China
- Keira Knightley says Jack Ryan wraps shooting in December
- Chris Pine has vague comments about Star Trek Into Darkness
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, October 24th, 2012 by Angie Han
A few sequel-related odds and ends for the afternoon. After the jump:
- David Paymer lands a role as a diplomat in Jack Ryan
- Katt Williams is the latest to sign up for Scary Movie 5
- Sam Mendes probably won’t direct more Bond movies
- Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning goes red-band
Read More »
We’ve got a lot of new images today, and the first two are new looks at characters in Paramount’s pair of upcoming Jack movies — Jack Ryan and Jack Reacher. (Which tough guy will blink and allow a title change first?) Both images show new looks at supporting characters, but in the case of Jack Ryan, the focus is also on the director, and in the case of Jack Reacher, there’s a look at Reacher’s ultimate creator, too.
Plus, there are shots from To the Wonder, Broken City, Grand Piano, and The American Scream, all after the break. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Casting, rumors, hopes, desires and much more are in this huge holiday edition of Sequel Bits. After the jump read about the following:
- Producer Jon Landau clarifies the possibility of Avatar 4 and offers an update on 2 and 3.
- See Chris Pine on the set of Jack Ryan with Kevin Costner and read some thoughts on the tone of Star Trek 2.
- Is the Iron Patriot going to be in Iron Man 3 after all?
- Also, Wang Xueqi joins the Shane Black directed sequel in an intriguing role.
- Screenwriter Alex Garland laid out some thoughts for a possible Dredd 3D sequel.
- Grown Ups 2 built a set for an outdoor, night time go-kart scene to film indoors and during the day.
- Director Jeff Wadlow hints that Jim Carrey has, in fact, been cast in Kick-Ass 2.
- Rick Jaffa, a writer/producer of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, confirms a big franchise staple won’t be in the sequel.
Read More »