I still haven’t gotten into Disney’s popular collectible toy video game platform Disney Infinity, despite the fact I own four Disney Infinity figures (hey, they just look cool). Disney is gearing up to launch the third version of the game platform which will include Star Wars, Inside Out and more, and now we are hearing the future could feature another George Lucas property.
No, not Indiana Jones (not yet at least, although a Indy-focused Disney Infinity set is bound to happen eventually), but instead the George Lucas-produced Francis Ford Coppola-directed Disneyland 3D short film Captain EO which starred Michael Jackson and Anjelica Huston. But will Disney actually release Captain EO Disney Infinity content? Find out the details after the jump.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
So you’ve probably heard by now, Jurassic World beat The Avengers U.S. box office opening record. Colin Trevorrow’s Jurassic Park sequel grossed $208,806,270 in the opening weekend, just enough to overtake Joss Whedon’s The Avengers‘ $207.4 million record from 2012. Marvel Studios has published an image online to congratulate the “new box office king.” Check it out, after the jump.
Read More »
2015 marks the 40th anniversary of Industrial Light and Magic, the most revered special effects company in the world. It was famously created by George Lucas in 1975 to help make his movie, Star Wars, and has since gone on to basically create almost every single big special effects movie or moment you can remember or imagine. (With a few exceptions.)
Below, you can see a jaw-dropping, one-minute montage of their 40 year history, up to and including Star Wars: The Force Awakens later this year. Check out the ILM 40th anniversary video below. Read More »
More Star Wars Bits! This one even goes back to the prequels, and you can read about all these items below:
- Damon Lindelof would like to write a Lobot movie.
- George Lucas was scared of the Yoda/Dooku fight in Attack of the Clones.
- Disneyland has a Han Solo in Carbonite lunch combo.
- Read Vanity Fair interviews with Kathleen Kennedy, John Williams, Pablo Hidalgo and more.
- Did you see Craig Drake‘s new Star Wars posters?
- Why did Dice decide to reboot Star Wars Battlefront instead of sequelize it?
- Check out a four page preview of Kanan: The Last Padawan #3.
- There might be a big New Hope easter egg in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Learn about a connection between Rey and Han Solo in The Force Awakens.
Read More »
Earlier this week, we featured a little infographic counting down the biggest movie sets in the history of cinema. This look into the practical sets from decades past shows both how impressive and large some physical sets used to be, and also just how few giant film sets are built today, in favor of digital effects. But even the world of special effects wasn’t so technologically advanced. And much like extensive practical set building, the use of less-sophisticated but still impressive special effects is something that seems to be missing from today’s movies.
So if you need to escape the present day for awhile, check out this vintage one-hour NOVA special that takes a look at the magic of special effects in the 80s, focusing on films such as Return of the Jedi and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Watch the NOVA segment on special effects below! Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is inspired by George Lucas‘ creations, but it is not itself a George Lucas creation. Lucas has stressed that he has “no idea what they’re doing,” and expressed his eagerness to “enjoy it like anybody else.”
But there was a time before the Lucasfilm sale when Lucas was developing his own Episode VII, going as far as to approach Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, and Mark Hamill about reprising their roles. Now a new report sheds some light on what the George Lucas Episode VII would have been — and why it didn’t go forward at Disney. Get the juicy details after the jump. Read More »
We’ve got more Star Wars Celebration round-up items, as well as some cool Force Awakens info, in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read the following:
- Force Awakens star John Boyega is back on Twitter, and walked around Celebration in disguise.
- Disney is recreating the Millennium Falcon cockpit on their cruise ship.
- George Lucas says Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a “different” kind of story.
- Marvel announced two new Star Wars comic books.
- A new Del Ray book has been revealed: Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company.
- Author Alan Dean Foster will write The Force Awakens novelization.
- Watch a Lego version of the Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One trailer.
- Listen to Peter on a podcast about Star Wars Celebration.
- See where the X-Wing sequences in the Force Awakens trailer were filmed.
- Ben Mendelsohn tiptoes around his potential Rogue One casting.
- Want to see a Gonk Droid in Star Wars: The Force Awakens?
- J.J. Abrams takes the Twizzler Challenge.
- Star Wars Celebration 2016 will be in London from July 15-17, 2016.
Read More »
With his fondness for plaid and flannel, George Lucas projects a pretty laid-back image, but he’s not exactly known for his outrageous sense of humor. If we were going to cast a Daily Show spot making fun of Fox News, Lucas wouldn’t be among the first people chosen for the gig. Maybe that’s why his appearance on exactly such a sketch is pretty funny. That he’s having fun with his own creation (Star Wars, of course, along with American Graffiti) is part of the fun. Watch the George Lucas Daily Show segment below. Read More »
Lots of good stuff spanning the galaxy in this edition of Star Wars Bits. Below, read about:
- George Lucas was spotted in a NYC comic book shop buying Marvel’s new Star Wars comics.
- A synopsis for the Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel Star Wars: Aftermath is now online.
- John Williams will reportedly record The Force Awakens score this summer.
- One Force Awakens crew member is auctioning off authentic merchandise for a great cause.
- The identity of Sarah Michelle Gellar‘s Star Wars Rebels character may have been revealed if rumors are true.
- See a preview of Kanan: The Last Padawan #1 by Marvel.
- Cost and details on Star Wars Celebration autographs are now available.
- What exactly happens in the big Star Wars: The Force Awakens IMAX sequence?
Read More »