Posted on Thursday, October 27th, 2016 by Angie Han
Iron Man may be Robert Downey Jr.‘s most famous role, but you may recall that it’s not his only ongoing franchise about an arrogant genius. He’s also the star of Warner Bros.’ Sherlock Holmes movies — not to be confused with BBC One’s Sherlock TV series, which features a different Marvel actor as the famed detective.
The Sherlock Holmes franchise was put on hold for a bit while Downey was busy with Marvel, but now Sherlock Holmes 3 is moving forward again with an entire writers’ room at its disposal. Gary Whitta (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story), Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy), Justin Malen (Baywatch), and Kieran Fitzgerald (Snowden) are all on board to help write the next (but probably not last) installment of the series. Read More »
The third season premiere of Star Wars Rebels will air over the weekend. As you probably know, fans went crazy when it was revealed that Grand Admiral Thrawn had been resurrected from Legends and has rejoined the Star Wars universe canon as the season’s big villain. The morning after the episode was screened at Star Wars Celebration Europe 2016 I was lucky to get a chance to sit down with Star Wars Rebels creator Dave Filoni and talk about the upcoming season.
We talk about a wide variety of topics, including where we are now in the Star Wars timeline, how Ezra has made so much progress since we last saw him, when we will finally get some X-Wings in the rebellion, his thoughts on The Force Awakens, if it’s possible to actually kill off a good guy or turn them to the dark side on a kid show, if Darth Vader or more Inquisitors will appear in Season 3 of Rebels, the idea of Force neutral characters, how Saw Gerrera ended up in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Wedge Antilles new canon backstory, if Rebels will end before A New Hope begins, the process of adapting Grand Admiral Thrawn back into canon, and much more. Some of these answers have been broken out into stories on the site already, but there is also a wealth of material never published before as well.
And don’t worry, the interview is season three spoiler free. Read our complete Dave Filoni Star Wars Rebels Season 3 interview, after the jump.
Read More »
A few months back it was revealed that Forest Whitaker‘s character in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is Saw Gerrera, the Onderon rebels leader who fought alongside Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series. In Rogue One the character has become “a battered veteran who leads a band of Rebel extremists” and wears an armored suit for flight and maintenance. So when I got a chance to talk with Star Wars Rebels and The Clone Wars showrunner Dave Filoni, I had to ask about how his creation ended up in the first Star Wars standalone movie.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, July 19th, 2016 by Angie Han
Matt Reeves is currently wrangling CG apes for War for the Planet of the Apes and Gary Whitta is just coming down from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, but they’re both thinking much, much smaller for their next project. Reeves and Whitta are teaming up for a Mouse Guard movie, based on David Petersen‘s Eisner-winning graphic novel. It’s billed as a “CG live-action” project — think Jon Favreau’s The Jungle Book. Read More »
The Force has Awakened, and we won’t find out what happens for another 600 or so days. But another Star Wars movie will be out later this year: Star Wars: Rogue One (or is it Rogue One: A Star Wars Story?) will hit theaters in December 2016, and we’re excited (Peter, Angie, Jacob, Jack and Ethan all listed the film in their most anticipated films of the year). But what do we know about Rogue One? I have compiled everything we know, have seen, and/or have heard rumored, and more, after the jump.
Read More »
Next fall we’ll see Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch get mystical in Marvel Studios’ Phase Three project Doctor Strange, but after that, he’s going to get magical with a true story out of World War II.
Cumberbatch, who was just recently seen as a controversially androgynous model in Zoolander 2, has been attached to star in The War Magician, a thriller about a world famous magician who used his sleight-of-hand tricks and stunts to help the Allied forces defeat the Nazis. That sounds like something a writer would make up, but it’s actually true. Read More »
I’ve outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you, I’m talking about the big Star Wars Bits now. Here’s the updates we have from a galaxy far, far away this time:
- Are three live-action Star Wars shows planned for Netflix?
- Bob Iger has already seen The Force Awakens…mostly.
- Simon Pegg talks his experience on The Force Awakens set.
- Game of Thrones actors in The Force Awakens confirmed?
- New LEGO Star Wars photography book coming in November.
- Gary Whitta talks Star Wars: Rogue One writing process.
- J.J. Abrams on pressure of directing The Force Awakens.
Read More »
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next the power of Star Wars Bits. This week’s news from a galaxy far, far away includes the following:
- Details on The Battle of Jakku and more post-Return of the Jedi info
- Harrison Ford gives advice to new co-stars, uses lightsaber as a cane
- New info on Han Solo and Chewie in The Force Awakens
- BB-8 on the cover of Make magazine
- Comic-Con interviews with J.J. Abrams and cast
- George Lucas to be honored at D23
- Science Channel ILM documentary special teaser clip
- Kevin Smith got screwed by Star Wars at Comic-Con
- Production designer talks mandate for authenticity in Episode VII
- Amy Schumer‘s saucy Star Wars photoshoot for GQ
- New details on Star Wars Battlefront gameplay
- Gary Whitta on Star Wars and the Comic-Con experience
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
One of the highlights at Comic Con this year was a behind the scenes reel for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. When this was released over the weekend, I tried to pull together a piece dissecting the reel image by image, but the madness that is Comic Con prevented me from finishing it until now.
What follows is a breakdown of 13 things we learned from this footage, this includes confirmation of new and old characters, our first look at some of the cast, some story and character details put together from the new images matched with previous rumors, and some questions. Hit the jump to read our list.
Read More »
Star Wars Bits is back and packed full of interesting stuff. Below, read about the following:
- Star Wars Anthology writer Gary Whitta is writing for Star Wars Rebels.
- Rian Johnson wrote Star Wars Episode VIII in Moleskine notebooks.
- See an image of the works in the Star Wars canon.
- A rumor surfaces about a post-credits scene in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- John Williams will record his Force Awakens score soon.
- Watch a video on the new Madame Tussauds’ Star Wars exhibit.
- For the the time in China, The Star Wars Saga will screen theatrically.
- The website “How BB-8 Works” explains the obvious question.
Read More »