Earlier this week most of us gave a collective groan when Shia LaBeouf mentioned that Steven Spielberg had cracked the story for a fifth Indiana Jones film. So how far off is it, really? Empire‘s headline today (“Indy 5 Is A Go!”) might lead you to think sooner rather than later, but that may not be the case. Producer Frank Marshall said things that Empire interpreted as meaning the film “could be approaching the pencil-chewing script development stage,” which means it isn’t anywhere close to happening. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 by Peter Sciretta
Over the last month, we’ve written quite a few times about the new Digital IMAX theatres and how we believe that the IMAX Corporation is ripping off moviegoers by placing the IMAX brand name on subpar sized cinema screens nationwide. Actor/comedian Aziz Ansari started the public fuss, Pulitzer Prize winning movie critic Roger Ebert publicly came out against the practice, yet IMAX ignorantly ignored the criticism, and insists that audiences are too stupid to notice the difference (obviously, they didn’t phrase it that way, I’m just giving you my interpertation — read the linked article for exact quotes). Now big Hollywood players are beginning to step up and take a stance on the issue.
Producer Frank Marshall agrees that IMAX Digital is false advertising. For those who might not recognize the name, Marshall has produced over 80 films over the last 30 years, including the Indiana Jones series, Poltergeist, Gremlins, Goonies, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Sixth Sense, The Bourne films, Signs, Seabicuit, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and more. basically, he’s one of the biggest producers in Hollywood. So what did Marshall say about IMAX?
Read More »
When I first heard that Legendary Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki would be making a very rare trip to North America, to my neck of the woods – the bay area, to appear, accept a prize, premiere his new film and participate in a Q & A on July 25th, I screamed out loud. It wasn’t a scream of joy, like it should have been… it was a scream of annoyance. As CartoonBrew put it, Miyazaki “so rarely travels to the US, and even less so to make public appearances.” And July 25th is the same weekend I’ll be traveling down to San Diego for Comic Con. In the days that followed, something occurred to me — why would Miyazaki be making an around the world trip just to appear at Berkeley?
According to the Risky Business blog, producer Frank Marhsall has teamed screenwriter Gary Ross with the long-gestating Lance Armstrong biopic. “We knew Gary well from is work on Seabiscuit and thought he’d be perfect for this”, said Marshall. Yeah, you know – a man and a horse and a man and a bike. I’m pretty chuffed with this news because, as I’m sure I would have told you before, I’m a big fan of Ross. Can’t say I know too much about sporty cycling, though.
The film is to be based upon a 2000 biography, It’s Not About the Bike which Armstrong and his co-writer Sally Jenkins jammed full of his life’s many interesting stories. Both Matt Damon and Jake Gyllenhaal have reportedly been attached as stars for the lead role, though there’s no current casting announced. Rather curiously, though, it seems that some filming for the film took place rather a long time ago…
Posted on Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 by Peter Sciretta
Producer Frank Marshall has confirmed that the teaser trailer M Night Shyamalan‘s The Last Airbender, the big screen live action adaptation of Avatar, will be attached to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, which hits theaters on June 24th 2009. ‘m sure the final trailer for G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra will also be attached, especially considering the the movie is also a Paramount release. It is possible that another high profile trailer might also be attached, although I haven’t heard any rumblings yet.
Last we heard, Universal was trying to get a fourth film in the Jason Bourne series on track for a Summer 2010 release. Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass were signed on to return, all they needed was a screenplay and a shooting schedule that fit. But the tentatively discussed Summer 2009 shoot doesn’t seem to be on the horizon.
Producer Frank Marshall updates us on the status via Twitter saying that Bourne Ultimatum/Ocean’s Twelve scribe George Nolfi “should have a draft by June” 2009 and that the film “is in the works for Summer 2011.” This of course would mean that the film would need to go into production by Summer 2010, October at very latest. “It really take long to get these scripts right! :),” admits Marshall. Marshall has previously stated that he would like to see Bourne go to South America in his next adventure, which will be the first movie not based on a Robert Ludlum novel.
So what’s the latest on the fourth film in the Jason Bourne series? Last we heard, producer Frank Marshall was hoping to begin shooting next Summer for a 2010 release. Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon have already signed on, all they need now is a script. Today it was announced that Universal is serious about doing a fourth film, hiring George Nolfi to write the script. Not only was Nolfi a co-writer on Bourne Ultimatum, but he also wrote Ocean’s Twelve.
The next film in the series will not even be loosely based on one of the novels, but will instead be an entirely new adventure (with a possible South American destination). From what I understand, the sequels to the original Robert Ludlum novels left much to be desired. Lets hope that Nolfi can come up with something better.
Producer Frank Marshall revealed to IESB plans to begin shooting a fourth Jason Bourne movie next Summer, for release in 2010. Universal announced the project back in February, with director Paul Greengrass and star Matt Damon set to return. Marshall also confirmed that they will probably be creating an original story for the fourth film, since author/creator Robert Ludlum wasn’t involved in the later books in the series.
“There was a fourth book written, but it was not by Mr. Ludlum. So we’re probably going to take our own direction and we’re working on what that storyline’s gonna be right now.”
And where will this new adventure bring us? Marshall is predicting that Bourne will journey to “South America.” Watch the full interview on IESB.
Posted on Saturday, March 29th, 2008 by Hunter Stephenson
A new TV spot is now online for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and it’s moderately superior to last month’s clunky teaser trailer. The “genius” line between Harrison Ford and a stiff-haired Shia LaBeouf has the kind of smart ass pop that the classic adventure franchise warrants. Also, notice that the scene most snarked at by fanboys in the original trailer, where Indiana Jones fell ass-first into the windshield of a moving vehicle and awkwardly punched out a goon, has been replaced, wisely, by a Steven Spielberg credit. Otherwise, nothing much new here.
[flv:http://media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/trailers/indy4vspot.flv 470 200]
Not sure why the theme music dozes off right when it should go for it; and the spot’s pacing is still off for this kind of mega-anticipated event film from three Hollywood titans. In my opinion, Crystal Skull doesn’t yet feel like a sure thing, no Dark Knight goosebumps or Iron Man ahh’s, but it’s getting there slowly but surely.
Discuss: Even though it’s a TV spot, is this better than February’s teaser trailer? In your estimation, where is Indy stacking up against the other summer films as we get closer to the kickoff?
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull hits theaters on May 22nd, 2008.