Posted on Friday, July 18th, 2014 by Angie Han
As soon as it was revealed that Edgar Wright was leaving Ant-Man, word began to spread that his take had been too out there for Marvel Studios. There were reports of script rewrites and nervous execs, and it wasn’t tough to imagine Wright’s idiosyncratic style clashing with Marvel’s controlled vision.
But that wasn’t really the case, according to Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige. “It would have to be really out there to be too out there for us,” he insisted. Instead, he blames personality issues and an out-of-sync vision for the split. Hit the jump to read his comments.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Lots has happened at Marvel Studios since the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Plenty of news has leaked about Avengers: Age of Ultron and we’ve seen more and more about Guardians of the Galaxy. But the two biggest pieces of news were Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man and Scott Derrickson boarding Doctor Strange. Unfortunately, since the studio is between films, we haven’t heard what the president of the studio, Kevin Feige, had to say about any of it. Until now.
Feige was at CineEurope earlier this week and finally addressed the Edgar Wright Ant-Man controversy (Peyton Reed is now directing), the hiring of Derrickson, production on Doctor Strange, and said they have some ideas for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Read Feige’s quotes below. Read More »
A week has passed since the upsetting bombshell news that Edgar Wright had left Marvel’s Ant-Man. In that time, speculation and fact have blurred as fans tried to figure out how one of the most successful companies in Hollywood could suddenly go in a different direction from the talented, exciting director who had been working on the film for years.
Eventually, the discussion turned to Wright’s replacement. Though rumors and speculation have also been flying all week, it seems three men are at the top of Marvel’s list. They are Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer. Read more about the potential Ant Man directors below.
Update: The Wrap claims that Rawson Thurber is now the first choice to direct Ant-Man. The site has no confirmation, and Marvel isn’t commenting, so we’ll have to wait for more official info.
Update 2, June 3: Days after the drama that saw Adam McKay go into talks and then abruptly back out, there’s a report that Rawson Thurber has also passed on the movie. So out of the original shortlist of three replacement directors for Edgar Wright is down to one, Ruben Fleischer, and Ant-Man has become the movie no one seems to want to touch.
The original story follows.
Read More »
Posted on Thursday, May 29th, 2014 by Angie Han
Ant-Man had a director locked in since before the Marvel Cinematic Universe was even a thing. But now that said director (Edgar Wright) has gone, speculation is running rampant about who might take over at the helm.
Today, the rumor mill has its sights on Guardians of the Galaxy helmer James Gunn. Not surprisingly, Gunn quickly downplayed the rumors. Get all the latest dirt after the jump.
Read More »
Last week, Edgar Wright suddenly departed from Marvel Studio’s big screen adaptation of Ant-Man, with an official statement citing “differences in their vision of the film” as reasons for the “amicable” split. Marvel Studios says they still plan to have Ant-Man in theaters for the announced July 17th 2015 release date, and Marvel has already begun a search for a new director. The movie will have to begin filming this Summer to make that date, so an announcement will likely come soon. So who should replace Edgar Wright to direct Ant-Man? I explore this question in the article below.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 by Angie Han
When Marvel announced Edgar Wright‘s departure from Ant-Man last weekend, they made a point of emphasizing that the long-gestating superhero adventure would not budge from its July 17, 2015 release date.
But as much as Marvel would like for that to happen — and as much as Marvel would like fans to believe that it will happen — that summer 2015 bow is looking less and less realistic as more details emerge about the split.
Read More »
Who doesn’t love a good video essay, especially when it’s timely and eye-opening? Enter Tony Zhou, who ade an 8-minute video called “Edgar Wright – How To Do Visual Comedy.” The thesis here is basically that most mainstream comedy is directed in a very lazy way. There are close-ups of people talking, recognizable landmarks, pop music playing, and other such staple elements. For his own films, on the other hand, Wright comes up with fun, innovative ways to portray scenes other movies would do simply. This energy and pizazz naturally creatures humor in the filmmaking, instead of just relying on a screenplay.
This thesis is especially interesting considering the rumors of Wright’s departure from Ant-Man over creative differences. Did Marvel and Disney not trust Wright would make Ant-Man everything they wanted it to be? Check out the video Edgar Wright comedy below. Read More »
With Edgar Wright no longer directing Ant-Man, the question becomes, “what’s next?” The Cornetto Trilogy is done, so Wright has a few options. One big one is an adaptation of the TV show, The Night Stalker, starring Johnny Depp. Wright was attached to the property a few years back but it seemed incredibly far away at the time, with both The World’s End and Ant-Man ahead of it in the queue. With one completed and the other gone, Deadline reports Wright could go back to work on the Disney adaptation which follows a tabloid crime reporter whose investigations edge into the supernatural. Read More »
We interrupt your Memorial Day weekend for a potential update on Friday’s biggest story.
Late Friday afternoon Marvel announced director Edgar Wright left Ant-Man, a film he’d been attached to since 2006, “due to differences in their vision of the film.” The statement said “The decision to move on is amicable and does not impact the release date on July 17, 2015. A new director will be announced shortly.”
That made the reason for Wright’s departure seem benign. However a new, unconfirmed report goes against that. Latino Review reports the reason Wright left the project is Marvel hired two writers to “homogenize” his and Joe Cornish’s script and the result was so unlike the film they wanted to make, he left. Is this true? Well, Joss Whedon and Simon Pegg might have some clues. Read much more below. Read More »