Posted on Wednesday, March 27th, 2013 by Angie Han
Harrison Ford doesn’t “even want to discuss” Star Wars, but plenty of other people do. Also after the jump:
- Fans petition the White House for National R2-D2 Day
- A Lucasfilm exec blogs about animation layoffs
- Carrie Fisher will be at Star Wars Celebration
- Ian McDiarmid wants to return as Palpatine
- The Rock is “very excited” for Episode VII
- Diane Kruger would also love to do Star Wars
- Darth Vader attacks Tokyo (Disneyland)
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
The people who run Disney Parks want to know your feelings on Star Wars. A survey is going around to select Annual Pass holders and other Disney fanatics that asks the question “How interested would you be in visiting a Star Wars themed land at the Disneyland Resort?” Obviously that doesn’t mean you should book your travel just yet, but it confirms Disney is thinking about taking its new $4 billion toy out for a ride. We, unfortunately, don’t have a link to the survey itself , but we’ve got some screencaps for you to check out.
Plus, Universal Studios Hollywood will soon be offering an upgrade to their famous studio lot tram tour. The upgrade will be a VIP Experience giving attendees unpredicented access to arguably the most famous backlot in Hollywood. Read more about both of these below. Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 by Angie Han
If you don’t have plans for the next couple of summers yet, you may be tempted to take some theme park trips after you read this post. After the jump:
- Disneyland Paris will get a Ratatouille attraction in 2014
- Check out the first model image from Shanghai Disneyland
- Disney’s Imagineers will be the subject of a new documentary
- Universal Florida‘s Transformers ride prepares for its launch
- Despicable Me Minion Mayhem opens in Hollywood next year
- Stephen Chow is making a Journey to the West-themed park
Read More »
The Marvel invasion of Disney Parks has begun, but it won’t happen on this continent. No, the first Disney-owned property to get a full-fledged Marvel themed world will be Hong Kong Disneyland. There’s no timeline on when it’ll happen or how extensive it’ll be, but the news was revealed Tuesday in a conference call discussing the park’s 2013-2014 budget. That suggests construction will happen this year or next. Read more below. Read More »
There’s a lot of movie-themed news and speculation going on in the theme park world and we’ve got it all in one place. In this edition of Theme Park Bits, read about the following:
- Is Disney planning a full Star Wars land at California Adventure?
- The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Ride is getting its own TV series
- The Lord of the Rings term “Middle Earth” has been trademarked for use in an amusement park.
- An Incredibles ride could be in the works
- Development on Avatar Land is reportedly not going well.
- The Marvel-themed Stark Expo has been stalled.
- Imagineering legend Tony Baxter is leaving Disney.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Did you hear? Disney bought LucasFilm and there’s a new Star Wars movie coming out. Yup, it’s been pretty big week on the geek front with innumerable questions, some answers and rabid speculation. However, with the movie news dominating the headlines, the theme park ramifications have been largely overlooked, specifically the fact that the blueprints for a full on Star Wars park have been available for two years.
I don’t mean just one ride either. Disney already has Star Tours and Indiana Jones. And not a full land like Harry Potter or Cars. I mean, a full on, multi-land theme park dedicated entirely to Star Wars. It’s possible, as you’re about to see.
Officially, there aren’t any plans outside of non-committal theme park expansion quotes but two years ago, way before Disney even began talking to LucasFilm, an artist named Tom Hodges did a little mockup of what Disneyland might look like if it was taken over by Star Wars. Check out the full art below. Read More »
Earlier today, Peter posted on Twitter that rumors had been circulating about the Disney acquisition of LucasFilm for about a year. Something of this magnitude obviously takes time. But it seems like both sides were confident it would happen, as they took the time to film a new commerical for Disneyland asking the question, “Darth Vader, now that you’re part of the Disney family, what will you do next?” And in a very “Super Bowl Champion” kind of way, I bet you can guess the answer.
EDIT: My mistake. This is just a repurpose of a previously released commercial. It’s still pretty relevant though, considering recent events.
Read More »
I’m a huge Disneyland fanatic, with the top of the line Premier Annual Pass to prove it. I’ve always loved hearing the behind the scenes stories about the famous attractions in Walt Disney‘s incredible creation. We’ve all seen the video footage of Disneyland’s Space Mountain with the lights on. I’ve seen dozens of behind the scenes photos from the Anaheim-based theme park over the years, but I’ve never seen a collection like this one.
A Disney castmemeber recently posted a collection of 82 photos, which appear to have been taken sometime in the 1980’s/1990’s. The collection of photos give an unprecedented look behind the curtain of popular attractions like the Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise and much more.
Have you ever wondered what the ride operation equipment looks like?
Have you ever wanted to see what the animatronics look like from behind the scenes?
Have you ever wondered what Jungle Cruise would look like without the water?
Have you ever wanted to see what the Haunted Mansion looks like with the lights on?
Have you ever wondered what the view looks like from on the very top of Matterhorn?
Its all here. You also get some photos of cast-member hijinks, a view of the animatronic repair shop, and much much more.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 by Angie Han
Forget Disney princesses and boy wizards — the most intriguing theme park plans right now all have to do with costumed heroes. After the jump:
- The Justice League is heading to Australia in the form of a theme-park ride
- Walt Disney Imagineers are brainstorming a Marvel theme park for Anaheim…
- … while Dubai’s IMG Group breaks ground on its Marvel Adventure park
Read More »