After Disney purchased Lucasfilm, it was announced that the Star Wars expanded universe would no longer be considered official canon. Relabeled “Legends,” these stories would continue to exist in print and other mediums for future generations to enjoy. It was later clarified that places, characters, elements and stories from Legends could be adapted for future Star Wars canon if creators chose to incorporate them in this new wholly connected Star Wars universe.
The Star Wars Rebels season 2 finale included the now infamous line “there’s always some truth in Legends,” a tease of things to come. We’ve seen this already in the Star Wars novels, and now the animated television series Star Wars Rebels is brining back a big character from the expanded universe. Find out who and how Grand Admiral Thrawn will fit into Star Wars Rebels season 3 after the jump.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, April 13th, 2016 by Jacob Hall
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits:
- Our own Peter Sciretta stops by the Collider Jedi Council.
- Ahsoka Tano is getting a novel to explain where she went for thirty years.
- Star Wars Rebels executive producer Dave Filoni answers some burning questions.
- Sabine Wren will have more to do in Star Wars Rebels season three.
- Read an excerpt from Star Wars: Aftermath – Life Debt.
- Walt Disney World teases its new Star Wars-themed half marathon.
- A look at the industry of creating cool lightsaber props for fans.
- And more!
Read More »
Now that you’ve seen the Star Wars Rebels season two finale “Twilight of the Apprentice”, you’re probably wondering what the heck happened. I was at the premiere of the finale and Star Wars Rebels executive producers Dave Filoni and Simon Kinberg were on hand to answer questions after the screening. Hit the jump to find out what they said regarding the epic ending and your other Star Wars Rebels season 2 finale questions.
Obviously, spoilers for the season 2 finale of Star Wars Rebels follow.
Read More »
Earlier today we told you how a character created for the Star Wars animated series may have already appeared in one of the original trilogy films. Well, that’s not the only bit of Star Wars canon retcon we have for you today. Did you know that we already saw The Grand Inquisitor during The Clone Wars?
During the first season of Star Wars Rebels, the Grand Inquisitor was tasked by Darth Vader with taking out the possible Jedi in our hero’s rebel faction. We never got to find out the backstory of the Grand Inquisitor, but his appearance in an episode of Star Wars Rebels season two got some fans wondering about his origins. And as it turns out, show runner Dave Filoni confirms that we’ve seen the Grand Inquisitor before. Learn the details of The Grand Inquisitor’s backstory after the jump.
Read More »
When Disney bought Lucasfilm and unified Star Wars canon across all storytelling mediums, it created the possibility of characters introduced in the books, televisions shows and video games crossing over into the live-action big screen movies. And Star Wars Rebels producers Simon Kinberg and Dave Filoni have both expressed interest in that possibility in previous interviews. But it turns out that one of the characters created for the Star Wars animated series might have already appeared in a live-action Star Wars film. Filoni talked about the possibility at the world premiere of the Star Wars Rebels season two finale (no spoilers for that episode, I promise). Learn the details after the jump.
Read More »
Before the weekend, a new trailer for the midseason return of Star Wars Rebels teased some pretty big moments on the way for the crew of the Ghost, including a surprising connection to a certain villain’s unique lightsaber in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Now showrunner Dave Filoni has opened up just a little bit about some of the big teases in that trailer, including what appears to be the return of another villain from the past other than Darth Vader.
Check out the Star Wars Rebels trailer breakdown after the jump! Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, January 13th, 2016 by Jacob Hall
Today’s edition of Star Wars Bits is jam-packed with galactic-sized goodness, so we don’t even time for a proper introduction. We don’t! Honest! We really just need to dive into the details as fast as possible and not waste time at the top here. Cool? Cool. Okay, here’s what you’ll find contained within:
- Princess Leia arrives on the next episode of Star Wars Rebels.
- John Boyega teases a dark future for Finn.
- J.J. Abrams has advice for the young Han Solo actor.
- A glimpse of a Rogue One: A Star Wars Story X-Wing.
- Jabba the Hutt may return in a future Star Wars movie.
- A Kickstarter-funded Star Wars documentary has found a distributor.
- Benicio del Toro chats about Star Wars: Episode 8 and his villainous role.
- A fascinating interview with the man who played Jar Jar Binks.
- Take a look at every type of lightsaber out there.
Read More »
It has been a long time since that last Star Wars Bits, but Force Friday week has resulted in a lot of front page stand alone Star Wars stories that I’m not sure that you mind. Here is what you can find in today’s edition of Star Wars Bits:
- JJ Abrams talks about subduing his inner fanboy to make Force Awakens.
- How John Boyega first met JJ Abrams.
- New Star Wars: The Force Awakens character promo posters revealed in the Topps’ Star Wars Card Trader app.
- A preview of Star Wars: Shattered Empire, the comic book series which will fill the gap between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens.
- Star Wars Rebels director Dave Filoni discusses season two.
- A new Star Wars Rebels season 2 clip.
- How the BB-8 Sphero robotic toy was created.
- The real Damerons go to Force Friday.
- Puppies Test The New Star Wars BB-8 Droid Toy
- Why Force Friday Was A Disaster For Many Star Wars Fans
- 80% Off Select Star Wars trade paperbacks and graphic novels this weekend.
- The header image: why aren’t the Han Solo In Carbonite Pop-Tarts a real thing?
All this and more, after the jump to hyperspace.
Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
I want to learn the ways of the Star Wars Bits and become a Jedi Knight like my father. Here’s what we have in today’s round up of news from a galaxy far, far away
- Release date for Star Wars Rebels Season One on Blu-Ray and DVD
- The Force Awakens novelization author talks adapting the movie
- Dave Filoni on Sabine’s new look in Star Wars Rebels
- You choose the next Star Wars Black Series figure!
- The Force Awakens promo banner appears with First Order Stormtrooper
- Rumors of The Force Awakens locations being reused for Episode VIII
- Lucasfilm clarifies chronology of The Clone Wars Legacy conent
- Star Wars Battlefront puts a focus on multiplayer gameplay
- Rumors on who Rey’s parents may or may not be
Read More »
The Star Wars Rebels season 2 premiere, The Siege of Lothal, will premiere on June 20. And you do not want to miss it. In an instant, the stakes on the Disney XD show are shot through the roof. However, when I spoke with the show’s executive producer Dave Filoni at Star Wars Celebration, I didn’t yet know that. We had just seen the epic season 2 trailer and I knew the notoriously cagey producer wasn’t going to spoil anything. So, instead, I looked ahead to season to and back to season 1. What did I want to know as a Star Wars fan after watching that amazing series and that awesome trailer?
In our interview, Filoni talks about the shadow Darth Vader will have over the upcoming season of the show. He talks about the weight of holding back secrets, Ezra’s lightsaber, as well as how the Rebellion will develop this season and the reintroduction of some iconic ships. Below, read our full season 2 Dave Filoni Star Wars Rebels interview from Star Wars Celebration. Read More »