The week has finally come, a new Star Wars film will hit movie theaters in just a few days. The world premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens takes place tonight in Hollywood, and the first reactions are probably coming shortly after that. I’m extremely fortunate to be attending the premiere tonight and am so excited. I will give you my reaction afterwards on twitter (non-spoiler of course, followed by more in-depth review on the site later in the week). Okay, lets take a look at the latest Star Wars: The Force Awakens news and tidbits:
- Steven Spielberg recommended that Disney hire J.J. Abrams for Force Awakens.
- Adam Driver’s response to the question of if Force Awakens will be better than the prequels.
- See new behind the scenes photos featuring Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.
- Find out how Jakku market merchant Bobbajo was created
- Learn more about Andy Serkis‘ character Supreme Leader Snoke
- How the Force Awakens world premiere in Hollywood is “bigger than the Oscars”
- Is Force Awakens about Star Wars fandom and is Kylo Ren just a huge Star Wars geek?
- J.J. Abrams designed Rey’s outfit so that it would be simple enough that kids could doodle it in class
- Preview some of the limited edition “Galaxy Premiere” merchandise which will be sold in select theaters
- John Boyega talks Force Awakens deleted scenes
- Watch BB-8 explore London.
- Header photo thanks to HeroicHollywood
All this and more in today’s Force Awakens Bits. Alright Chewie, Punch it! Hit the jump for hyperspace!
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
We’ve known for a long time that director JJ Abrams and cinematographer Daniel Mindel are shooting Star Wars Episode VII on 35mm film. Over the summer we learned something else: at least some portion of the film was shot on IMAX cameras. The photo that confirmed that data (above) showed an IMAX film camera, not one of the new digital systems used by Michael Bay on Transformers: Age of Extinction. So we know that the production is sticking with film.
Now we have a bit more info on the particulars of the Star Wars Episode VII IMAX shoot. As it turns out, there might be only one big IMAX sequence. Read More »
The first photo has been released from the set of JJ Abrams’ Star Wars Episode VII, on the first day of principal photography. The photo shows the Star Wars Episode 7 clapboard with a makeshift Episode 7 logo (no subtitle or working title).
UPDATE: A second photo has now been added.
Read More »
Walt Disney Pictures has sent out a press release announcing to start of principal photography on Andrew Stanton‘s big screen adaptation of John Carter of Mars. The release has full details on the cast and crew, including a few new details which hadn’t yet been reported in the trades:
- New cast members include: Ciaran Hinds (“Munich,” “There Will Be Blood”) and Daryl Sabara (“Disney’s A Christmas Carol,” “Spy Kids”) takes the role of John Carter’s teen-aged nephew, Edgar Rice Burroughs (the author who created Tarzan and John Carter).
The creative team includes Oscar®-nominated production designer Nathan Crowley (“Public Enemies,” “The Dark Knight,” “Batman Begins”), costume designer Mayes Rubeo (“Avatar,” “Apocalypto”), cinematographer Daniel Mindel (“Star Trek,” “Mission Impossible III,” “Spygame”) and video effects supervisor Peter Chiang (“The Reader,” “The Bourne Ultimatum”).
You can read the full press release after the jump, with official plot synopsis, and quotes from Stanton.
Read More »