The big questions coming out of Star Wars: The Force Awakens are who Rey’s parents are and where she comes from. Daisy Ridley‘s character even quips that its “a big mystery” early on in the film, and there are certainly a lot of theories going around to who it might be. One piece of evidence that many fans seem to be holding on to comes from John Williams‘ score from the film. We’ve posted about this in the past, but fans have analyzed Rey’s theme (the best song from the new movie) and have drawn some conclusions from that piece of music.
But did John Williams even know who Rey’s parents were when he wrote that piece or orchestration? If not, surely Oscar-nominated editor Maryann Brandon must have been told when she was helping J.J. Abrams shape the flow of the story in the editing room, right? The answer may surprise you — find out after the jump.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
It’s Star Wars Day, so you know what that means…an especially large edition of Star Wars Bits! In today’s edition:
- Director Chris Miller shares a photo of a very familiar weapon.
- Daisy Ridley wishes you a happy Star Wars Day (and asks you to donate some cash).
- Star Wars: Battlefront offers some Star Wars Day specials.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda‘s Star Wars: The Force Awakens track is now available.
- The time and location of next year’s Star Wars Celebration has been revealed.
- How to start making your own personal BB-8.
- New The Force Awakens posters from Tim Doyle.
- New Star Wars art from Joshua Budich.
- A BB-8 poster created by Andy Fairhurst for Bottleneck Gallery.
- A fanmade Star Wars art show.
- Marvel reveals a must-have Han Solo comic book cover.
- A relaxing and ambient trip to Dagobah.
- Eight minutes of gameplay from LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- The plot of The Force Awakens told through Emoji.
- And more!
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, April 19th, 2016 by Angie Han
J.J. Abrams and Daisy Ridley first joined forces to explore a certain galaxy far, far way, but now they’re looking to extend their relationship beyond the Star Wars universe. The pair are reuniting on Kolma, a fantasy thriller to be produced by Abrams’ Bad Robot. But Abrams isn’t directing this time around. Instead, that job will go to Marielle Heller, who broke out last year with the superb coming-of-age story Diary of a Teenage Girl. Read More »
While that new Rogue One trailer grabbed all of the recent headlines, production on Star Wars: Episode 8 has continued in full force. In today’s edition of Episode 8 Bits:
- The great Frank Oz has apparently reported to Episode 8‘s Pinewood Studios set.
- A look at Poe Dameron’s new wardrobe.
- Details of a “casino” scene and other potential spoilers.
- Mark Hamill and Rian Johnson get silly on Twitter.
- Adam Driver chats about the differences between Rian Johnson and J.J. Abrams.
- Daisy Ridley explains why Rey’s parents don’t matter.
- A new look at the film’s Irish sets.
- John Boyega calls Kelly Marie Tran one of Episode 8‘s leads.
Read More »
After the pure excitement from the debut of the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story trailer died down, people started picking apart the trailer frame by frame (and that includes us). One of the more popular theories about what we saw in the trailer was that Jyn Erso, the lead rebel character played by Felicity Jones, might be the mother of our new favorite future Jedi, Rey from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
There weren’t really any clear hints that this theory could be true beyond the fact that Jyn Erso was white, brunette, had a British accent, had a similar background to Rey, and shared some common facial features. Plus, Jyn could easily have a child sometime between A New Hope and The Force Awakens who could have grown up to be the stranded Jakku orphan. That’s not exactly the strongest evidence, but the theory gained traction and fans thought it made sense.
Unfortunately, Daisy Ridley has just put out that fire by debunking the theory about Rey’s mother in Star Wars. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
With the exception of some sneaky spy photos from a few different shooting locations for Star Wars: Episode VIII, we haven’t seen much from the sequel so far. An announcement of production showed off the return to Skellig Michael with Rey (Daisy Ridley) attempting to hand off the lightsaber MacGuffin from Star Wars: The Force Awakens to Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), but we don’t know what’s going to happen when we return to that moment right at the beginning of Episode VIII.
Now a new photo from Pinewood Studios has been revealed by Mark Hamill himself, in honor of Daisy Ridley’s birthday. Sadly, it doesn’t show us anything from the actual set, but it does recreate a very familiar pairing from The Empire Strikes Back, one that Luke Skywalker is all too familiar with on a little planet called Dagobah. See the Star Wars Episode VIII photo from the set below. Read More »
Okay, so we might be hitting the bottom of the barrel in terms of Star Wars: The Force Awakens unanswered questions at this point, but this was something I had been curious about since the first screening of the movie: Was the island that Rey dreams about the same island that we see at the end of the film? Find out more about the island in Rey’s dreams, after the jump.
Read More »
Kasper Møller Jensen has edited together a short video exploring the visual elements and framings used by JJ Abrams to show the isolation and loneliness of Daisy Ridley‘s character Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Read More »
In conjunction with the Blu Ray release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on April 5th 2016, Bottleneck Gallery and Acme Archives have once again teamed for a brand new official print,”Rey”, by John Keaveney. See John’s beautiful Rey print featuring the likeness of actress Daisy Ridley after the jump and learn more.
Read More »