Sicario was one of 2015’s best quiet successes. Director Denis Villeneuve‘s drug war thriller never made a huge splash, but it made dozens of tiny splashes, impressing audiences and critics alike while flying under the radar. The film received enthusiastic reviews, nabbed three Oscar nominations, and grossed $80 million worldwide against a budget of only $30 million. /Film’s staff declared it the eleventh best film of 2015. Not bad. Not bad at all.
Now, producers Molly Smith, Trent Luckinbill, and Thad Luckinbill have confirmed that a sequel is in development and that they expect original stars Emily Blunt, Benicio del Toro, and Josh Brolin to reprise their roles.
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
One week before the animated film was slated to hit theaters in the United States, Paramount Pictures has pulled The Little Prince from its schedule release date of March 18th, 2016. The film has been waiting to hit theaters in the US since debuting at the Cannes Film Festival last year and hitting various international markets afterwards. It’s already grossed $80 million overseas, but now it will have to wait a bit longer for a debut in the United States. However, the good news is that it sounds like we’ll still see the movie this year. Find out more about The Little Prince release date after the jump. Read More »
Out of everyone at this Hollywood Reporter actors roundtable, only Mark Ruffalo (Spotlight) was actually nominated for an Academy Award. Not like that really matters, but this video interview does highlight some of the talent the Academy members overlooked this year, such as Samuel L. Jackson (The Hateful Eight), Benicio Del Toro (Sicario), and Michael Caine (Youth).
After the jump, watch this group of actors and more discuss their careers, success, and fear in The Hollywood Report actors roundtable.
Read More »
Posted on Wednesday, January 13th, 2016 by Jacob Hall
Today’s edition of Star Wars Bits is jam-packed with galactic-sized goodness, so we don’t even time for a proper introduction. We don’t! Honest! We really just need to dive into the details as fast as possible and not waste time at the top here. Cool? Cool. Okay, here’s what you’ll find contained within:
- Princess Leia arrives on the next episode of Star Wars Rebels.
- John Boyega teases a dark future for Finn.
- J.J. Abrams has advice for the young Han Solo actor.
- A glimpse of a Rogue One: A Star Wars Story X-Wing.
- Jabba the Hutt may return in a future Star Wars movie.
- A Kickstarter-funded Star Wars documentary has found a distributor.
- Benicio del Toro chats about Star Wars: Episode 8 and his villainous role.
- A fascinating interview with the man who played Jar Jar Binks.
- Take a look at every type of lightsaber out there.
Read More »
Posted on Tuesday, January 12th, 2016 by Angie Han
It was always a given that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 would bring back its five core cast members (Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, and Vin Diesel). But the status of the franchise’s supporting characters have been a little less certain. Yondu (Michael Rooker) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) are both confirmed to return; Ronan (Lee Pace), not so much. And what about the Collector? According to Benicio Del Toro, he won’t be back for the next installment, either. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Posted on Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 by Jack Giroux
Update from Editor Peter Sciretta: Paramount Pictures has finally released the domstic trailer for The Little Prince, you can watch The little Prince trailer embedded after the jump, alongside the previously released international trailer.
Read More »
If you haven’t ventured out to theaters to see the drug trafficking action thriller Sicario, allow me to recommend that you stop dragging your feet and take a chance on what may be one of the best films of the year. It’s an intense, white knuckle flick featuring a bad ass performance from Emily Blunt, and a scene-stealing turn from Benicio del Toro.
And when you see the film, you probably won’t realize there are actually a bunch of impressive, unnoticeable visual effects in the movie. But a Sicario visual effects reel from Oblique FX shows just what was real and what was digitally created. Having just seen the movie recently, I was floored after learning just how many visual effects were employed. However, if you haven’t seen Sicario, beware of minor spoilers. Read More »
In today’s edition of Star Wars Bits, we take a look at the following:
- Star Wars 8 director Rian Johnson tweets out a photo of his screenplay.
- The new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer is supposedly edited and making the corporate rounds.
- When is the final Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer getting released? October? November?
- New details on what to expect in the Star Wars Battlefront beta.
- See the comic cover art for Darth Vader #15, the grand finale of Marvel’s upcoming crossover event “Vader Down”.
- Benicio del Toro explains what he likes about his Star Wars Episode VIII director Rian Johnson.
- See Paul Shipper’s amazing Star Wars: The Force Awakens character prints.
- And the header photo is Daniel Hoogkamp‘s BB-8 pumpkin.
All this and more. Hit the jump to hyperspace to get started.
Read More »
Of any film in current release right now, the one that seems least likely to get a sequel is Denis Villeneuve‘s drug war thriller Sicario. But that sequel is exactly the one that is supposedly in development right now.
Since most of you haven’t seen Sicario yet — it opened in just six theaters this past weekend and will expand over the next couple weeks — we’ll keep any specifics until after the break.
Read More »