Posted on Monday, October 22nd, 2012 by Angie Han
There’s a lot of new stuff to get through in today’s TV Bits, so let’s get right to it. After the jump:
- AMC and Dish settle legal dispute; AMC resumes airing on Dish
- Why The Walking Dead ended up at AMC instead of HBO or NBC
- NBC euthanizes Animal Practice and brings back Whitney
- Louis C.K. lines up his Saturday Night Live hosting debut
- Taken director Pierre Morel will work on NBC pilot After Hours
- Pitch Perfect helmer Jason Moore will direct ABC’s Trophy Wife
- Brendan Fraser heads to TNT for the drama pilot Legends
- Andy Samberg joins Mike Schur and Dan Goor‘s new comedy
- Craig Robinson lands the lead in Greg Daniels‘ NBC sitcom
- Arrested Development re-hires Carl Weathers, gets a documentary
- Check out Dany, Ser Jorah, and more on Game of Thrones‘ Qarth set
Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Wednesday, August 29th, 2012 by Angie Han
With her sharp, sarcastic persona, Aubrey Plaza could’ve easily wound up with a decent career playing BFF and sidekick roles. But in this year’s heartwarming indie hit Safety Not Guaranteed, she proved herself equally up for the task of leading a film — and now she’s about to do so again in next year’s The To Do List.
The cast list for the R-rated coming-of-age comedy reads is chock full of funny young talents. In addition to Plaza, Alia Shawkat, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Donald Glover, Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Rachel Bilson, Scott Porter, Johnny Simmons, and Sarah Steele all co-star. Connie Britton and Clark Gregg take on the rare grown-up roles, apparently as Plaza’s parents. CBS Films has just offered a first red-band (i.e., NSFW) look at the film in a new video announcing the release date. Watch it after the jump.
Read More »
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was a great surprise, a fun and very well-animated film that stands as one of the better kids’ films released in the last few years. (And therefore is also a good watch for adults.) While Cloudy directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller are only producing the sequel Cloudy 2: Revenge of the Leftovers, they’ve handed off directorial duties to Cody Cameron (story artist on Cloudy) and Kris Pearn (head of story on the first film), who are working from a script by John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein and Erica Rivinoja.
The directorial change isn’t the only big one happening, however, as Mr. T, who voiced the intense, enthusiastic town cop Earl, will not be heard this time. The character does return, however, voiced by Terry Crews. We’ve got some more cast info and a lot of story details below. Read More »
Thanks to recent films like Jack and Jill and That’s My Boy!, Adam Sandler has taken prominence as the biggest critical comedic punching bag. So when some people see that he’s voicing Dracula in Hotel Transylvania, I’m sure there will be some automatic dismissals of the film.
But while Hotel Transylvania reunites Sandler and his That’s My Boy! co-star Andy Samberg, the film is also from Genndy Taratkovsky, the animation director behind such fare as Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. His sensibilities are often great, and his touch is all over this new trailer. And while Hotel Transylvania is pretty silly, it is also a film expressly for kids. (As opposed to Sandler’s other recent adult-skewing material.) So I’m ready to give it a shot. Read More »
Anyone who thinks the disappointing box office of That’s My Boy marked the end of Andy Samberg‘s post Saturday Night Live film career hasn’t seen Celeste and Jesse Forever. The Sundance favorite finally hits theaters August 3 and features the actor in a crowd-pleasing romantic comedy alongside Rashida Jones, who co-wrote the film. They play long time soulmates who were married, happy, but then divorce and try to remain friends. Instead of handling the premise in a kitschy and stupid way, though, director Lee Toland Krieger (The Vicious Kind) presents much more realistic, sweet, mature emotions.
Check out the trailer for the film, which co-stars Elijah Wood, Ari Graynor, Chris Messina, Emma Roberts and Eric Christian Olsen, below. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
Adam Sandler and crew have been promoting That’s My Boy for so long now, I feel like it’s already come and gone. He was at the Super Bowl talking about the film, on ESPN before that and now, finally, after over six months of hype, the film will finally be released next week. In the movie, Sandler plays a man who fathers a child in his teens and then, when his child (Andy Samberg) gets married, the young father comes back into his life.
I have yet to see the film but the buzz I’ve heard from people who have is that That’s My Boy is a bit of a return to form for Sandler. Instead of the weak sauce of Grown Ups and Jack & Jill, this movie is apparently a very dirty, very nasty, hard R-rated comedy. To push that, Sony has released a second Red Band trailer for the film. Check it out below. Read More »
A fan favorite creator returns to TV, Saturday Night Live gives birth to another movie star, own a piece of television history and get ready for the finale of TV’s best show all in today’s TV Bits. After the jump read about:
- Damon Lindelof will return to television after signing a three-year deal to develop a new show.
- Catherine Tate will be returning to The Office as a regular next season.
- Andy Samberg will, indeed, be leaving Saturday Night Live as rumored.
- As seen on Hollywood Treasure, the season one American Horror Story house is now on the market.
- The third season of the acclaimed Starz show, Spartacus, will be its last.
- Breaking Bad‘s fifth and final season gets a brand new poster and plot description.
Read More »
So much to get to today. After the jump read about:
- Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz and Christopher Mintz-Plasse are all very close to signing for Kick Ass 2.
- Never fear, Christina Applegate will return as Veronica Corningstone in Anchorman: The Legend Continues.
- Piranha 3DD is out in theaters today as well as video on demand, making it the first 3D movie to do that.
- Die Hard 5, A Good Day To Die Hard, just added Victoria’s Secret and Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Anne Vyalitsyna to its cast.
- A young actress’ photos from the set of Star Trek 2 reveal a new Starfleet outfit.
- Weak tracking numbers have Universal backtracking on Snow White and the Huntsman 2 talk.
- Andy Samberg is wearing very tight, white short shorts on the set of Grown Ups 2.
- Men in Black 3 gets censored in China and a wardrobe lawsuit.
Read More »
In 2005, Andy Samberg and Chris Parnell kind of invented the viral video with Lazy Sunday, a rap song on Saturday Night Live about an activity filled Sunday in Manhattan. The song was catchy, funny, introduced millions of people to YouTube and probably drove up tickets sales a few dollars for The Chronic-WHAT-cles of Narnia. That was seven years ago.
This past weekend marked Kristen Wiig’s final Saturday Night Live, and possibly Samberg’s, so they commemorated the occasion with a sequel, Lazy Sunday 2. No trips to Magnolia Cupcakes or The Chronicles of Narnia this time, though. It’s all about mimosas and Sister Act the musical. Check it out after the jump. Read More »