Curious why the calendar has almost turned and we still have little to no information about Star Wars Episode VII? Because the people paying for it don’t have much information either. Alan Horn, the Chairman of Disney, was speaking at a Variety event Friday morning and revealed he expects to finally see a script for J.J. Abrams‘ film in January. Because of that, the budget for the film hasn’t been set, but they’re expecting something in the $200 million range.
Horn also discussed the recent Indiana Jones news at the event. Read more after the jump. Read More »
Please Recommend /Film on Facebook
Posted on Monday, November 11th, 2013 by Angie Han
Buttercup and Wesley’s epic romance took them from an idyllic farm to a castle, a torture chamber, the high seas, and the Fire Swamp. Now it’s also bringing them to the theater.
Disney Theatrical Productions is working on a stage adaptation of The Princess Bride, with Alan Horn shepherding for the studio. William Goldman, who wrote the 1973 novel on which Rob Reiner‘s 1987 film was based, will collaborate. Hit the jump for more details.
Read More »
Disney’s live-action panel is under way at the company’s D23 expo in Anaheim CA right now, and Disney chief Alan Horn didn’t waste time getting right to what everyone wants to hear about : Star Wars.
But the short news is that there’s no news. Horn basically recapped the info we know: Michael Arndt is scripting, J.J. Abrams is directing, and John Williams will provide the score for Star Wars: Episode VII. Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on spin-off movies. And while there has been some speculation that the film would arrive later than 2015, Horn said the film would arrive in the summer of that year, as originally intended.
To the great disappointment of the D23 crowd, however, Horn said there would be no further news — no title or cast reveal, no story info — at D23. So that’s it for Star Wars now, unless they turn around and pull a surprise reveal at the end of the panel. That doesn’t seem likely to happen, so we’ll have to wait for real news.
When people think of The Wizard of Oz, they think of the 1939 film starring Judy Garland. Yellow brick roads, munchkins, ruby slippers, the wicked witch, all that stuff. Fast forward about 75 years and Disney releases Oz the Great and Powerful, a prequel that features iconography very similar to, but not exactly the same, as the famous film. The reason? Warner Bros. owns the rights to the 1939 classic, but not the L. Frank Baum book it’s based on, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Sam Raimi and his team were very careful not to use any of Warner Bros.’ intellectual property, going so far as having lawyers present during production to make sure they didn’t cross the line. So there are no ruby slippers, the witch isn’t the same color green, the Emerald City looks different, etc. It’s close, but just different enough to avoid a lawsuit.
On its opening weekend, Disney and Raimi’s gamble paid off, grossing an impressive $80 million and work on a sequel has begun. The cash is rolling in for the Mouse House much to the chagrin of Warner Bros., who rightfully feels a certain ownership to the property.
The Los Angeles Times has a fascinating article on how the success of Oz will not only help Disney, but set up a major rivalry between them and Warners who has several Oz related projects in the pipeline including multiple movies at various stages of development. Read More »
Posted on Friday, November 30th, 2012 by Angie Han
Is Revenge of the Sith the greatest work of our generation? One art critic thinks so. Also after the jump:
- Disney chief Alan Horn promises to reveal Episode VII director “soon”
- Special effects artist Rick Baker hopes to return for more Star Wars
- Episode VII fan art speculates on what we’ll see in the new trilogy
Read More »
Disney’s search for a new exec to replace the fired chairman Rich Ross has come to an end today. Alan Horn, the former president and chief operating officer at Warner Bros., is the new chairman of Disney’s motion picture studio. Read More »
Cool Posts From Around the Web:
So with a sequel to The Dark Knight taking a backseat until Christopher Nolan can come up with the inspiration, what can we expect from Warner Bros next?
Will Superman return? Warner Bros President Alan Horn tells Collider that while they are “very anxious to bring Superman back” it will probably happen in “the next couple of years.” Not a confident answer if you ask me.
So what then?
“I think Green Lantern is probably the best guess but I can’t promise it at this moment,” Horn said, adding that it’s “On the runway. Hasn’t taken off yet, but we’re close.”
Meanwhile, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the filmmakers have already started scouting locations and interviewing key crew members in Sydney Australia’s NSW Fox Studios. Apparently the studio is in a bidding war with Victoria, British Columbia for the project, and a decision has yet to be made by Warner Bros. But it certainly is sounding like the greenlight is quickly approaching. Greg Berlanti is still attached to direct.